Stance E Behaviour

Claxxon

Aug 19, 2020
Scotland
Hi Gang,

I got my Stance E a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it to bits. There are a couple of things that happen that I'm not sure about as my only previous eMTB was on a Merida e120 for a couple of hours. When I'm in Auto mode, the motor kind of nudges me along as if I'm too low a gear. If I change up a cog I then get a feeling that I've reached the max output and I'm pedalling against the motor rather than with it.

Secondly, I'm never convinced that I'm in the right gear/assist level when it comes to climbing. A lot of the times I feel like I should be in a lower gear or a higher assist level. When I rode the Merida at a trail centre, I don't think I changed gear at all, just the assist level and it seemed to work just fine.

Hopefully it's just me being at the bottom of the learning curve but I'd like to know if anyone else has had similar experiences.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
Secondly, I'm never convinced that I'm in the right gear/assist level when it comes to climbing. A lot of the times I feel like I should be in a lower gear or a higher assist level. When I rode the Merida at a trail centre, I don't think I changed gear at all, just the assist level and it seemed to work just fine.

That is a good question and I have the same question. I find that lower gear/lower assist level gives me more range, but lower speed up hills (which is OK for me). Higher gear/higher assist level less range. That seems to the basic trade off. But more to the point of your question is stress on the motor (not to mention the rider :) ). Is lower gear/lower assist on hills (particularly steeper hills) less stress on the motor and longer motor life? I don't now, maybe someone else does?

Serge

Jul 14, 2020
Belgium
Hi Gang,

I got my Stance E a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it to bits. There are a couple of things that happen that I'm not sure about as my only previous eMTB was on a Merida e120 for a couple of hours. When I'm in Auto mode, the motor kind of nudges me along as if I'm too low a gear. If I change up a cog I then get a feeling that I've reached the max output and I'm pedalling against the motor rather than with it.

Hopefully it's just me being at the bottom of the learning curve but I'd like to know if anyone else has had similar experiences.

The AUTO mode is something to use on easy tracks or roads, going uphill obviously requires to lower gears and manually push up the assist mode, if needed. On very steep hills or technical tracks you better select lower gears to increase the cadence as it will directly increase the assist level. The AUTO mode is driven by Giant's "PedalPlus 6 Sensor Technology" which I find rather efficient as long as the cadence is 70+.
The AUTO mode is a frequent issues on fora as a love/hate issue. It is also changed at each new firmware release, not always for a better.

Claxxon

Aug 19, 2020
Scotland
Thanks for the feedback. I now have a few more rides under my belt and I'm getting a better understanding of things. I generally keep things in ECO+ (two lights) mode and switch to NORMAL (three lights) and a low gear that lets me scamper up the hills. I'm finding that this is giving me good range from the battery and I'm not bogging down on steep climbs.

Tmeyer37

Jun 22, 2020
Fremont, CA
Thanks for the feedback. I now have a few more rides under my belt and I'm getting a better understanding of things. I generally keep things in ECO+ (two lights) mode and switch to NORMAL (three lights) and a low gear that lets me scamper up the hills. I'm finding that this is giving me good range from the battery and I'm not bogging down on steep climbs.
When I was first read your post I was gonna suggest ditching auto and riding the bike some more. When I first got my bike it took sometime to learn how to interact with the motor and now I don't even think about it.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
First it is important to understand each other. Let say my transmission has 10 Speeds.
The one called 1 is to go slow, like climbing some call it *small gear because it generates small speed.
When you want to know your bike just experience in a safe area.
Imagine your are 6 years old, just try tolearn 1 thing at a time.
You probably have 5 levels of assist just use low on my bike it is 2 lights(one being extra low assist).
Ride many hours on that level so you are back to basic, proper gear selection. If you know the trails
get in an easy enough gear to reach the top so you will not shift underload.
When you can do what you want, you control the ride, simply practice with the next level
of assist. Basically i always use the medium assist so i know the response of the bike
and i know wich gear to select. It is like a trained dog, you are in control.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles