ST Ride App - Tracker/dash/logger for STEPS motors

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Can you upload ride logs (Edited, mistypes 'ride looks') directly to Strava? I've been emailing myself a GPX file and uploading from my laptop.

Last edited:

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
After exporting to GPX Android system should ask you what App to use for this file - just select Strava App
Oh, so you download the file and then have to go to downloaded files and open the file? I'll play with it. I'll have to say the app has been very reliable.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Oh, so you download the file and then have to go to downloaded files and open the file? I'll play with it. I'll have to say the app has been very reliable.
No. You have to click on "Export to GPX" at STRide and next click on "Strava App" at Android App selection form.

mrwooster

Jun 8, 2020
Canada
Ok, I'll include Strava API support in next release

This is the biggest thing for me as well. I love the app but im not able export to Strava.

In case it helps with the debugging, I am on a Samsung Galaxy S10, when click the export/share button, Strava does not come up as an option to share the file with.

A couple of other ideas/notes:

* I find it hard to get to the list of rides sometimes - would be great to have it as a more prominent menu item
* If you are doing a strava API integration (which would be amazing), having a setting to automatically upload to strava when the ride ends would be great
* I know it was discussed earlier in the thread, but getting a estimated power output. I know this is not provided by the motor but is there a way to calculate it measuring the battery consumption or looking at the boost mode?

Overall this app is amazing, please keep up the good work!

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I love the app but im not able export to Strava.
You can do this by exporting to GPX/TCX and import at www.strava.com

* I find it hard to get to the list of rides sometimes - would be great to have it as a more prominent menu item
How?

* If you are doing a strava API integration (which would be amazing), having a setting to automatically upload to strava when the ride ends would be great
Ok

* I know it was discussed earlier in the thread, but getting a estimated power output. I know this is not provided by the motor but is there a way to calculate it measuring the battery consumption or looking at the boost mode?
As I said, it can be calculated using actual assist (%) * max assist (%) for current mode * max power. But, I think that this can be used as well as the weather on the moon...

mrwooster

Jun 8, 2020
Canada
You can do this by exporting to GPX/TCX and import at www.strava.com

I did manage to get this to work, but its a lot of steps. You cant do it via the app, and if I open strava.com on my phone it automatically opens the app (i know it can be disabled, but more steps again). So the way I have to currently do this is export the file, email it to myself, open it on my pc and upload to strava. The API integration would just make this super smooth :D

When I see 'Statistics' in the menu option, it makes me think of aggregated statistics of all my rides - e.g. total km ridden ever etc. I think it would make much more sense to rename this item to 'Ride Logs', and possibly have a separate statistics section with aggregated lifetime stats.

When clicking on 'Statistics', it takes me directly into my latest ride, not a list of rides. Because of the way I use the app, I would prefer it to take me to the ride list and let me choose what ride I want to view. I often go back over my rides and compare them to previous rides and so having it always jump to the latest ride is an extra step. This may be down to how I specifically use the app but wanted to share anyway.

Finally, there is a UI bug on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S10) when I open the 'Statistics' page - as you can see in the attached picture, the 'Statistics' overlay at the top hides the 'Session' menu so for a few seconds, I cant actually click on the 3 dots on the right to get to the full list of rides.

1591719477154.png

As I said, it can be calculated using actual assist (%) * max assist (%) for current mode * max power. But, I think that this can be used as well as the weather on the moon...

I completely agree, but it would still be nice to have this even with the above caveats to compare rides. Strava is the same - a lot of the stats are very inaccurate, but are consistent so you can use them to track how your performance changes on the same ride. This would be useful to see if on the same route I was using more or less power than before.

Once again, thanks again for all the great work, hopefully this is helpful

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Finally, there is a UI bug on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S10) when I open the 'Statistics' page - as you can see in the attached picture, the 'Statistics' overlay at the top hides the 'Session' menu so for a few seconds, I cant actually click on the 3 dots on the right to get to the full list of rides.
It's not a bug. Just wait until "Statistic" toolbar disappears

mrwooster

Jun 8, 2020
Canada
It's not a bug. Just wait until "Statistic" toolbar disappears

Yes, i understand, im just commenting that it breaks the UI flow for me - I click on the app, menu, statistics - all instantly, then i have to wait a few seconds to continue my UI journey, so it takes me extra time to get to my list of rides. Its also difficult because the overlay is translucent - so I end up clicking on it by accident thinking its already disappeared.

davidi161

Jun 10, 2020
UK
Hello Vadll,
Thank you this app, I have just downloaded it as I was really impressed with the STUnlocker app.
However I load it up and it just sits there and won't connect. Is there somewhere I need to enter the pin again like with unlocker??

I have nothing else connected and I am running 4.7.1 firmware with E8000 motor and 7000 SC

mrwooster

Jun 8, 2020
Canada
Hello Vadll,
Thank you this app, I have just downloaded it as I was really impressed with the STUnlocker app.
However I load it up and it just sits there and won't connect. Is there somewhere I need to enter the pin again like with unlocker??

I have nothing else connected and I am running 4.7.1 firmware with E8000 motor and 7000 SC
Hi Davidi, just FYI I find that mine will only connect right after I power my bike on. If I wait more than about 10s and then try to connect it wont, but if I power the bike on and immediately try to connect the app it works fine.

davidi161

Jun 10, 2020
UK
Yes I have tried that a few times as that was the only way to get ST Unlocker working also.
Have you got any other ideas what it might be please.?

Could it be the pin code, I can't see anywhere to add it in?

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
What does it means "won't connect"? Does App shows "Devices" dialog? Does it try to connect your bike and shows an error? What error?
Does your bike has non-default PIN? What phone do you use? Android version?

davidi161

Jun 10, 2020
UK
Hello Vadll,

I open the app and the circle connect box is just there and does nothing when I press it.
Yes my bike has a different pin code... On the Unlocker app there was an option to set a pin which resolved my issues... I can't see the same option here to use?

I am using a Samsung s9

Screenshot_20200612-125449_Settings.jpg

davidi161

Jun 10, 2020
UK
Good afternoon, just tried it again and I do not get that message or anything else... The connect button just doesn't work.

Screenshot_20200613-080409_ST Ride.jpg

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Good afternoon, just tried it again and I do not get that message or anything else... The connect button just doesn't work.
Ok, it looks like this is Samsung issue only. I don't have any Samsung device so I'll try to find any used one for tests.

Anyway, try with the latest 1.2.26 version

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
New version with Strava integration was uploaded with "Auto upload recorded session" option.
Screenshot_1592303352.png

1. At App settings - click on "Connect with Strava", enter your Strava login/password and confirm integration with the App
2. Setup other "integration" params

After that you can export recorded session to Strava from "Statistics -> Sessions". Also, if "Auto upload" is set, App will upload your recorded session automatically.

dscintille

May 11, 2020
UT, USA
Update 2020/05/03:
App is available at Google Play

I decided to start developing an App for collecting and displaying information that is available for Shimano STEPS motors: speed/cadence/assist/Di2 data and etc, combined with GPS data and data from other external sensors as heart rate monitors and etc. The only problem is that data from the motor can be collected from any STEPS displays (E7000, E6100, EN100) other than the most common E8000. This is outrageously stupid on the part of Shimano.

It's lucky that the E7000 display is installed in my bike, so I made some initial version. At this moment the App collects bikes data (including Di2 data), HR from common Bluetooth HRM sensor and phone's GPS data. App has circumference correction factor, so it shows correct Speed/Distance on the dash even if you set minimal circumference for a higher speed limit.

So I am ready to listen to your suggestions for the further development of the App. For example, what features do you want to see in such Apps?

I've been doing some research into the BLEvo app developed for the Brose motors and one feature looks really useful. It's possible to link your heart rate to the motor via the app so that the level of assistance increases when a pre-set heart rate is reached. Thus letting your heart rate control the amount of power produced by the motor. Is there any way to add this to your app?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I've been doing some research into the BLEvo app developed for the Brose motors and one feature looks really useful. It's possible to link your heart rate to the motor via the app so that the level of assistance increases when a pre-set heart rate is reached. Thus letting your heart rate control the amount of power produced by the motor. Is there any way to add this to your app?
I'm working on this, but didn't find Shimano commands for changing assist mode yet. Moreover, the only one way is to switch between Eco/Trail/Boost. It's not possible to increase/decrease assist level on fly.

dscintille

May 11, 2020
UT, USA
I'm working on this, but didn't find Shimano commands for changing assist mode yet. Moreover, the only one way is to switch between Eco/Trail/Boost. It's not possible to increase/decrease assist level on fly.

Thanks for the information. I understand if it's not possible, but it'd be cool if you could add it when/if it's possible.

Great job on the app so far. It's looking really great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles