Steps Unlocker IOS

Wadders

May 20, 2019
Woking
There is one data field in the blackbox output that shows maximum speed reached. If you de-restricted (or set this above the legal limit for your location) and they see this they might have a reason to void your warranty status. No idea if they check this parameter when dealing with warranty, but be aware that it's there.
Not necessarily true as you can easily ride beyond the "assisted 32km/h"......

Wadders

May 20, 2019
Woking
Thanks raine, but I'm looking at it at a less complex level.

Will it be obvious I have used the 'Steps Unlocker' app without the dealer, or whoever, having to delve into any blackbox, as that alone might suggest I have been a naughty boy?

Motor is currently throwing up error code EO10 a couple of times, with WO13 coming up after the second EO10 warning. Anyone else had this with their E8000?
Had this, it came up on my Mondraker on its 1st ride - bike change was the fix

Wadders

May 20, 2019
Woking
well obviously if it's excessively high it will throw up a red flag.
Even if its excessively higher, the motor isn't assisting past 32km/h..... Unless you have fully derestricted it. Essentially it's not really derestricting the bike by changing the legal speed limit for your countries legal limit...

Last edited:

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Sorry, just saying. ?‍♂️
E010 is apparently a general error. Could mean over heating or torgue sensor fault.

Extract from manual.

"E010 – System error detected

Restrictions:
No power assist while riding.

Remedy:
Restart the power system. If no improvement, connect unit to E-TUBE and follow instructions. If error persists, contact place of purchase."

As you say, generic motor issue but WO13, the second error code to appear, is the torque sensor so it's not looking good.

Last edited:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Be careful if you choose to use this app - it displays incorrect data, particularly related to the "market" or mode that the system is operating in. Mine is a USA spec drive unit that operates up to the 32 KPH limit (verified and tested), but this software tells me it's in EU mode. If you can't get that right, I'm not sure I'd want it writing other values to my drive system components. I deleted it.

Last edited:

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Be careful if you choose to use this app - it displays incorrect data, particularly related to the "market" or mode that the system is operating in. Mine is a USA spec drive unit that operates up to the 32 KPH limit (verified and tested), but this software tells me it's in EU mode. If you can't get that right, I'm not sure I'd want it writing other values to my drive system components. I deleted it.
Not my experience of this app it's worked perfectly from day 1

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Do you have a USA spec bike? If not, I'm not sure how you can suggest that my problem with the app doesn't exist. It does.

I have a USA spec bike (also verified and tested), no problem like you described. I've ran the app since v1.0 on both Android and iOS.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Latest Instruction manual (v1.5.x) attached; note that the manual has been combined to cover iOS/iPadOS and Android versions of the app. If anyone sees a typo, let me know

Attachments

• STEPS Unlocker Manual 1.5.x.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,541

MisterMT

Oct 30, 2019
UK
Very tempted by this app... if I simply switch from EU to US region, will this make it harder for me to get repairs etc, or can I just switch back before doing that?

MisterMT

Oct 30, 2019
UK
Really?

Think about it, it's not that difficult: if you need to bring it in for a repair but you can still connect to your bike and switch it back- then yes. If you mess up your e-bike and you cannot connect to it with the app anymore, then no.

OK, that makes sense.

Is there a high incidence of not being able to reconnect etc?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OK, that makes sense.

Is there a high incidence of not being able to reconnect etc?

No. Normally you can re-connect fine. But there's always the possibility that if either the battery has completely died or the motor has totally frazzled itself somehow, then you wouldn't be able to connect. You could also be really unlucky and have a dead bluetooth module. If the motor was totally frazzled, then there's a good chance they wouldn't be able to see that you'd changed it. Not sure how likely it is that a shop would check to see what the speed assistance geographical zone was set to in case of an issue. Probably more likely the first they'd do is just factory reset it anyway to see if that fixes the problem.

MisterMT

Oct 30, 2019
UK
No. Normally you can re-connect fine. But there's always the possibility that if either the battery has completely died or the motor has totally frazzled itself somehow, then you wouldn't be able to connect. You could also be really unlucky and have a dead bluetooth module. If the motor was totally frazzled, then there's a good chance they wouldn't be able to see that you'd changed it. Not sure how likely it is that a shop would check to see what the speed assistance geographical zone was set to in case of an issue. Probably more likely the first they'd do is just factory reset it anyway to see if that fixes the problem.

Gotcha, thanks.

re factory reset in case of messing up, is that possible to do at home? I had a quick look around and didnt find anything obvious.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Just being straightforward here - You sound like yet another person who is trying to get a 100% guarantee that nothing will go wrong if you use the STunlocker app and if you mess up you want a 100% guarantee that you can fix it yourself.

TBH: that's not gonna happen.

Either you accept the responsibility and risk that there is a possibility that you might mess something up, or you don't use the app and don't worry about it.

Shimano E8000 ST Unlocker..now bike doesn't work - EMTB Forums

Read that thread above. Somehow that person messed their e-bike up and immediately assumed it was the fault of the STunlocker app (pretty sure it wasn't).

If any of that scares you, then don't bother using STunlocker and just stick to the Shimano app and the features it gives you.

MisterMT

Oct 30, 2019
UK
Just being straightforward here - You sound like yet another person who is trying to get a 100% guarantee that nothing will go wrong if you use the STunlocker app and if you mess up you want a 100% guarantee that you can fix it yourself.

TBH: that's not gonna happen.

Either you accept the responsibility and risk that there is a possibility that you might mess something up, or you don't use the app and don't worry about it.

Shimano E8000 ST Unlocker..now bike doesn't work - EMTB Forums

Read that thread above. Somehow that person messed their e-bike up and immediately assumed it was the fault of the STunlocker app (pretty sure it wasn't).

If any of that scares you, then don't bother using STunlocker and just stick to the Shimano app and the features it gives you.

Not sure that quite right.

Risk is not all or nothing, it can usually have some kind of value attached to it.

I’m just trying to assess the level of risk I would be taking on. And I appreciate the answers people are offering here. This all seems normal enough to me.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I’m just trying to assess the level of risk I would be taking on. And I appreciate the answers people are offering here. This all seems normal enough to me.

I understand that... but I'm sure you're already aware that this app is not official, it's not approved nor endorsed by Shimano. So logically if you are doing things you're not technically supposed to do, your LBS or Shimano dealership or Shimano themselves can deny any warranty or repair.

You want a level of risk? Not a problem, here's reality:

- 100% you risk voiding your warranty
- 100% you choose to use an unofficial app to do things not meant to be done by Shimano
- 100% you choose if you want to use the STUnlocker app on your e-bike at all
- 100% no one is responsible except you if you mess things up while using the app
- 100% no one is forcing or making you use the STUnlocker app on your ebike

Now don't get me wrong - nothing personal, it might sound like I'm being harsh but I'm just pointing out the facts. if you (or anyone else) can't get past accepting 100% responsibility up front if you use the app, then hey - just don't use the app. What I mean by "100% responsibility" is not wondering if you're still covered under warranty, not asking if there's a way to fix things if you do something wrong, not worrrying if a Shimano dealer or LBS will "find out" that you used an app if they have to try to fix it, etc.

Hasse Birkmose

Jul 19, 2019
Denmark
If you are riding trails in areas with steep gradients up and down unlocking will make almost no difference. Some times rolling trails on gentle gradients the cutout at 25 might annoy you. I am using the unlocker because i am also commuting on the bike trough mellow hills on forest roads where the limit is super annoying. With the limit i am a lot slover than on my gravel bike.
I am taking the risk of a warranty with my eyes open. If there is a motor or other electronic problem the service will probably be done at a local certified Shimano shop. I am counting on them to not go all haywire if they se the "tuning". If they do i will have to pay for the repair or replacement whatever it may be.......

MisterMT

Oct 30, 2019
UK
If you are riding trails in areas with steep gradients up and down unlocking will make almost no difference. Some times rolling trails on gentle gradients the cutout at 25 might annoy you. I am using the unlocker because i am also commuting on the bike trough mellow hills on forest roads where the limit is super annoying. With the limit i am a lot slover than on my gravel bike.
I am taking the risk of a warranty with my eyes open. If there is a motor or other electronic problem the service will probably be done at a local certified Shimano shop. I am counting on them to not go all haywire if they se the "tuning". If they do i will have to pay for the repair or replacement whatever it may be.......

Yeah, I’ve been finding it fine on the heath, hills and forest trails round where I live. It's the getting there that’s annoying.

maybe after Brexit the UK will change it’s limit to the US standard. I hear it’s one of the top priorities. :)

MisterMT

Oct 30, 2019
UK
OK, I went for it. So far so good. Decent quick responses to licensing, connection all went fine, so far tried a minimal adjustment (market), and it seemed to work.

Staving off the temptation to go for more at this stage... seems this is actually what I was looking for, and will try it over some time. Will report back later, but initial experience is positive. (Interesting to see Raine credited on the manual :) )

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles