Stance 29er

Hjp

Aug 24, 2021
Uk
Hi, first long ride at weekend, covered 36 miles, took a full battery down to 1 bar. Is this average milage?
The working bit ,at one point a red light come on and assistance stopped. Turned off and on again it disappeared. But did get the feeling motor was cutting in and out. Any ideas?

Hjp

Aug 24, 2021
Uk
I could see only getting 36 miles depending on the assist level, grade, and weight overall. What was the ride?
Mixed train tow path, following a canal. There and back, minium assistance going, auto on return.

Hjp

Aug 24, 2021
Uk
So it was pretty flat?
I know that the auto mode consumes more power so I quit using it after a couple of weeks.
Was it windy?
No , good weather, a few uphill stretches, some rough going , grass and stone chippings.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
The battery range is certainly effected by the terrain, surface, rider weight, headwind and power level selected. Yesterday I completed a 42km (26 mile) ride on my 2021 Stance E2+ 29er on a relatively flat trail (GPS showed 250m elevation) with mixed gravel and tarmac. I used mode level 2 assist on the way out with a tailwind and at the halfway mark my Garmin indicated 67% battery remaining (33% used), I then used level 3 on the return with a headwind. At completion I had 24% battery remaining (43% used on return leg). I am not a small man, 61 years, 6'1, 105kg (240lbs). From my experience Auto certainly consumes far more battery than self management. Also my experience is that under about 10-15% the battery charge state displayed becomes pretty flaky. My Edge 830 shows a fairly even % decline down to 10-15% battery level based on the similar terrain, I can now judge with a reasonable margin of error how much battery I will consume for a given climb. Weight plays a significant part in ebike performance and range, approx 10% further distance all things being equal for a rider weighing 20kg less. A good video is here:

A good video is here: How Does Rider Bodyweight Affect E Bike Performance? | 70Kg Vs 90Kg Data

The problem with using just the RideControl One indicator Power Level LEDs as your only power level indication is that the LEDs extinguish at the 80%, 60%, 40% & 20% battery levels (in actual fact the Garmin show that in actual fact this point is %79, 59%, 39% & 19%). What this means is that with 3 LEDs on you have somewhere between 60% & 40%. I believe that this provides you with very little info on your actual battery level, at 60% I find is a reassuring level, the 40% not so much, so I find that this alarming when this jump happens and this is why I went to the Edge 830 for battery level indications as it always provides and accurate % level.

I made a statement that "under about 10-15% the battery charge state displayed is pretty flaky". What I meant by this is that I have found battery usage to be far from linear with only one LED (20%) on. I have on a number of occasions at low battery levels that there is large % drops over a very short distance. I have seen rapid drops of 5-10% in this range (from 1 LED to flashing red) in only a km or two on reasonably flat terrain. I now treat the single LED (19% on the Garmin) as my "low fuel tank" light and plan to be near the end of my ride or expect to be riding in treacle at any moment.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Yup, I have a Garmin 530 and really like the actual battery percentage.
Pure road riding I can pretty much get 1km per percentage of battery. I'm 235lbs and 65 years old. This is mostly at level 2 assist.
With rough trails, some 13% grades etc and liberal use of higher assist levels the battery is depleted much more quickly.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I agree Dave, my range on a flat road surface would be around the 100km mark at level 2, at the other end of the scale a 35km trail ride on Monday with 3 climbs of 350m, 250m & 250m using levels 2-4 depending on gradient (mostly 2 & 3 with a small amount of 4) completely accounted for my battery and I arrived home on the flashing red.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I agree Dave, my range on a flat road surface would be around the 100km mark at level 2, at the other end of the scale a 35km trail ride on Monday with 3 climbs of 350m, 250m & 250m using levels 2-4 depending on gradient (mostly 2 & 3 with a small amount of 4) completely accounted for my battery and I arrived home on the flashing red.
Yup, and I think another component is cadence. Keeping your cadence higher is more efficient than pushing harder in the wrong gear.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I agree, I've been considering a Cadence Sensor for the Garmin, also it would be great to know how the input of the various torque and speed sensors on the bike effect motor output and hence battery usage. Certainly being in the right Gear and able to maintain higher rpm must improve range and I'm hoping the sensor will help with this.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I agree, I've been considering a Cadence Sensor for the Garmin, also it would be great to know how the input of the various torque and speed sensors on the bike effect motor output and hence battery usage. Certainly being in the right Gear and able to maintain higher rpm must improve range and I'm hoping the sensor will help with this.
I get current and average cadence out of the Garmin 530, so it's in yours too!

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Thanks Dave, you just saved me $70.00. I looked all through the Edge 830 manual and all I could find was reference to fitting a sensor. I assume I can just add it as a field?

Hjp

Aug 24, 2021
Uk
The flashing red wasn't at the end of the battery scale, but centre of the controller.
If battery was getting very low, would it feel like motor was cutting in and out?

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
The flashing red wasn't at the end of the battery scale, but centre of the controller.
If battery was getting very low, would it feel like motor was cutting in and out?
I've never experienced a flat battery while riding, but I'm told that the power is just cut with enough juice still left to run a light.
Sounds like you encountered an error.

Cory S

Aug 24, 2020
Bradford NH
My 625Wh Stance E+1 has incredible range. I did a 28 mile ride today with almost 2700’ of elevation climb and used 58%. I do not use auto mode. Usually level 2-4. Best mileage was a rail trail long 50 mile ride and used 72%. I’m 210lbs without gear.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
A few things are basics for any Ebike.
- Loose weight if possible, at 140 pounds i have no issue.
- Use gears like any bike.
- Keep cadence high enough
- Use less assist, i am often on 3 lights, medium assist.
- Yamaha, the Stance are not bad for distance, just accept limits or
improve your energy management.
Many do not use the auto mode, i am one of those riders.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles