Stance fork replacement specifications

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
Hi all
Thinking of upgrading my forks in my 2021 Stance e+2 but a bit confused by specs…
Would appreciate details as to steerer length. offset etc please

Thinking Fox 36, but recommendations would also be appreciated

cheers

Ian

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Unless you're buying secondhand the steerer length will be irrelevant as you'll have to cut the new one down to match the length of the existing fork.
Presumably you've looked on the Suntour website using your fork's serial number (on the back of the crown) to get it's measurements and specs?

What are you confused about?
Are you planning on increasing the travel?
What is it about the existing fork that you want to improve?
What type of riding do you do now/plan to do?
What's your budget?

The more info you can post the more relevant and (hopefully) more helpful suggestions people will post.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Unless you're buying secondhand the steerer length will be irrelevant as you'll have to cut the new one down to match the length of the existing fork.
Presumably you've looked on the Suntour website using your fork's serial number (on the back of the crown) to get it's measurements and specs?

What's your budget?

The more info you can post the more relevant and (hopefully) more helpful suggestions people will post.
Whatever fork you buy needs to be
for 29er wheel
51mm offset ( normal for a 29er)
Boost ( ie 110mm front hub)
Travel I would suggest no more than 150 since the bike as standard is 130mm.
Tapered steere
Unless you are prepared to spend a lot of money your best bet would probably be something like the RS Pike.....Fox 36 is probably over the top for an XC oriented bike.

As a bove if you are fitting it yourself you will need a steerer cutter and starnut setter.

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia

What's your budget?

Thanks Jackware,
Very much appreciate you taking the time to respond and apologies for my lack of detail and my confusion.
I'm very new to this, and didn't realise there was a serial number that I could search up, so thank you for that knowledge!
My 13yo is encouraging me to upgrade my front forks and suggested Fox 36. Naively, I thought that there might be a one size that fits all but was quickly confused as to the variations in the specifications.

So I was essentially looking to see if there are a standard set of specifications for the Stance e+2 that would assist me in my search.

Again, apologies for not being clear enough and appreciate you patience.

Regards, Ian

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
Whatever fork you buy needs to be
for 29er wheel
51mm offset ( normal for a 29er)
Boost ( ie 110mm front hub)
Travel I would suggest no more than 150 since the bike as standard is 130mm.
Tapered steere
Unless you are prepared to spend a lot of money your best bet would probably be something like the RS Pike.....Fox 36 is probably over the top for an XC oriented bike.

As a bove if you are fitting it yourself you will need a steerer cutter and starnut setter.

Thanks Mikerb,
this is excellent advice and thank you!
Yes, I was having a look at the secondhand market, and noted that the steerers were different lengths, and hence one of my questions.
Do you (or anyone) know what the correct steerer length is by chance?

Appreciated, Ian

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Measure this distance for the current steerer length;

(If you wanted to raise the stem and handlebars slightly you'd want it to be slightly longer)

1649315344457.png

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
Measure this distance for the current steerer length;

(If you wanted to raise the stem and handlebars slightly you'd want it to be slightly longer)

View attachment 85559
Hi Jackware,

This was exactly what I was after, thank you!

Needless to say, I'm a complete newb to this, but eager to learn. And have since watched a number of on-line videos describing the fork changing process, which also have been really helpful.

Do you (or others) have any suggestions around recommended rear shock replacements?

Thanks again,

Ian

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
Thanks for sharing. I like the rear but i am considering a change in front.
Is your fox 140?
Hi there,
The standard Suntour fork has 130mm travel and based on advice from here and elsewhere, I increased by 20mm and put 150mm forks on.
I haven’t noticed any change to the dynamics of the bike, but am really enjoying the extra travel and quality of the Fox 34s which are eBike tuned.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Thanks, i will be getting a 2022 in 4 months and this is the only thing i might change.
I am looking for a single bike to ride 12 months in the snow, cold etc
With the wider rims my 3.0 tires should be great, studded and summer option.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Hello all.

Similar to Ro1ex, I have upgraded my 2021 Stance E2+ to a 2021 Fox 34 Rhythm with 140mm travel and 44mm offset. The Rhythm is Fox’s OEM range of forks fitted to new bikes and uses 6000 series aluminum for the upper tubes & crown but it shares the same internals as Fox’s Performance range. It has the FiT-GRIP damper and compression (sweep adjust across range) & rebound adjustment.

The original forks on the Stance were SR Suntour XCR34 Air, they have a 34mm diameter stanchion, 130mm travel, a 51mm offset, with Boost axle 15x110mm, a 29” wheel, and a steerer tube length measured at 194mm.

I did some calculations, the increase in the fork length of 10mm (130mm to 140mm) reduces headtube angle by 0.5 degrees approx. A reduction of headtube angle will increase wheelbase by 4mm. The longer wheelbase will improve stability, particularly at speed, however, a longer wheelbase may require more input at lower speeds, particularly on tighter sections of a track. The other change is offset (51mm to 44mm) this increases trail from 104mm to 111mm (7mm). Both the increase in travel and reduction in offset give an overall change to trail which increases from 104mm to 115mm (11mm) and wheelbase increases by 4mm. This may improve straight-line stability however again the front wheel could feel harder to turn in.
IMG_1161.JPG
IMG_1162.JPG

On the few rides I have done so far with a mix of MTB trails, flat & downhill, I can say that I have not noticed any drastic changes in corner handling, or that it is any harder to knock off line. But like Ro1ex I have noticed a vast improvement in the performance of the front end. I’m very happy with the change and the Fox 34 is a real step up from the Suntour that is a very basic and low cost fork.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I chose the Fox 34 Rhythm due to their cost, the set I bought were brand new, removed from a new bike that had, had a fork upgrade (although I can't imagine why) If you are interested carrying out this upgrade than there a few things that are worth noting.

Steerer length, the original Suntour had a steerer tube length that I measured at 194mm. Your Fox 34's will need to have a minimum of 182-184mm steerer tube length to have the required 1 spacer under the stem (or a shorty stem). Longer than this will allow you to fit more spacers under the stem to raise the handlebars, alternatively you may need riser bars.

To fit the standard Tektro brakes to the Fox 34's you will need a Shimano SM-MA-F203-PP disc brake mount adapter for 203mm brake rotor.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I chose the Fox 34 Rhythm due to their cost, the set I bought were brand new, removed from a new bike that had, had a fork upgrade (although I can't imagine why) If you are interested carrying out this upgrade than there a few things that are worth noting.

Steerer length, the original Suntour had a steerer tube length that I measured at 194mm. Your Fox 34's will need to have a minimum of 182-184mm steerer tube length to have the required 1 spacer under the stem (or a shorty stem). Longer than this will allow you to fit more spacers under the stem to raise the handlebars, alternatively you may need riser bars.

To fit the standard Tektro brakes to the Fox 34's you will need a Shimano SM-MA-F203-PP disc brake mount adapter for 203mm brake rotor.
Thanks for your input. How much did it cost you?
In the USA the #1 Stance E+ comes with 625Wh and a Recon fork so i was looking to get a Recon take off like you did(more or less).
I think the price might be reasonable.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Thanks for the interest. I paid NZD $700.00 (USD $450.00 or CAD $575.00) for the Fox 34 Rhythm as I couldn't justify the NZD $2125.00 price tag for a new set of Fox 34 Factory forks available down here in NZ. The Rhythm's I bought were brand new and had been removed from a new bike as the Rhythm is an OEM fork, that is, it is range that is only supplied to bicycle manufacturers for fitment to new bikes but it shares the same internals as Fox’s Performance range. A cost effective solution.
value-positioning-withtext.jpg

Last edited:

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
The Rhythm 34 is a major improvement over the SR Suntour XCR34 Air. It was only when I looked at the servicing of the XCR that I realised how basic the internals of this fork actually are. Essentially it is a spring fork with a simple air chamber on top for sag settings, a sealed cup with 10-20cc of gearbox oil (80w) and no ability to fit volume spacers. The other side is a non-serviceable damper. A service was basically - replace the dust seals and the cup (which comes with new seals), replace the oil and throw a bit of grease about.

In comparison the Rhythm’s damper is a much more complex and tuneable beast with Low-speed rebound that is tuned via the red aluminium dial at the bottom of the FiT-GRIP damper on the RHS leg, compression mode is adjusted by toggling a crown-mounted dial with sweep adjustment across the range from open to firm. The oil/air/spring chamber is also more complex mechanism and the Rhythm comes with 1 volume spacer token installed as standard and the ability to fit up to 4.

I’m still sorting through all the settings, but so far I’ve purchased extra volume spacers (and will probably add at least another 1, possibly 2), I’ve set sag to mid range (24mm) and I’m playing with the low-speed compression damping, most of the time I’m running my low speed fully open to mid range. My rebound setting is currently 2 clicks back from closed.

Although both forks have 34mm diameter stanchion, the Rhythm rides like a stiffer fork, It feels like there is less resonance in the rough and seems to track better over bumps with increased accuracy.

Last edited:

Carajean

Aug 15, 2020
Michigan
Maybe you can look on faceboo kon marketplace and find one that was replaced with an upgrade.

Just looked going to have to be long term desire. I don't see any decent rhythms let alone ones taken off an e-bike. Also looking for 130mm so that seems to be a factor too.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Heya where did you get the forks? I can't seem to find them on the website.
The Fox Rhythm & the Fox Performance Elite are OEM forks, that is, these two forks from Fox are only supplied to bicycle manufacturers for fitment to new bikes. In Fox’s range the Rhythm sits at the lower end of the range and is basically a Fox Performance albeit with a slightly lower grade aluminium used in the upper tube & crown. The Fox Performance Elite sits between the Fox Performance and Fox Factory. You can see the various spec differences in the picture above.

You are only ever going to find either a Fox Rhythm or a Fox Performance Elite on the second hand market. If you are lucky it is possible to find one that has been removed brand new. The Fox Rhythm I purchased had been removed from a new bike, unlike "Ro1ex" mine was not from an ebike, the only difference will be the internal "tune". I have not had any issue with this as the fork is very tunable with volume spacers, sag, rebound & compression settings. If you wished you could have it tailored to your exact requirements by a bike suspension workshop.

If you are looking for new on retail websites then you are only ever going to find Fox Performance and Fox Factory forks.

The major plus with either the Fox Rhythm or the Fox Performance Elite is price, if like me you pick up a new one it is being sold second hand at a discount price, as an example I paid NZD $700.00 (USD $450.00 or CAD $575.00) for my Rhythm, the Fox Performance retails in New Zealand for NZD $1700.00, the Fox Factory for about NZD $2100.00.

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
Just looked going to have to be long term desire. I don't see any decent rhythms let alone ones taken off an e-bike. Also looking for 130mm so that seems to be a factor too.
Hi all, I’ve managed to source a near new set of Fox 34 Rhythm eBike tuned forks.

If anyone is interested, PM me 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles