STEPS E8000 Motor Service

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
No internal motor parts are available for these motors, so replacing the torque sensor is not really an option. Fortunately they don't often fail. The fault code for torque sensor is mostly a software issue and cannot currently be fixed.
Thanks good to know. Its great having you do what you do. The end result is theyll build better motors as you discover the faults. I wish you continued spanner wizardry ?

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
is the white molykote pg75 grease look like the finish line withe grease ? this one is really durable , very sticky , and smooth , it is teflon based with enhencement ; high pression resist and water ingress résistance

Screenshot_2021-08-11-15-33-01-47.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-11-15-32-55-63.jpg

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
is the white molykote pg75 grease look like the finish line withe grease ? this one is really durable , very sticky , and smooth , it is teflon based with enhencement ; high pression resist and water ingress résistance
So many people make big mistakes with grease. I am sure that for some applications the grease you list is great! But try putting this stuff on a roller or sprag clutch bearing and the bearing will slip or worst still, slip and then grip, which can shatter the bearing. Too much grease or the wrong type of grease can be a nightmare as far as your high precision ebike motor is concerned.

This again is why we spend months and sometimes years sourcing the right and best parts to do the job properly.

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
Buy it from our French partner then :) email Henryk at [email protected] I am sure he will be able to help you.
thank you so much mr bearing , but before I have to do a video of the noise , in fact if I turn crank forward it does a noise but there is no play. the noise let me think of some dry thing but not too much. no high pitch noise or clank disaster noise lol , so i.wonder if this is the start of bearing problem or not. if i turn rewind no noise dead silent. maybe e8000 do some noise by design ?

Last edited:

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
too complicated to contact the.europe distributor in fact , I accepted his prices want to do bank transfer and he is always talking bla bla.too much for nothing so i skipped this guy
found 1kg of molykote pg 75 with someone else 15€ for a brand new 1kg grease

anyone with a video of how to open the motor case ? careful with something ? razor blade to open in the middle ?

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
I just took my smallest flat screwdriver and tapped it in at the top with a small hammer, at an angle and near one of the mounting holes. I was surprised how easy it was to open. The glue used by shimano is very flexible and has very little strength.
Once you have a tiny seperation at the top, just go around and tap it open further and further.
There was no visible damage to the casing, even from using a hard metal screwdriver.

If you want to be more careful you could use a hard plastic wedge or something, normally used for opening things like electronics (laptops, tablets etc).

Btw, where did you get the molykote that cheap? The lowest i have found is about 41 euros for 1kg. And that does not include shipping.

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
I just took my smallest flat screwdriver and tapped it in at the top with a small hammer, at an angle and near one of the mounting holes. I was surprised how easy it was to open. The glue used by shimano is very flexible and has very little strength.
Once you have a tiny seperation at the top, just go around and tap it open further and further.
There was no visible damage to the casing, even from using a hard metal screwdriver.

If you want to be more careful you could use a hard plastic wedge or something, normally used for opening things like electronics (laptops, tablets etc).

Btw, where did you get the molykote that cheap? The lowest i have found is about 41 euros for 1kg. And that does not include shipping.
it is all about chance , a guy who sell it in french website for selling things

does it absolutly necessary to put hylomar blue or loctite blue silicon gasket ? as it seems very sticky for future re grease , and seems to be not so sticky with Shimano material . i m thinking of double sided ultra thin thermal really sticky paper pad ( sort of silicon sticky paper )

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
The loctite blue can be peeled of easily after it has dried. So if you ever need to go in there again, its not too difficult to remove. I dont know about the hylomar, but i assume its about the same.
But probably any liquid gasket would do, like Dirtnvert said.

You do want some sort of sealant to make sure the motor is completely sealed from water and dust ingress. Im not sure if a silicon paper pad would be enough? I would personally go with a liquid type. Brush on carefully so you get a 100% seal all around.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
so dirt can only enter by the crank shaft
is there a way to improve the seal at the crank shaft ?

The crankshaft already has two commercial rubber seals that can be found:

** 25x32x4mm Nitrile Rubber Rotary Shaft Oil Seal Springless Design VC Style type shaft seal (garterless)).

** 35x44x4mm Oil Seals for Variomatic Yamaha T-max 500 Injection. It can be found locally in Yamaha motorbike stores or ebay

I tought that a way to improve the seal is to add some waterproof grease, like Motorex Calcium Grease:

Ant BearingMan confirmed that it is what he is using.

Last edited:

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
The crackshaft already has two commercial rubber seals that can be found:

** 25x32x4mm Nitrile Rubber Rotary Shaft Oil Seal Springless Design VC Style type shaft seal (garterless)).

** 35x44x4mm Oil Seals for Variomatic Yamaha T-max 500 Injection. It can be found locally in Yamaha motorbike stores or ebay

I tought that a way to improve the seal is to add some waterproof grease, like Motorex Calcium Grease:
https://motorex.com/es-es/bike-grease Ant BearingMan confirmed that it is what he is using.

these rubber ring had to be replaced too ? or are they.non usable things ?

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
these rubber ring had to be replaced too ? or are they.non usable things ?

In this thread, the people that has replaced bearings have found the seals to be fine and they have not replaced them. So I'd say that you should replace them ONLY if you find them to be damaged.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
fine means super sticky to the axle ? hard to move them ? like and skf spy join on a fork ?

I have not opened my motor so I do not know the answer. I am only getting my ducks in a row because I plan to keep my bike for as long as possible and sooner or later (I expect later) I'll have to change the motor bearings.

May be S3 can answer it.

Last edited:

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
i just noticed that the 6805z is replaced by a 6805 2rs , I suppose thats for extra protection ? no negative side effect on friction ?
i saw in another spanish thread inspired by this thread that often the only one damaged worn bearings are the 6805 and 6808 , do I take an big risk to buy only these two ? did you noticed that all bearings are worn ?

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
i just noticed that the 6805z is replaced by a 6805 2rs , I suppose thats for extra protection ? no negative side effect on friction ?
i saw in another spanish thread inspired by this thread that often the only one damaged worn bearings are the 6805 and 6808 , do I take an big risk to buy only these two ? did you noticed that all bearings are worn ?

As I said, I have not replaced beaings and I do not have experience, my comments come from previous posts in this thread.

6805z has metal seal and low friction, but bad water sealing. This is the one originally mounted in the motor.
6805 2rs has a rubber seal that has high friction and good water sealing. So the motor will requir a little more power from the battery. Bearing Man, recommends (and sells in his web) 6805-LLB which has labyrinth sealing and these have less friction better waterproofness, although still not 100%

It is also recommended to change the 1 x K25x29x17 Needle Roller Cage Assembly

The small bearings (3 x 6900 ZZ Shielded Ball Bearing 10x22x6mm and 1 x 6000 ZZ Shielded Ball Bearing 10x26x8mm) are about 4€ each for a brand name bearing. People in this thread that opened the motor did not find them damaged and in some cases they were not replaced. So it is your choice, you can have them ready just in case or order later if you found them to be defective.

This is the kit sold by BearingMan:

Apr 18, 2020
germany
After 3000km I need to mount a new chain and from the drive side I hear the following noise and when holding the crank arm I feel a slight harshness compared to the other side.

Anybody knows if this is normal as new motors have this too or do I have to fit new bearings?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
After 3000km I need to mount a new chain and from the drive side I hear the following noise and when holding the crank arm I feel a slight harshness compared to the other side.

Anybody knows if this is normal as new motors have this too or do I have to fit new bearings?

Doesnt sound bad as far as i can tell from the phone audio. Maybe im misunderstanding your description but all the bearings will spin no matter which crank arm you spin. It shouldnt feel any different spinning one crank arm or the other. I think youll know when a bearing is toast

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Thank You Bearing Man and S13.

When pedaling, y motor is doing a noise which is no metal "creaking" noise, it is more like a low volume high pitch rubber rub noise, but it is difficult to explain a noise.

Do you suspect what can cause this? Just in case I am sourcing bearing extractor, two large bearings, axle seals, and squeezing knowledge from you guys.

Finally my "motor" noise was not coming from the motor but from the Rear Axle. My original Rear Axle broke and I bought a compatible Maxle, but the original one has a "cone head" (which is removable) and the new one has a flat head, so I transfered the cone to the new Maxle and it fitted perfectly. The only drawback is that the cone in the original axle was snapped in place with a rubber o-ring, but in the Maxle it is just contacting the flat head metal to metal.

So although the rear axle is not rotating at all, when pedaling uphill with motor ON or OFF I got the noise coming from the axle.

Bike manufacturer finally sent me a new improved axle in warranty, and now everything is fine.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Finally my "motor" noise was not coming from the motor but from the Rear Axle.

Yeah sometimes those noises are hard to pinpoint.
Glad you figured it out.

So, new observation from my part. Ive done about 1000km or so since the motor revision, and over the last week it started making more and more noise. A bit like a whining belt sound, where the belt has a bad spot (the noise comes and goes about 4 to 5 times per revolution of the crank)
So opened the motor back up to see whats wrong. Plastic gears looked all fine and greased. The meshing metal gears of the 2 small axles however had a weird build up of black material. It seems the grease on these 2 gears had completely been burned and solidified. Because of this the gear teeth couldnt engage properly on certain areas of the gears and that was causing the pulsating noise. So did a thorough cleaning and regreased with a standard lithium grease this time. Not sure if this is a good solution, but im traveling and have no other option right now.

So im wondering, is the white plastic grease not suitable for 2 meshing metal gears?
Perhaps those gears actually require something like white lithium grease?

I dont know, i will see how this standard lithium grease works out.
Its weird that all the metal-to-plastic gears are ok and the white grease look fine on those. Its just that single metal-to-metal gear that is the problem...

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
So im wondering, is the white plastic grease not suitable for 2 meshing metal gears?
Perhaps those gears actually require something like white lithium grease?

Hi S3, I am sorry to hear that. Do you remember if originally the small gears had the white grease, or it was different?

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Well, it was white, im pretty sure of that. But it could have been different from the plastic grease of course.

Who knows, maybe i didnt put enough grease on those metal gears? I didnt had a lot of grease because i was reusing it (i currently have pg75 on order). But still, it was the same amount as on the plastic gears, and those are just fine...
Ill do a bike ride this afternoon with the normal lithium grease (its actually a type of ball bearing grease, that was all i had with me), and see how it goes.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I guess this ghread would be the spot to post this. Ive been saying this should be done and theres definitely a market. E8000 to bafang adapter. Id guess he'll need to have a complrte system with the controller and battery and battery fitment for individual bikes. Thatd be pretty sweet to pop in a bafang m600 in place of my e8000

Shit its not posting. Its on the emtb forums facebook page

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles