Stance E+1 suspension upgrade

Ropers101

Jun 18, 2019
Jersey
Hi everyone

I'm looking into purchasing a Giant Stance E+1 and was wondering if it's possible to upgrade the 130mm forks and 120 rear shock in the future for more travel. Also it anybody has actually done it.

I think the bike looks great for the price point however I'm slightly worried about the amount of travel it has,however I would feel reassured if I could upgrade it further down the line.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Fork yes, shock no. Upgrading forks to whatever travel is easy (though not always recommended) but when it comes to the rear shock, the Stance E +1 rocker linkage is designed for 120mm travel; you will get into trouble easy if you try to install a longer shock (not to mention void your factory warranty).

If you are worried that you might need more travel then you should be looking at the 150mm/140mm Trance E+ 2 Pro. Yes it's more expensive up front compared to the Stance E+1 but you get a better drive unit, a better (and longer travel) fork, and better drivetrain components.

And just to add to this, my friend has the Trance E+2 Pro and he has upgraded the fork air shaft to go from 150mm to 160mm travel, so now he's sitting at 160mm/140mm and it rides really good on the heavy terrain.

Ropers101

Jun 18, 2019
Jersey
Fork yes, shock no. Upgrading forks to whatever travel is easy (though not always recommended) but when it comes to the rear shock, the Stance E +1 rocker linkage is designed for 120mm travel; you will get into trouble easy if you try to install a longer shock (not to mention void your factory warranty).

If you are worried that you might need more travel then you should be looking at the 150mm/140mm Trance E+ 2 Pro. Yes it's more expensive up front compared to the Stance E+1 but you get a better drive unit, a better (and longer travel) fork, and better drivetrain components.

And just to add to this, my friend has the Trance E+2 Pro and he has upgraded the fork air shaft to go from 150mm to 160mm travel, so now he's sitting at 160mm/140mm and it rides really good on the heavy terrain.
Thanks for your reply

That's great to know,just what I was hoping to find out.

I'm going to have a think about my options. I've never ridden with 120 on the rear so I'm unsure as to whether it would be suitable.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Thanks for your reply

That's great to know,just what I was hoping to find out.

I'm going to have a think about my options. I've never ridden with 120 on the rear so I'm unsure as to whether it would be suitable.

Well to be fair, it all depends on what type of terrain you'll be riding the most. If you're staying on green or blue-type trails and terrain, 120mm is more than enough.

As a comparison, I mostly ride double black diamond stuff, and my non-e MTB is a 180mm/180mm Commencal Supreme SX. When I went shopping for an e-MTB I also was concerned about my Meta Power 29 having "just" 150mm/140mm of travel, but I was surprised that it could handle the same type of terrain!

Ropers101

Jun 18, 2019
Jersey
Well to be fair, it all depends on what type of terrain you'll be riding the most. If you're staying on green or blue-type trails and terrain, 120mm is more than enough.

As a comparison, I mostly ride double black diamond stuff, and my non-e MTB is a 180mm/180mm Commencal Supreme SX. When I went shopping for an e-MTB I also was concerned about my Meta Power 29 having "just" 150mm/140mm of travel, but I was surprised that it could handle the same type of terrain!
I do believe that 120 will be enough,its just that thought in the back of my head knowing I can't even it I wanted to Haha!

It's always one of those things when looking for a new bike,if I spend this much extra I can get this and then in the end you're looking at a 6k plus bike.

I was looking at a base levo but at £4000 the spec doesn't look great for the money. Decisions decisions

Ropers101

Jun 18, 2019
Jersey
Tredz also have the Trance e+3 which is currently pre order only. It's an extra £300 on the Stance so I will be looking into that for sure. I'm not sure about the green tho.

If anybody has any pictures of the Trance e+3 could you please post them so that I can have a look,cant find any good ones online.

Thanks

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Please let us know what you did. On july 8 2020 i bought the 2020 Stance. After 3 months i switched from 2.6x27.5 to 2.8 and i prefer that.
I am considering switching the fork from 130 to 140 in a few months. Thanks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles