Steps Unlocker IOS

SlowNoob

Jul 21, 2019
uk
Had my e bike over a year now and not used it anywhere near as much as I had intended....mainly due to the fact I bought it to ride with friends on non electric bikes. Me being the wrong side of 160kg, and them being at a decent fitness level, their flat riding speed seems to be around 17mph, so even with my motor I couldn’t keep up.
I had been looking at tuning options, but didn’t like the idea of my speed reading being wrong, and didn’t know anyone with the shimano cable whatever it’s called. Every couple of months I check if there’s any new solutions, and low and behold I found Steps Unlocker....and even better an IOS version had just been released.

Couple of hours later I’m happily riding about on my private driveway at 20mph. And for £33 for the license, and a correct reading speedometer, I feel like I’ve made one of my best purchases ever.

As a bonus, being in the UK, I can set my wheel circumference to 62% of its actual value, and now if I set my units to kilometres, even though the display states it’s reading kilometres the speed shown is my actual speed in mph....and it gives assistance up to a whopping 32mph. Not that I can spin my legs that fast. I’m pretty comfortable at 17-18mph though, and that’s exactly what I wanted. One very happy customer here

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Did you have to set the bike to an earlier firmware version before using the unlocker ?
And did you manage to everything via the iOS app ?

SlowNoob

Jul 21, 2019
uk
luckily its been a few months since i last connected to the official shimano app and updated the firmware. i was still on 4.6.1 which i think is the latest compatible firmware

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
luckily its been a few months since i last connected to the official shimano app and updated the firmware. i was still on 4.6.1 which i think is the latest compatible firmware

Same here, I had the badass box for a while but it kept on working then not working and showing a "W011" error so I ended up going with Steps Unlocker. Unfortunately I accidentally updated my firmware to 4.7.0 but I was easily able to downgrade again to 4.6.1 via Bluetooth over Android.

I'm extremely happy with the outcome, I just changed my destination to US and corrected my circumference (it was set at 2255) to 2200 and now my gps and my bike odometer are perfectly synchronised. I don't need anymore than this. I also set eco assist to 70% (up 10%) and my trail to 100% (up 10%) this allows me to spend 95% of my riding in eco mode. I did a 25km ride yesterday and just used 1 bar of my battery.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Could someone please explain in simple terms why the unlock apps need to be used with old firmware versions , surely the latest firmware should be better or safer than the previous one.? Why aren’t the apps up to date?

Reactions: MsO

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Could someone please explain in simple terms why the unlock apps need to be used with old firmware versions , surely the latest firmware should be better or safer than the previous one.? Why aren’t the apps up to date?

Because manufacturers don’t want you de restricting your bike so you’re relying on independent developers to build the app, meaning it’s not so straightforward to keep the app up to date with the latest firmware.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
simple terms why the unlock apps need to be used with old firmware versions

Ok, as simply as I can.

The unlock apps exploit "errors"/"Loopholes", call them what you will, in the previous firmwares which enable different variables/settings to be changed which the older firmwares are happy to read/believe. Each time a new firmware is released, shimano add and improve functionality, but also fix these errors so you can't go changing things. The older (4.3?) let you specify all sorts of top speeds, but they fixed that with 4.6, so to get around it you can change to US specification if you're in the EU. With 4.7, they've patched that bug/closed that door, so you can't do that via bluetooth configuration either. Until someone thinks of a workaround - which will get harder each time as they'll have slowly fixed all the bugs/holes/back doors.

Reactions: MsO

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Pssssssst...

[whispers] Latest firmware region changed to US and wheel circumference set to 1500mm assists to around 29mph on a 27.5 Eeb [/whisper]

You didn't see me, right? :whistle:

;)

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Because the motor manufacturers create blocking code into the latest firmware to prevent speed de-restriction, destination changes and wheel circumference changes.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Anyone had a de restricted motor replace under warranty?

I was keen to de restrict my bike but now I’ve had my bike a while I’m not so bothered as 90% of my riding is trails. For that 10% on towpaths etc. it would be nice to have power assist, but I’m telling myself it’s good for my fitness..

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Had my e bike over a year now and not used it anywhere near as much as I had intended....mainly due to the fact I bought it to ride with friends on non electric bikes. Me being the wrong side of 160kg, and them being at a decent fitness level, their flat riding speed seems to be around 17mph, so even with my motor I couldn’t keep up.
I had been looking at tuning options, but didn’t like the idea of my speed reading being wrong, and didn’t know anyone with the shimano cable whatever it’s called. Every couple of months I check if there’s any new solutions, and low and behold I found Steps Unlocker....and even better an IOS version had just been released.

Couple of hours later I’m happily riding about on my private driveway at 20mph. And for £33 for the license, and a correct reading speedometer, I feel like I’ve made one of my best purchases ever.

As a bonus, being in the UK, I can set my wheel circumference to 62% of its actual value, and now if I set my units to kilometres, even though the display states it’s reading kilometres the speed shown is my actual speed in mph....and it gives assistance up to a whopping 32mph. Not that I can spin my legs that fast. I’m pretty comfortable at 17-18mph though, and that’s exactly what I wanted. One very happy customer here

Original thread for the app is here:
iOS App for Shimano motors is available - EMTB Forums

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
I can’t find the app. Maybe isn’t on Australian App Store?

Edit - looks like I need newer version of ios. Silly me.

Last edited:

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
Anyone had a de restricted motor replace under warranty?

I was keen to de restrict my bike but now I’ve had my bike a while I’m not so bothered as 90% of my riding is trails. For that 10% on towpaths etc. it would be nice to have power assist, but I’m telling myself it’s good for my fitness..

Yes I also want to know this. Does Shimano knows if a motor is derestricted even if the settings are changed to factory.

Yesterday I noticed the motor becomes warm after a 40km drive, most riding in eco. I now want to know does the derestricting harm the motor much?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Yes I also want to know this. Does Shimano knows if a motor is derestricted even if the settings are changed to factory.

Yesterday I noticed the motor becomes warm after a 40km drive, most riding in eco. I now want to know does the derestricting harm the motor much?

There is a "blackbox" function that spits out data (if you use the Android version of the app) but no one knows what this data means yet.

Does de-restricting harm the motor much? That depends on what settings you chose to use. Having the ability to do something (de-restricting, modifying assist values) is not the same as knowing how to do it right (keeping within reasonable limits, etc.).

Regarding warranty - it's the same general rule for anything: If you're worried about warranty then stay stock and don't use anything that can modify the system beyond what the factory intended.

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
There is a "blackbox" function that spits out data (if you use the Android version of the app) but no one knows what this data means yet.

Does de-restricting harm the motor much? That depends on what settings you chose to use. Having the ability to do something (de-restricting, modifying assist values) is not the same as knowing how to do it right (keeping within reasonable limits, etc.).

Regarding warranty - it's the same general rule for anything: If you're worried about warranty then stay stock and don't use anything that can modify the system beyond what the factory intended.

Thanks Raine, as always your comments make sense.

I'm not afraid for my warranty. It was my choice, so if the motor gets broken so thats part of the game. As you may know I changed my settings to low so I get most range. But I've changed my speed to 36 in eco and 38KM in trail and boost. When i get to the trail/wood i'm riding that fast, and then the motor gets warm. When it gets warm there is more noise coming from the motor.

But as I said before the bike is so much more fun.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Thanks Raine, as always your comments make sense.

I'm not afraid for my warranty. It was my choice, so if the motor gets broken so thats part of the game. As you may know I changed my settings to low so I get most range. But I've changed my speed to 36 in eco and 38KM in trail and boost. When i get to the trail/wood i'm riding that fast, and then the motor gets warm. When it gets warm there is more noise coming from the motor.

But as I said before the bike is so much more fun.

I currently have my speed limits at 32/40/48km/h (approx. 20/25/30mph)

HOWEVER I just checked some app screenshots I have, one of the blackbox data outputs says "Max speed" and mine currently says "47.4 km/h"... if this means "top speed while motor assisted"... then that could be the data that would invalidate the warranty.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
"Max speed" and mine currently says "47.4 km/h"..

Is that different to your actual "max speed" (that the bike has physically gone) , as that is also recorded and shown in the data.

I’ll bite Gary. How? EMax?

I think he's just using steps unlocker. Set your area to us instead of eu then drop your wheel size to 60% of it's actual size - so then the system thinks you're going 60% of the speed you really are, so you can go faster. Then .. set your speed to KM/H instead of MPH and the speed shown will be the correct speed you're travelling in MPH (thought it says KM/H) - I can't remember who mentioned that idea (sorry, senility) but a great idea :)

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Is that different to your actual "max speed" (that the bike has physically gone) , as that is also recorded and shown in the data.

I think he's just using steps unlocker. Set your area to us instead of eu then drop your wheel size to 60% of it's actual size - so then the system thinks you're going 60% of the speed you really are, so you can go faster. Then .. set your speed to KM/H instead of MPH and the speed shown will be the correct speed you're travelling in MPH (thought it says KM/H) - I can't remember who mentioned that idea (sorry, senility) but a great idea :)

But he’s on latest firmware...

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Is that different to your actual "max speed" (that the bike has physically gone) , as that is also recorded and shown in the data./QUOTE]

Hrm... I don't think the actual "physical" speed the bike has gone matters (in terms of warranty purposes)... but I'm sure what does matter to Shimano is how fast I went while their motor provided assist (since it's supposed to stop providing assist at the 32km/h limit for U.S. where I am), and the only way the STEPS system can really determine that is by using the magnet sensor and the wheel circumference setting as a reference to calculate speed.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I think a de restricted bike would be great for blasting along boring paths but I’m not expecting it to make trail or bike park riding anymore fun!

On the flat towpath home from my local trails it takes a fair amount of effort to keep the bike at 33kph but it’s good for ?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Not for warranty, but it does log the bikes highest speed for whatever reason. Have you found two different max speed readings ?

I never really thought to actually compare the numbers, but I can think of only 3 places to check max speed: What the app shows in the Black Box data, what the SC-E8000 display unit shows, and what Strava records. I used to worry about the accuracy of the speed reading when I first got my e-MTB, but it doesn't matter to me now, I just focus on riding

I think a de restricted bike would be great for blasting along boring paths but I’m not expecting it to make trail or bike park riding anymore fun!

On the flat towpath home from my local trails it takes a fair amount of effort to keep the bike at 33kph but it’s good for ?

I agree. To be honest, I think I only reach the derestriction limit when I'm riding on super boring "liason"-type paved roads i.e. this one trail I frequent, you have to pedal up a 2 mile paved access road before you reach the actual dirt trailhead, then after the trail is done it's another mile back down the same paved road to the parking lot.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I switched mine from EU over to US, I was frequently hitting 26-27 kph on the trails which was annoying but now with US destination it's rare for me to hit 32 kph unless I'm on a transport section between trails. This is perfect for me now, I really don't need any more than this. I used to run a Badass Box but anything more than 32-35 ish kph and my cadence was too fast anyway.
I did set my circumference to 2000mm as it was 2255 from the factory and I was recording more distance than what Strava was indicating.

Also I ran firmware 4.7.0 for a while without any de-restricting, and I found it an improvement over 4.6.2 as the transition from assisted to unassisted didn't seem as harsh, did anyone else notice this?

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
My bike seems to pick up speed so quickly descending I don’t usually notice the limiter when it’s pointed downhill. If it’s a flat trail I do find you need to ensure you’re changing gears as if riding a regular MTB, if you rely on the (restricted) motor and go to smash the pedals above 25km it’s easier said than done if you’re not in the right gear!

All of my local trails tend to be tight single track but I can imagine if things open up a bit, and don’t have much of a gradient, 25km is a little frustrating - the EU should really just raise the limit by 5km!

My ideal ride at the moment is 2.5 hours, 40km, circa 800-900 meters of climbing, riding between eco and trail. I get home with around 5km left before it’s flat so de restricting will likely mean I’m flat before I’m home!

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
After updating my motor FW on my e120 900e with badass box 4 it made ìt ride just awful, constant w011 codes etc so looked for a solution and stumbled across this thread and now rolled back FW and got steps unlocker and after a quick test I'm back to loving my emtb. Off for a proper ride tomorrow so I'll be able to confirm everything's 100%

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles