Steps battery issue

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
So one of my e-sommet batteries has developed an issue where it turns off randomly with no warning.

No errors are displayed before shut down.

I know it's not a motor or Display unit problem as my other battery works fine in both bikes.

One thing I noticed on one occasion is that the second battery light out of the 5 was flashing whilst the others were solid on one occasion but I've not been able to repeat this.

There's nothing physically obvious on the outside of the battery that indicates damage.

Any ideas anyone?

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Pretty sure the battery is failing and the flashing led is a fault code. Any issues when charging?

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Battery appears to charge ok, would be good to know what the fault codes are, anyone seen a list of them anywhere?

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
First clean your battery contacts. Charging and motor connections. I was getting a few random errors and none since I cleaned all the contacts.

Gordon

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Pop it into a dealer , the shimano interface will check the battery condition

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Cheers guys, I've referred it Chain Reaction now but I'll check with the app tonight.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Couldn't find how to do a diagnostic on the etube app, can you shed some light please?

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
found it - it's only on the tablet version - diagnostic reports no faults .......

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
So I had this issue and commensals had me move the two mounting pins for the battery to 224.4 I think mm apart. I have the email that details it. It fixed the cutout problem. May email is [email protected]. if u want the email forwarded email me and I will send it to you. I don't really have much talent with posting stuff such as technical files. So just email me.

Muzzabike

Aug 19, 2018
New Zealand
A friend had an issue with an external Shimano battery turning off when riding rough sections of track usually. He took it back to the shop and they replaced the battery. The issue continued. I had a look at it and found the top battery mount had moved and the battery was a bit loose. I was able to simulate the fault by moving the battery and it would turn off once its connection to the lower pins is lost. Not sure if this could also be your issue. Its something I just keep an eye on now as top mount seems to move in the slotted mounts over time.

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
A friend had an issue with an external Shimano battery turning off when riding rough sections of track usually. He took it back to the shop and they replaced the battery. The issue continued. I had a look at it and found the top battery mount had moved and the battery was a bit loose. I was able to simulate the fault by moving the battery and it would turn off once its connection to the lower pins is lost. Not sure if this could also be your issue. Its something I just keep an eye on now as top mount seems to move in the slotted mounts over time.
I would put money on this is your issue, I had same on my Sentier, a bit of air and on landing it would switch off. Adjustment of the top location needed.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Having tried the battery in both of my bikes and it not work and my other battery working fine in both of my bikes, I'm not sure I agree with you but it's getting one final check before the battery good back to Chain Reaction.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Finally got a reply and turns out the battery is faulty and will be replaced under warranty

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Now the next frontier for the steps motor is to nukeproof all the components and figure out a armored solution to the skanky wiring that I'm sure will succomb to some root , branch rock something way way out there. I now carry a short tire and the pusher to get it in in my backpack. Once they wake up to the fact that these aren't for townies but are being hurled off things perhaps they or an aftermarket will harden the targets so that they survive a nuclear winter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles