Steps e8000 chainring size

YorkshireDan

Dec 23, 2019
Thorne
Evening shags

What front ring are people running on their Shimano setup. Mines currently running the standard Shimano steel 34t job, but after winter it's gonna be knackered. I'll probably change it to a 32t alloy version, but the stunlocker software on my phone won't let you change the figure to anything less than 34t. Is there a reason for this? Does it have to stay at 34t? Because 32 would give me a bit better climbing ability

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
running A 36t (would be running a 38t if my bike had clearance)

the stunlocker software on my phone won't let you change the figure to anything less than 34t. Is there a reason for this?
There's absolutely no reason to bother changing the ring size in the app

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
36T chain ring is a nice little boost to top speed, don't need the short gearing so much on an emtb. Especially if you commute - i spin out down hills.

Alloy HG hub driver is getting flogged so i will replace the XT 11-46 with a XD driver and SRAM 10-42 when the cassette is worn, 42T should be perfect for climbing and the 10T gives a little more top speed. Smaller cog means can run a little more chain wrap by advancing the b screw a little

YorkshireDan

Dec 23, 2019
Thorne
I’ve changed to a 32t on the front, my cadence was inbetween gears and it was doing my head in. The 32t makes it sit 2 cogs lower on the back and my cadence seems to have sorted itself out. And I can’t seem to find a chain long enough to fit on either. Bought a sram pc1030 and it’s 2 links too short even with the 32t on the front. I’m still treating it like a normal bike, trying to not use as much assistance and more trying to get fit

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
what about battery consumption with 36T?

My cassette goes up to 46T which I hardly ever use, so it shouldn't affect battery life but will help going faster on fast downhill sections, although it's irrelevant at the moment as I'm not using that bike :confused:

Reactions: ART

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Eventually someone at Shimano/Sram might realise plenty Emtb riders need close jumps in the small sprockets eg. 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 21 and don't need to go above 36. (even with a 36T chainring)
Coz motors. init!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it doesn't. using lower assist levels and using more (rider) effort does.

switch the motor off completely if you want ultimate battery life ;)

BackHol3

Aug 26, 2019
Finland
I just order the Deckas 104BCD 36T, doest the same chain fit when changing original 32t to 36t? Or do I need longer chain? I have Focus Jam2 9.6 Plus 2019.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Looking to convert Shimano XT Drivetrain on a YT Decoy to SRAM AXS and need advice on a chainring. Has anyone used 12 speed Shimano XT chainring with SRAM AXS chain/eagle cassette? Does anyone know of a SRAM AXS aftermarket chainring that mates well with the Shimano spider on the Steps E8000 motor?

hix

Oct 21, 2020
Prague, CZ
Looking to convert Shimano XT Drivetrain on a YT Decoy to SRAM AXS and need advice on a chainring. Has anyone used 12 speed Shimano XT chainring with SRAM AXS chain/eagle cassette? Does anyone know of a SRAM AXS aftermarket chainring that mates well with the Shimano spider on the Steps E8000 motor?

11s original chainring for E8000 should be ok. I have p/n for it written somewhere...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
any 104bcd narrow wide chainring will fit the STEPs 4 bolt spider and work with a Shimano or SRAM (or any other)12 speed mtb chain
I wouldn't use a SRAM chainring

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
36T chain ring is a nice little boost to top speed, don't need the short gearing so much on an emtb. Especially if you commute - i spin out down hills.

Alloy HG hub driver is getting flogged so i will replace the XT 11-46 with a XD driver and SRAM 10-42 when the cassette is worn, 42T should be perfect for climbing and the 10T gives a little more top speed. Smaller cog means can run a little more chain wrap by advancing the b screw a little
I'm finding the same issues with alloy freehub getting very gouged up over time. The stock super heavy Novatec/Raceface wheel have steel HG freehub that show zero wear and Hope makes a steel driver as well. A friend here had many issues over many years with Hope hub failures (bearings and axles) but I don't know if their quality is better today or it's just his size, big powerful guy but non-ebike. That fully pinned SRAM 10-42 cassette makes so much sense and is at least 100g lighter than the XT cassette and I'm told will work with my Shimano hg701 chain and XT derailleur. Of course I would need an XD driver to use the SRAM cassette.

But I really use the 46t gear a lot on 15-20% grade rocky climbs for instance. For me a 34t chainring is just too fast even with the 46t rear gear so going to a 10-42t cassette would be wrong direction without a smaller chainring like a 32t or even 30t.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I just order the Deckas 104BCD 36T, doest the same chain fit when changing original 32t to 36t? Or do I need longer chain? I have Focus Jam2 9.6 Plus 2019.
Assuming that your previous set up was spot on, you will need to add two 1/2" links. But you might get away with it. Do a proper test to be sure or you could do major damage to your mech.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I tried two inexpensive aluminum 104 bcd chainrings. They are much thicker than the steps chainring and I think that affected the chainline enough that I could not shift into the 46t tooth gear. I admit I didn't spend much time fooling around with this and when I encountered this I just quit. One them would not even fit without some filing since the shape of where they mate up to the mounting ring on the bike is unique on the steps steel chainring. I was thinking about the Wolftooth steel 104bcd but it too is a lot thicker with raised mounting pads. I decided it wasn't worth the effort back then but would love to find chainring 30-32t that absolutely worked and didn't affect the chainline, which I think is 53mm. I wish Shimano would come out with a smaller chainring. I guess a 51t 12 speed is yet another option but way too much expense there. I just set my trail mode up from medium to high to compensate, lol.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I just put an inexpensive 32t chainring on and it worked perfectly. I bought 2 extra ones too at the $9. price. Very quiet and no issues. I tried this once with a few other brands and had some shifting issue but this one worked. Price just went up by a $1.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Evening shags

What front ring are people running on their Shimano setup. Mines currently running the standard Shimano steel 34t job, but after winter it's gonna be knackered. I'll probably change it to a 32t alloy version, but the stunlocker software on my phone won't let you change the figure to anything less than 34t. Is there a reason for this? Does it have to stay at 34t? Because 32 would give me a bit better climbing ability
I've been using 32 for a while now. I'm guessing you're mostly in eco, as I am. Well, I've changed eco to med, so it is lower than standard (standard is eco in high). It's as small as you can go and it works with the existing chain guide - all good.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I've been using 32 for a while now. I'm guessing you're mostly in eco, as I am. Well, I've changed eco to med, so it is lower than standard (standard is eco in high). It's as small as you can go and it works with the existing chain guide - all good.
Yes all my modes are medium too and most of my ride is ECO. The 34t forces you to use trail too much. The pivot point of the rear stay is so high up and very close to the chain on the Focus bikes so I agree that 32t is as small as you want to go. It doesn't seem to impact the rubber chain stay guard strip which was a concern and the chain guide can be adjusted just right and to just clear the chain in 11th gear.

hix

Oct 21, 2020
Prague, CZ
Yes all my modes are medium too and most of my ride is ECO. The 34t forces you to use trail too much. The pivot point of the rear stay is so high up and very close to the chain on the Focus bikes so I agree that 32t is as small as you want to go. It doesn't seem to impact the rubber chain stay guard strip which was a concern and the chain guide can be adjusted just right and to just clear the chain in 11th gear.

can I get a pic how close is your chain to the rear assembly? I'd like to switch to 32t as well...

thanks!

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
can I get a pic how close is your chain to the rear assembly? I'd like to switch to 32t as well...

thanks!
Doesn't touch the rubber when sitting on the bike. this is in 11 gear.

IMG_5646.JPG

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I have a merida e140 and clearance is better than that; so much so that I've never considered it. Should be identical for e160 too.

hix

Oct 21, 2020
Prague, CZ

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles