SRAM Code R brakes - opinions

Aug 25, 2022
NorCal
I like my Magura MT7/MDRP upgrade much better than the factory Code R (which were good brakes but were prone to warping and noise). Magura's have much more predictable modulation and bite point, IMO. Also, Magura rotors don't seem to warp nearly as much when hot.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
2 rides in on my new-to-me (2021 ex demo) E-160, and I hate these brakes. Very little power for the weight of the bike + me (at 80Kg).

I notice that both the outboard pistons on both front & rear calipers are sticking in and won't extend out to the rotor - so that's not going to help.

Anyone had similar problems and - if so - did you cure them (how?) or just replace the brakes?

Thanks.
Changed them to XT`s, problems solved.

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
I used to love my Code R's...... Until I got MT7's on my ebike.
Night and day difference. So much more power that when I switch between bikes I usually nearly send myself over the bars by grabbing a fistful of brake. Would dearly love to get them on my non eeb.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
Or just change to bigger and thicker rotors and better pads. The different is huge.
I actually tried to change bigger rotor (220mm) and put trickstuff power pads, didn`t have big effect. I admit that maybe I could have asked LBS to bleed them or try something else because it was new bike, but I was so dissapointed to the performance compared to my Turbos SLX`s so I just asked them to put XT`s on. Just love those Shimano brakes. And of course I can now use same pads on both bikes and bleeding is same…

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles