Steps Unlocker for Andriod.

UglemskiEMTB

Sep 13, 2019
Norway
Hi.

I just downloaded Steps unlocker fro andriod. but it seems I cannot connect with my bike. The E-Tube app is no problem to connect.
It's a Shimano E8000 motor
it runs on version 4.7.0.

Anybody who can help a newbie out?

Cheers

albort1

Jan 19, 2019
Sydney NSW
Try opening app first, with bike off. Then turn bike on and as you see the Shimano logo press the connect button on the app and it will show SCE8000 and click on that. Hope this helps

UglemskiEMTB

Sep 13, 2019
Norway
There's a few things to try, most are covered in here :

Android App for Shimano motors is available - EMTB Forums

A few people have had connection problems, and solutions, so you should find something similar hopefully.
I made the connection! I first had to let my phone connect to the BT (the bt request always poped up when the app connecte, and thus failed the app connection), then I had to wait for som short of bt time-out so that the display came back to showing km/t. The I could choos bluetooth LE and connect with the app with no problem...

lamomie

Jul 3, 2019
France
hello Vadll, the software does not access the number of cycle of the battery on YT decoy, it is a SIMPLO battery, it indicates 0 charges !!!

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
I'm intending to pick up a STePS 8000 bike this week. I'm interested in experimenting with ST Unlocker, because I'm very curious about its ability to set different maximum speeds for each level of assist, as well as fine-tuning the max % assist, max torque, and max wattage per level of assist. I intend to do the opposite of what most people do, and experiment with creating super long-range touring modes by reducing max speed, torque, wattage, and percentage assist. Imagine getting hundreds of kilometres on one battery, while nonetheless having enough assist for it to still be better than riding a muscle bike (AKA a muscle motor only bike)? I want to try to create that combination!

I have access to the official Shimano hardware to hook the e-bike up to a Windows PC. I also have an 8" Android tablet that I can bring with me on a ride if I wish to, but don't always choose to.

Is there any advantage to using the Android app vs. using ST Unlocker for Windows? I'm not worried about the pittance the Android app costs, I'm merely worried about the best experience. I very much doubt I'll want to change the settings during a ride, I'd be much more likely to set them before a ride and then just go out and enjoy myself. Does the advantage go to the physical connection, or does the advantage go to the bluetooth connection?

It also occurs to me to ask whether I can use both the Windows software and the Android app with the bike since it's the same bike with the same serial number?

Finally, any approximate cost for the premium upgrade? There seems to be no way to find out until you actually have the bike in hand, and I'm buying the bike in part because of the existence of ST Unlocker, so I'm in a bit of a catch-22 in trying to price out this venture! :)

Last edited:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I'm intending to pick up a STePS 8000 bike this week. I'm interested in experimenting with ST Unlocker, because I'm very curious about its ability to set different maximum speeds for each level of assist.

I have access to the official Shimano hardware to hook the e-bike up to a Windows PC (which Shimano will let bike shops sell the public, though I don't think that's well publicized and the unit is expensive). I also have an 8" Android tablet that I can bring with me on a ride if I wish to, but don't always choose to.

Is there any advantage to using the Android app vs. using ST Unlocker for Windows? I'm not worried about the pittance the Android app costs, I'm merely worried about the best experience. I very much doubt I'll want to change the settings during a ride, I'd be much more likely to set them before a ride and then just go out and enjoy myself. Does the advantage go to the physical connection, or does the advantage go to the bluetooth connection?

It also occurs to me to ask whether I can use both the Windows software and the Android app with the bike since it's the same bike with the same serial number?

Finally, any approximate cost for the premium upgrade? There seems to be no way to find out until you actually have the bike in hand, and I'm buying the bike in part because of the existence of ST Unlocker, so I'm in a bit of a catch-22 in trying to price out this venture! :)

Go for the mobile app. Will likely get further developments and innovations. Windows probably not.

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
Go for the mobile app. Will likely get further developments and innovations. Windows probably not.

Sounds good. So no advantage to the physical connection to a Windows PC at all then, if you happen to have the hardware for it? I've purchased the Android app based on your reply (thank you!), but the Windows version will remain an option for me.

If I need to downgrade the firmware, that could be an issue. I found the following statement online: "The downgrade only works for STEPS8000 bikes with an SC-E8000 display! The display types SC-E6100, SC-E7000 and the EW-EN100 cockpit will not work with motor firmware 4.3.2." The bike I'm planning to buy comes with the E6010 screen. Now that one *might* work with the v4.3.2 firmware as that's an older display then the E6100, E7000 displays. I suppose I'll find out soon! If I'm lucky, since this is a new-old-stock bike, it'll come with old firmware out of the box anyway. I wonder when v4.3.2 was replaced with something newer?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Sounds good. So no advantage to the physical connection to a Windows PC at all then, if you happen to have the hardware for it? I've purchased the Android app based on your reply (thank you!), but the Windows version will remain an option for me.

If I need to downgrade the firmware, that could be an issue. I found the following statement online: "The downgrade only works for STEPS8000 bikes with an SC-E8000 display! The display types SC-E6100, SC-E7000 and the EW-EN100 cockpit will not work with motor firmware 4.3.2." The bike I'm planning to buy comes with the E6010 screen. Now that one *might* work with the v4.3.2 firmware as that's an older display then the E6100, E7000 displays. I suppose I'll find out soon! If I'm lucky, since this is a new-old-stock bike, it'll come with old firmware out of the box anyway. I wonder when v4.3.2 was replaced with something newer?

From the web site: “Software for Windows is no longer being developed. All actual functions and support for new FWs only in Android/iOS Apps”

For firmware updates, it’s recommended to use the eTube windows app if you have the appropriate hardware.

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
does the change to Usa speed (20) Void your warranty though? and has Anyone had to warranty claim their bike and it go through Ok? and was it picked up on any changes?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think you can up the torque, but I can't remember the name of the app to do that - it's quite a bit more expensive than steps unlocker.

From what I remember, you can up assist to 500% and Watts to 600w

From previous forum history, someone tried 600 and it blew the motor up, so not advisable.

I tried mine with various setting changes over a couple of days testing of upto 550w and upto 500% assistance.

In terms of real world performance, I think it took 1 second off a 2 minute climb. On the whole it didn't really feel much more powerful, just a lot more snatchy and less smooth. The motor is probably tuned to perform most effectively and efficiently within it's physical characteristics/capabilities. So upping the figures, won't necessarily deliver the gains you might expect on paper.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles