Sram Ex1 driveline

JoshDwnHll

Sep 22, 2018
South Australia
Im hopefully getting a SRAM EX1 driveline installed onto my haibike dwnhll pro. Has anyone got any experiences with this driveline? At the moment the haibike has a 11-36t cassette which is crap for climbing. Im hoping the 48t cassette will allow me to use eco when climbing rather than relying on turbo.

JoshDwnHll

Sep 22, 2018
South Australia
Came specced on my Spectral:On 8.0
Wasn’t sure at first but love it now. The simplicity is great, just 8 gears!
There are loads of reviews on it but here’s one for starters ?
SRAM EX1 e-bike drivetrain review - Mtbr.com
Cheers for your reply always good hearing from people who have direct experience with it. My cassette is so close ratio that i find im having to change 3 gears at a time just to notice a difference.

My biggest question is do you notice much crunching during gear changes?

Veetwinboy

Jan 19, 2019
Exmouth
No it’s really sweet, although you do get the occasional ‘schnick’ as it drops into gear. Read up on this and it’s because of the engagement design. But generally buttery smooth and changes under power no problem. One click changes are like a double change on a normal cassette. Like I said, was sceptical but really like it now.

JoshDwnHll

Sep 22, 2018
South Australia
No it’s really sweet, although you do get the occasional ‘schnick’ as it drops into gear. Read up on this and it’s because of the engagement design. But generally buttery smooth and changes under power no problem. One click changes are like a double change on a normal cassette. Like I said, was sceptical but really like it now.

Brilliant to hear, im paying 519aud for the driveline which is half of what it is normally worth so will report back once its fitted.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I test rode a bike with that cassette. I accept that it is stronger and should last longer etc. But I could not find a gear I liked, I always felt as though I was pedalling too fast or too slow. I much preferred the next bike down the range (which I also tested) that had 11-speed.

I mentioned this to the tech guy at the LBS and he said that fitting a ring with a different number of teeth on it may solve the problem......

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I test rode a bike with that cassette. I accept that it is stronger and should last longer etc. But I could not find a gear I liked, I always felt as though I was pedalling too fast or too slow. I much preferred the next bike down the range (which I also tested) that had 11-speed.

I mentioned this to the tech guy at the LBS and he said that fitting a ring with a different number of teeth on it may solve the problem......
I don't honestly see how the chainring makes much difference - the relative gaps between ratios won't change, but they will affect you at slightly different speeds. I suppose it might be possible to improve the situation slightly, but if you don't like such big gaps you still won't like them after a chainring swap IMO.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I can see it being a very suitable drivetrain for the OP, where it sounds like the main use is effectively uplifting a DH bike, but a lot of people find the jumps in the gearing annoying.

JoshDwnHll

Sep 22, 2018
South Australia
Cheers for the feed back I definitely have the same concerns. I'm currently using a close ratio cassette and shift several gears at a time just to notice a difference. I think I need to try test riding another bike with it fitted.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
My bike comes standard with this and i have had pretty good luck with it.
I prefer it when playing but found in a couple races i was stuck between gears a lot and it cost me.
Also have had a few people who purchased new bikes who ride in high power all the time have chain issues and broken a couple teeth off the bigger rear sprocket and damaged the chain in less then 50 miles
But these are 11x50 rear rings.
And the advice of changing the front chain ring does help a lot. I switch between 28-32-34 front rings.
On long rides i run 28 as i have low gearing if i should run out of battery on way home.
If on ohv trails and unrestricted i run 34
But i will day of you run a dip in trail and get stuck in a high gear on steep climb it won’t upshift without a heck of a racket and crunch.
I will not replace it with an 8 spd, going back to 11x50 11spd
One thing i forgot to mention. It’s only 1 gear per punch both up and down.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles