Steps Unlocker IOS

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Can someone help me (I'm thinking maybe you Raine :)) but I'm getting confused?

My Shimano powered Focus has the latest 4.7 firmware loaded.

All I want to do is to apply the US market settings for that extra four miles per hour.

Is there an IOS Steps Unlocker app currently available to allow me to do this or do I need to wait for the latest one which is currently awaiting approval from Apple?

Thanks

CB

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
The current Step Unlocker for iOS can now do this, it’s up on the App Store as it’s passed the approval/check process that Apple have.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Can someone help me (I'm thinking maybe you Raine :)) but I'm getting confused?

My Shimano powered Focus has the latest 4.7 firmware loaded.

All I want to do is to apply the US market settings for that extra four miles per hour.

Is there an IOS Steps Unlocker app currently available to allow me to do this or do I need to wait for the latest one which is currently awaiting approval from Apple?

Thanks

CB

Yes - STEPS Unlocker v1.2, just went live on App Store.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Yes use Etube, standard firmware update method

So, just to clarify. If I already downgraded from 4.7.0 to 4.6.1 in order to used the destination features of Steps Unlocker, I can now just use the eTube app to upgrade back to 4.7.0 without any intervention from the latest version of Steps Unlocker or do I need to re-use the latest version of Steps Unlocker after I have upgraded to 4.7.0 with eTube?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
So, just to clarify. If I already downgraded from 4.7.0 to 4.6.1 in order to used the destination features of Steps Unlocker, I can now just use the eTube app to upgrade back to 4.7.0 without any intervention from the latest version of Steps Unlocker or do I need to re-use the latest version of Steps Unlocker after I have upgraded to 4.7.0 with eTube?

Don't overthink it.

1. Use current E-Tube, connect to bike and update FW to 4.7.0
2. Afterward, use current STEPS Unlocker, connect to bike and view/make any changes.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Works a dream ?

I would have thought the Japanese are a little more forgiving (leaving the door open) compared to the German manufacturers.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Just national stereotypes.

What’s your point, they are stereotypes for a reason!? ?

It’s not meant to be offensive, I’ve got German blood and love the place. It’s a fact they tend to stick to the rules and are very organised, they’re all the better for it.

Certain people in this country have taken the whole “offensive/harmful stereotype” thing to new levels.... sad.

andy6781

May 31, 2019
Glasgow
How long does it usually take for the licence request to be processed. I came across this thread a few hours ago, downloaded the app, and paid for the upgrade. I promptly received and email informing the licence information will be sent in the next 24hrs. I didn’t expect that and was hoping for change the location now

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
How long does it usually take for the licence request to be processed. I came across this thread a few hours ago, downloaded the app, and paid for the upgrade. I promptly received and email informing the licence information will be sent in the next 24hrs. I didn’t expect that and was hoping for change the location now

Be a little patient, just because you hit "pay" it doesn't mean it's instantaneous. It usually takes a few minutes or so for any online payment to process and be confirmed... IIRC I received my license in less than 15 minutes, so it shouldn't be that long before you get the license code.

andy6781

May 31, 2019
Glasgow
Be a little patient, just because you hit "pay" it doesn't mean it's instantaneous. It usually takes a few minutes or so for any online payment to process and be confirmed... IIRC I received my license in less than 15 minutes, so it shouldn't be that long before you get the license code.
Thanks for the reply. I paid an hour ago. Hope everything is processed shortly.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Still nothing, not even in junk. I’ve only the one email from Steps Unlocker advising it will be sent within 24hrs and then another from Fastspring checkout with the receipt.

Well, couple things then:

1. Dev is in Russia, so it can be just a matter of time zone difference
2. Technically... it hasn't been 24 hours yet.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Here's the official 1.4 updated instruction manual for those who are interested (complete with downgrade info for those who want to open up the speed restriction)

EDIT: manual can be downloaded from https://www.stunlocker.com

Last edited:

Stormy 107

Jun 22, 2019
Yarm
I have made the downgrade FW before notice that it was not necessary anymore and now would like to return to the latest 4.7.0, how can I do it? Use the shimano app or what?
Removed the 4 files that you added to down grade using your laptop and phone. Then use Shimano etube to connect to the bike and you should see the fw upgrade message, just select it and your back to fw 4.7.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Even though I am a complete IT thicko, as this post will illustrate, I easily loaded the Steps Unlocker app and purchased the license so I could simply change the location setting.

It now looks like my Focus may have to go back to the dealer (again) with motor/battery problems (nothing to do with the app).

I have set everything back to factory default but will the dealer be able to discover I have used the app and so cancel the warranty (the warranty has been pretty useless so far) ?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Even though I am a complete IT thicko, as this post will illustrate, I easily loaded the Steps Unlocker app and purchased the license so I could simply change the location setting.

It now looks like my Focus may have to go back to the dealer (again) with motor/battery problems (nothing to do with the app).

I have set everything back to factory default but will the dealer be able to discover I have used the app and so cancel the warranty (the warranty has been pretty useless so far) ?

No one know the answer to this question then?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA

There is one data field in the blackbox output that shows maximum speed reached. If you de-restricted (or set this above the legal limit for your location) and they see this they might have a reason to void your warranty status. No idea if they check this parameter when dealing with warranty, but be aware that it's there.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
There is one data field in the blackbox output that shows maximum speed reached. If you de-restricted (or set this above the legal limit for your location) and they see this they might have a reason to void your warranty status. No idea if they check this parameter when dealing with warranty, but be aware that it's there.

Thanks raine, but I'm looking at it at a less complex level.

Will it be obvious I have used the 'Steps Unlocker' app without the dealer, or whoever, having to delve into any blackbox, as that alone might suggest I have been a naughty boy?

Motor is currently throwing up error code EO10 a couple of times, with WO13 coming up after the second EO10 warning. Anyone else had this with their E8000?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Thanks raine, but I'm looking at it at a less complex level.

Will it be obvious I have used the 'Steps Unlocker' app without the dealer, or whoever, having to delve into any blackbox, as that alone might suggest I have been a naughty boy?

Motor is currently throwing up error code EO10 a couple of times, with WO13 coming up after the second EO10 warning. Anyone else had this with their E8000?

Well - since you used an app and not a physical hack box, then obviously externally/visually there's no sign that you modded it. BUT since you're talking error codes, the only way to investigate error codes is to connect the PC interface to the STEPS system, and at this point they might be able to check said "blackbox" data.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Well - since you used an app and not a physical hack box, then obviously externally/visually there's no sign that you modded it. BUT since you're talking error codes, the only way to investigate error codes is to connect the PC interface to the STEPS system, and at this point they might be able to check said "blackbox" data.

Thanks raine, I'll just keep hitting it with a hammer for a few days to see if that sorts it.:giggle:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles