Steps e8000 walk mode

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I can add setting of the "motor angle" into STUnlocker. But what's the point? I don't think that it will affect on walk mode features. Walk mode works fine for me but only on a proper gear.

Only Shimano tech guys, or the brands representative, have privileges to enter those settjngs, not bike shops. They can see what angle is programmed, in diagnose, but not change it.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
I also find the walk mode annoying. In steep hill sections you are using the largest cog not the smallest where it actually is doing something. On a steep hill ytou then have to lift the back side and change all the way down......and if you want to start biking again you have to change it back....

Shimano should assume you are in largest cog....nver had the need to use walk mode on the flat....I do have some muscles.....

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Does the e8000 have an angle sensor? If so, and it is used to determine parameters for the walk assist... Incorrect setting of the motor angle parameter would affect the reading from the sensor putting it out of calibration

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Shimano should assume you are in largest cog....nver had the need to use walk mode on the flat....I do have some muscles.....
if they did that the bike would then ride at 10mph in the highest gear without pedalling at all meaning it'd no longer be a class2 pedalec

it's a bit of a gimick AFAIC and I never really use it at all. but I' ve no disabilities am fairly fit. strong and must've spent 15 years of my life pushing similar weight DH bikes up many 1000s of metres of hill every week.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
if they did that the bike would then ride at 10mph in the highest gear without pedalling at all meaning it'd no longer be a class2 pedalec

it's a bit of a gimick AFAIC and I never really use it at all. but I' ve no disabilities am fairly fit. strong and must've spent 15 years of my life pushing similar weight DH bikes up many 1000s of metres of hill every week.

True I can easily o it also, but my wife needs the support. Walk mode work helps here a lot if she needs to push the bike up very steep stuff. With DI2 it works in all gears no?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Walk mode helps on slippy or loose slopes. After a struggle, I got myself and the bike to the top of a tall steep bank. As I got almost to the top, my well-meaning mate grabbed the bike off me (he was hanging onto a tree at the time). Without the stabilising effect of the bike, I slid all the way back down to the bottom. I felt like asking him to throw the bike back down for me. :unsure:

Last edited:

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
This is a well known issue, poor walk assist on Steps8000. The problem is the motor angle, programed in by the manufactur of the bike.
Go to your bike shop, and let them check, that the mounting angle of the motor, is the same as programed by manufactor.
Use an angle app on you phone, and measure on the flat spot under the motor.
Mine was 10, programmed in 17, when changed, i had Turbo walk assist :)
Almost every Merida i have sold, had this problem.
Hi
With adjusting this angle parameter, You solve problem of walk mode for bike without DI2 ? It is possible to adjust this angle with PCE2 interface ? I'm very interested to solve this problem. i am riding on pyrènes and need ofen to use walk mode. using little pignon is not a good solution; It use a lot of power of battery in rock garden (see the bargraph). I dream of solution where i can use bigger pignons to uphill at 4/5 km/H. Could you detail your solution ?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I've add "mount angle" change feature into STUnlocker 1.8.x for Android. Works only with the Premium licence at "Gear settings" menu. Let me know if this feature helps with Walk mode for anyone ;)

Last edited:

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I've add "mount angle" change feature into STUnlocker 1.8.x for Android. Works only with the Premium licence at "Gear settings" menu. Let me know if this feature helps with Walk mode for anyone ;)

Is this firmware dependent? I see mount angle in the latest Android version, but no way to change the value

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Is this firmware dependent? I see mount angle in the latest Android version, but no way to change the value
I can change it on 4.7.1. Didn't try it on old FWs. BTW, what do you mean "no way to change"? You changed it, pressed "Update" and after update you got old value?

p.s. Premium licence is required for "Mount angle" access

Last edited:

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Please, Can you say me if this angle setting is efficient for DI2 only or also for mechanical change gear ? thanks

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Regarding modifying the mount angle... somehow this Shimano graphic might be a clue as to what/how we could use the mount angle setting for (if it actually does do anything):

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 1.04.48 PM.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Regarding modifying the mount angle... somehow this Shimano graphic might be a clue as to what/how we could use the mount angle setting for (if it actually does do anything):

View attachment 27800
That graphic has nothing to do with motor mount angle.
It's simply showing what speed walk mode will power a bike along at in walk mode.
ie. Di2 works out the gearing so it powers the cranks to achieve a constant 2mph whatever gear the bike happens to be in
While a in a mid cassette gear say 34x18 Walk mode will also power a mechanically geared bike along at 2mph (So a higher gear will be faster, lower gear even slower)
What's interesting is that Shimano actually designed walk mode to power the bike along at 2mph. A pretty uselessly slow speed for anyone fit and healthy. and why I never use it at all.
I suppose they had to do this as if 2mph was achievable in a low gear muppet would almost definitely try to use the mode to power their bike without pedalling by using higher gears.

AlexRus

Mar 30, 2019
Russia
This is a well known issue, poor walk assist on Steps8000. The problem is the motor angle, programed in by the manufactur of the bike.
Go to your bike shop, and let them check, that the mounting angle of the motor, is the same as programed by manufactor.
Use an angle app on you phone, and measure on the flat spot under the motor.
Mine was 10, programmed in 17, when changed, i had Turbo walk assist :)
Almost every Merida i have sold, had this problem.
I tested this setting on two bikes, unfortunately this does not help make the walk-mode better :cry:

Eyjim

Apr 29, 2020
Germany
Hello together,

I found out that in the Stunlocker menu "Gearshift" the number of teeth of the sprocket can be increased up to 14 (without getting an error message). Chainring should be set to 34. This leads to an increase of the engine speed and thus to a speed increase (in my case this was about +50%, installed is 36 chainring and SLX 12-speed 10-51). But at 6 km/h the engine stops and switches off briefly, until the speed is below 6 km/h again.

The attached picture shows the two different speeds of the engine and the resulting speeds in manual shift mode compared to the DI2.
--> I can now drive e.g. in 6th instead of 9th gear (approx. DI2 speed) and have more torque available due to the higher gear ratio.

Try it out at your own risk. :)
Eyjim

Walk Assist.jpg

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Thanks for info. BTW, what is your bike, motor, cassette and front chainring? What was settings from stock?

I found out that in the Stunlocker menu "Gearshift" the number of teeth of the sprocket can be increased up to 14 (without getting an error message). Chainring should be set to 34.

Eyjim

Apr 29, 2020
Germany
It is a YT Decoy Race Pro 2019; Shimano STEPS E8000; 12-speed Shimano 10-51; chainring 36T. Settings in App from stock were 11 for smallest cog and 34 for chainring.

EDYM

Jul 6, 2020
Igny
Oh oh...
Will definitely try this shortly.
I mean... the angle setting.

And then get back to you.
But curious as a friend of mine was on a 2019 Shuttle Di2 equipped, it worked ok.
Mine's a 2020 Shuttle with a mechanical derailleur.
I suppose the motor angle is the same?
Perhaps not the settings?

EDYM

Jul 6, 2020
Igny
So...
I had a try setting the angle from 31° which was wrong, to the 25° measured.
With absolutely ZERO effect.

EDYM

Jul 6, 2020
Igny
Then, about the setting made by Eyjim, I do have the last STunlocker licensed version, but no access to update the sprocket or chainring datas?
Only motor angle & choice for the derailleur, between Di2 & mechanical.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Then, about the setting made by Eyjim, I do have the last STunlocker licensed version, but no access to update the sprocket or chainring datas?
Only motor angle & choice for the derailleur, between Di2 & mechanical.

Open the app and go to Settings > App Settings and toggle "Allow to change Chain Rings size"

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles