• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Steps Unlocker issue

Bramoss

Feb 10, 2020
Netherlands
Hi MassDeduction - thanks for your contribution to the discussion.
Re your 24/25 km query - yes in the EU any eBike capable of travelling faster than 25 km/h must be considered a moped if used on public roads.
I carefully observed when my bike’s motor support ceases by cycling up a steady gradient and watching the display - the current Shimano motors don’t suddenly cut out at a precise speed - support tapers off. On my eBike I noticed that motor support starts to reduce at just under 24 km/h and stops completely somewhere between 24 & 24.5 km/h (I haven’t bothered checking the accuracy of the display against an external means of measuring speed though).
I guess Shimano purposely calibrate their motors to cut out at a lower figure than 25 km/h to reliably stay on the right side of the law, it’s telling that their ETube app explicitly states powered support is up 24 km/h on EU drive units.
Best of luck configuring your E8000.....

Hello Johnny.

I have a question for you. I also have a e6100 motor. I can increase the assistance up from 191% to maximum 238% and the torque up to 60nm. And it works.
But as soon as i disconnect the battery everything goes back to default settings.

Fortunately the speedrestricion from eu to usa setting stays in the memory.

Do you also have this problem? Thanks i advance.

Johnnie

Sep 8, 2019
Ireland
Do you also have this problem? Thanks i advance.

Hi Bramoss,
I have been wary of repeatedly winding the assistance/torque settings up on my ebike for fear of damaging the motor.
But yes out of curiosity I did make the same adjustment a couple of times recently and briefly tested the bike on each occasion.
I can confirm that my e6100 behaves in exactly the same manner as you describe - the assistance/torque reverts to default when the battery is disconnected.
Hope this helps.

Bramoss

Feb 10, 2020
Netherlands
Hi Bramoss,
I have been wary of repeatedly winding the assistance/torque settings up on my ebike for fear of damaging the motor.
But yes out of curiosity I did make the same adjustment a couple of times recently and briefly tested the bike on each occasion.
I can confirm that my e6100 behaves in exactly the same manner as you describe - the assistance/torque reverts to default when the battery is disconnected.
Hope this helps.

Well... i just figured that shimano is marketing the e6100 as a motor capabel of 60nm whilst mine is stuck on 50nm i should be able to change it. It didnt cross my mind i could damage the motor. But you are right, i certainly dont want to jeopardize the warranty for such a minimal advantage.
Thanks for your reply.

Johny72

Apr 1, 2021
Germany
Hello vadll,

i readed about the free licence you offerd some time ago.. are you still give them ?

We are a group of bikers , most on E8000 ( i personally and a friend go on Focus Bold 2)
me and my friend are very interested to both try it out, experience a little bit with it and show the effects to all the others and hopefully they are going and buy the App then and stop thinking about buying badass boxes or something like that.

Thank you in advance and may the force be with you.

Live long and Prosper
Johny72

Johny72

Apr 1, 2021
Germany
No matter, No Problem, i already bought it and it works. So i am ready to show my Mates and they should decide for themself.

The Difference beetween 25 and 32 is not that much, but for riding the Bike it feels like a Big difference.

If you setup another Speed except that, it will scramble the Recorded KM, and the Speed shown ?

Googy

Jun 5, 2021
Australia
Hi Vadll i have just sold my 2020 e8000 and i used stunlocker to change the country setting to 32kph without any issues.
The new owner would like to now use the same app is my licence tranferable or would he have to get another licence?
Cheers
Gary

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
The Premium licence was issued for a bike. The new owner can use it

Hi Vadll i have just sold my 2020 e8000 and i used stunlocker to change the country setting to 32kph without any issues.
The new owner would like to now use the same app is my licence tranferable or would he have to get another licence?
Cheers
Gary

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles