Steps E8000 power light on, everything off?

Rich_F21316

Oct 6, 2018
DORSET, United Kingdom
on starting today's ride, my friends bike wouldn't power up, light was on, the display was off and the Di2 gears wouldn't shift. this is the second time this has happened. the only way we could get it working was to take the battery out and put back. i wiped the connections (which didn't look contaminated) and it powered up fine. could it be just a case of muck on the motor end of the connector or is something more serious at fault? cheers

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Sounds like dirty connections unless you moved it or touched the pedals as you switched on , but that usually gives an error code .
It’s worth pulling out the 3 small conectors on top of the motor and cleaning them then sealing over with grease , also clean the connections into the display .
There is also adjustment on the top lock to get a good fit for the battery I gave heard of a few loose batteries that required the mount adjusting .
I guess it could also be a di2 set up issue but I know little about that except that the same shimano computer interface is used for both di2 and motor set up etc

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
If I connect an invalid component to my E8000 system (e.g. with out of date firmware) then I see something similar to what you are describing - the system basically fails to start up. But since you only had to remove & replace the battery it sounds like that battery connection must be the problem.

For my situation, if I connected the bike to a PC and ran the E-Tube Project app then that gave a diagnosis for what the problem was and why the bike was failing to startup. If you have a repeatable case then maybe a dealer could test the bike connected to a PC and get more information about exactly what is causing the problem.

erafune

Dec 11, 2021
Sweden
Only a 1 in 100 chance that this is your problem, but...
I had a similar problem with my new E8000 mtb. Sometimes when you pressed the battery button the battery lighted up but nothing else.
Turned out the battery was not snug enough in it's cradle. There was like half a mm of play between the battery and the upper/bottom holder. Somehow this was enough to break battery connection. I moved the upper locking mechanism down 1mm to make the battery really need to squeeze into the locked position and everything has been good since.
Hnnnnnng I replied to an old thread again.... -.-

Rich_F21316

Oct 6, 2018
DORSET, United Kingdom
Only a 1 in 100 chance that this is your problem, but...
I had a similar problem with my new E8000 mtb. Sometimes when you pressed the battery button the battery lighted up but nothing else.
Turned out the battery was not snug enough in it's cradle. There was like half a mm of play between the battery and the upper/bottom holder. Somehow this was enough to break battery connection. I moved the upper locking mechanism down 1mm to make the battery really need to squeeze into the locked position and everything has been good since.
Hnnnnnng I replied to an old thread again.... -.-
thanks but yes, the reply is a bit out of date! if memory serves me right, it turned out to be a faulty battery!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles