STEREO HYBRID 140 HPC 2021 - Groupset downgrade from SL to TM?

backstep

Sep 11, 2020
Valencia, Spain

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I am no expert, but it could be a way to offset the impact of the price hike from the suspension. I think generally on an ebike the groupset is less important than the suspension because a large part of grouset cost is about weight. Or maybe it is conditioned by the wheelset and magura brakes, Cube seem to always have the MT7 and SRAM combo on the TM (Edit: not on the 2019 model, they were running XT). Anyway, I think the TM is the choice if you do tougher trails and long descents based on the suspension.
So basically, i am not much help, but like voicing my opinion :cool:.

Last edited:

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I am no expert, but it could be a way to offset the impact of the price hike from the suspension. I think generally on an ebike the groupset is less important than the suspension because a large part of grouset cost is about weight. Or maybe it is conditioned by the wheelset and magura brakes, Cube seem to always have the MT7 and SRAM combo on the TM (Edit: not on the 2019 model, they were running XT). Anyway, I think the TM is the choice if you do tougher trails and long descents based on the suspension.
So basically, i am not much help, but like voicing my opinion :cool:.
I agree. You get better suspention set. NX works fine, aldo Shimano XT could be smother. MAgura7 vs XT, also dificult choice, but both are going to work fine.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
With weight less of a consideration with an EMTB, hoping the steel chainring and cassette will last a decent amount of time but crucially relatively cheap to replace

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I´ve put 1500 Km in a NX drivetrain with my 2019 160 and working fine till I sold it . Actual bike (CUbe 140) and XT works fine /smother but neding more atention in adjusts and clutch maintenace/cleaning (maybe more demanding use as I´ve been using emtb more often) . Maybe in near future I will go for another 160 and if it cames with NX I´ll swallow it gladly.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have had both drivetrains. my last Cube 160 Race had the Shimano XT (6000 km). My current TM 160 has the Sram NX (2700 KM)
Actually I trashed my NX on Saturday when I dropped my bike over a cliff. It appears that the Derailleur and derailleur hanger are all that got dmaged. (I hope)
I would say both drivetrains perform pretty similarly. The only thing that annoys me with the Sram NX is that when changing gears, you can only do one at a time. So after rolling down a hill and picking up speed, you have to frantically clicky clicky click through 12 gears to get to the correct gear. Also on the Shimano the thumb and Finger option was also pretty nice. But that is all. My Sram changes very smoothly (Used to anyway) and it cost €70 to order the replacement part.

Last edited:

dr4ews

Sep 23, 2020
Barcelona (Spain)
I'm trying to decide between a STEREO HYBRID 140 HPC TM 625 at €5349 (CUBE Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC TM 625 flashgrey´n´orange) or the SL at €4649 (CUBE Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC SL 625 iridium´n´green). I noticed that the TM uses Sram's NX Eagle groupset whilst the cheaper SL uses Shimano's XT. As far as I understand the XT is significantly better than the NX. Does anyone know why Cube might have put the cheaper set on the more expensive bike?

The SL uses XT only on the derailleur, the levers are Deore, the same with the cassete, chain and hubs, deore too...

The TM has better fork and shock than SL (the most expensive and makes difference) better wheels and brakes, the TM worth the extra cost

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
The only thing that annoys me with the Sram NX is that when changing gears, you can only do one at a time. So after rolling down a hill and picking up speed, you have to frantically clicky clicky click through 12 gears to get to the correct gear.

You can replace the shifter with a non ebike version of course to give you multi shift.

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England
I’ve gone for the decent rear shock and I don’t like SRAM. Would rather have the XT but felt the shock was going to have more impact on my riding that clunky gearing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles