STEPS E8000 Motor Service

Strindberg

Sep 24, 2021
Strasbourg, France
I am lucky to see that I have done the same job!

In reality a little bit better,
because I have now only sealed ball bearings with the ABEC 7 Standard everywhere,
and not only two, these from the crank.

Of these two ball bearings, one is originaly sealed only on one side !

( It should also not be confused with bearings which are only reinforced but not sealed.
On the video you them with a silver color on the sides).

He has also no problems with the torque sensor

Tack så mycket !

Last edited:

Davekaye

Mar 15, 2022
Halifax
I think that this is what many people wanted to see, I hope iv'e done it justice, it's not an easy one to do due to the nature of all the exposed electrical components and connections. Bosch, Yamaha and brose are a little easier, we get all our bearings etc from Performance line bearings who are very helpful. Items like the 2 main shaft seals are not available, these really need changing at the same time. Perhaps this is something that Performance line bearings could m maybe work on. In the meantime please share the video.

Thanks
Dave

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I think that this is what many people wanted to see, I hope iv'e done it justice, it's not an easy one to do due to the nature of all the exposed electrical components and connections. Bosch, Yamaha and brose are a little easier, we get all our bearings etc from Performance line bearings who are very helpful. Items like the 2 main shaft seals are not available, these really need changing at the same time. Perhaps this is something that Performance line bearings could m maybe work on. In the meantime please share the video.

Thanks
Dave

Dave, the insertion of the bearings is not included in the video. Did you use a bearing press or other special tool?

Davekaye

Mar 15, 2022
Halifax
Hi, Were really fortunate to have lots and lots of bearing press tools and well as extraction kits for any type of bearing as well as a hydraulic press. we can also make custom tooling on our lathe. Dave
IMG_1582.jpeg

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Does anyone have a spare / defective E8000 motor up for sell?
Looking to buy one for spare parts and reverse engineering.

str1

May 5, 2022
Finland
Thank you everyone for your effort, this post has been very informative! My E8000 makes this quaking/scratching noise when under load for a while (similar to this video) and I'm considering opening it for inspection. Few questions:

1. Could it be that original grease can not handle this much load (heavy driver, constant load for a while) and fails to lubricate properly and if so, what kind of grease should I apply and where? ... is there options for thicker/thinner grease and which should be used in this case?

2. Related question, does anyone have made any final conclusion what grease to use and where?

3. When applying new grease, should the original grease be fully removed and is isopronaol suitable for this?

Taoplus

Dec 2, 2021
Italia
ciao il mio e7000 da errore e010, con uloker stunt ho letto e01020 ... ho notato che il magnete tondo gira, come dovrebbe metterlo? ho provato a girarlo e ad un certo punto si è incastrato su una bitta.....ho provato a metterlo lì e dargli un po' di colla, poi ho saldato di nuovo i connettori principali.....qualcuno ne suggerisce altro intervento da fare?

IMG_20220705_001015.jpg

IMG_20220705_001011.jpg

IMG_20220705_000859.jpg

IMG_20220704_233209.jpg

IMG_20220704_233235.jpg

IMG_20220705_000848.jpg

IMG_20220704_232850.jpg

IMG_20220704_232823.jpg

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
As this thread is getting long and the useful information is spread in different posts, it is becoming difficult for a newby to understand the process. Some time ago I made a compilation of this thread, initially for myself, but as it might be useful for others, I am posting it here.

Although, if you open your motor, it will be at your own risk and nobody else will be resposible.

Attachments

• Shimano E8000 Bearing change EN V7d.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 970
Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK

is it an ok 6805 replacement ?

What a great question!
An ABEC3 LLU bearing would be a better choice. Everyone thinks that ABEC5 is the best quality you can get! It is only a standard denoting the tolerance of the bearing (it is harder to make, therefore costs more). It could still be made from chocolate!
Fitting a bearing designed for a high speed electric motor is not whats required for a crankshaft doing 90rpm max. There is a good reason ALL motor manufactures use ABEC3 bearings.
2-RS seals can come in many different guises, many cheaper bearings don't even have an inner race lip for the seal so sit in and offer very little in the way of protection. LLU is the best type of sealing you can get, offering a labyrinth type seal against any ingress. This type of seal does present slightly more friction, but a very small price to pay for protecting your motor.
This is why it's generally better to buy your bearings from someone who knows ebike motors :) If you're in France, talk to our man Henryk here: Evtt-moteur

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles