STEREO HYBRID 160 REPLACEMENT HEADSET BEARINGS

Ski-nut

Aug 31, 2019
York
The FSA headset fitted to my bike from new started to creak and feel rough, despite stripping down and re greasing after 2/3 rides it either began to creak or developed play. When I had it dismantled, water was present in the cups/ bearings. The design of the FSA headset is poor as there are no seals to stop water entering into the top and bottom cup. After a great (very wet) 3 days riding in lakes a few weeks ago the issue re appeared.
I decided to replace the complete headset, looked at Hope and Cane Creek then stumbled across Superstar Components, a UK engineering company, and hastily bought one from them as it was simple to identify the correct headset on their website.
Got a complete headset, (top and bottom cups, bearings and top cap). Used original stem and better spacers that I had from a previous bike. The quality of the headset was far superior to the oem FSA headset. The Superstar Components headset has seals top and bottom to prevent water entering, the bearings look like quality, the appearance is much better and they are manufactured in the UK. Best of all, the price was less than £30 using a discount code!
Had 1 ride out with new headset and all is good. Time will tell, but the design and quality is top notch. Very impressed.

I love the bike, this is the only issue I've had with the bike since buying it in February. Apart from brake pads and a chain this is the only component I have replaced.

h1.jpg

IMG-1834.JPG

IMG-1835.JPG

IMG-1836.JPG

IMG-1838.JPG

IMG-1840.JPG

RJW

Mar 11, 2021
Sutton Coldfield
Hi - I just joined this forum as was looking for new head set for my bike. I have exactly the same model as you so was wondering if you could send me the product code for your super star head set. Looks mint by the way! Stock cube head set is - well crap

Harvey

May 15, 2022
March
Can I ask, did you need anything else when you swopped out to the Superstar Headset kit? I have the FSA headset, it’s garbage, I’ve just ordered a complete kit, I was just thinking of the tapered fork hence my question 😁

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
The FSA headset fitted to my bike from new started to creak and feel rough, despite stripping down and re greasing after 2/3 rides it either began to creak or developed play. When I had it dismantled, water was present in the cups/ bearings. The design of the FSA headset is poor as there are no seals to stop water entering into the top and bottom cup. After a great (very wet) 3 days riding in lakes a few weeks ago the issue re appeared.
I decided to replace the complete headset, looked at Hope and Cane Creek then stumbled across Superstar Components, a UK engineering company, and hastily bought one from them as it was simple to identify the correct headset on their website.
Got a complete headset, (top and bottom cups, bearings and top cap). Used original stem and better spacers that I had from a previous bike. The quality of the headset was far superior to the oem FSA headset. The Superstar Components headset has seals top and bottom to prevent water entering, the bearings look like quality, the appearance is much better and they are manufactured in the UK. Best of all, the price was less than £30 using a discount code!
Had 1 ride out with new headset and all is good. Time will tell, but the design and quality is top notch. Very impressed.

I love the bike, this is the only issue I've had with the bike since buying it in February. Apart from brake pads and a chain this is the only component I have replaced.

View attachment 44863

View attachment 44864

View attachment 44865

View attachment 44866

View attachment 44867

View attachment 44868
Nice find! Did your FSA make any clicking noises? Trying to figure out if it's my forks or headset that's clicking.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles