Sram chainring replacement.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
While cleaning Trance the other day I was surprised how worn the front chainring was after about 800km, replacement in NZ is about $100nzd so thought I'd try a cheap alternative at $25, cant be much softer than Sram one....
Screenshot_20190321-194347.png

Easy as to fit, pedal off, MRP chain guide off, unbolt chainring, dont drop the ring nuts, re-use in new ring, the ring can be rotated and threaded over crank spider.....simple!
When refitting new ring you can get nuts in easily if hole is at 6 o'clock or use tape to hold them in.
Hardest part is the nut for the mrp chain guide, I used little finger to hold nut while remounting the chain guide.

Job done, ready to ride, even if it lasts half the life of Sram ring it'll be half the price.....a stainless ring would prob be ideal but at $165 I'll try this option first.
20190322_170324.jpg

Last edited:

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
While cleaning Trance the other day I was surprised how worn the front chainring was after about 800km, replacement in NZ is about $100nzd so thought I'd try a cheap alternative at $25, cant be much softer than Sram one.... View attachment 12117
Easy as to fit, pedal off, MRP chain guide off, unbolt chainring, dont drop the ring nuts, re-use in new ring, the ring can be rotated and threaded over crank spider.....simple!
When refitting new ring you can get nuts in easily if hole is at 6 o'clock or use tape to hold them in.
Hardest part is the nut for the mrp chain guide, I used little finger to hold nut while remounting the chain guide.

Job done, ready to ride, even if it lasts half the life of Sram ring it'll be half the price.....a stainless ring would prob be ideal but at $165 I'll try this option first. View attachment 12118
Are you sure that the Sram chain ring is worn? Here is a pic of a brand new one I have, and other than paint worn off on yours the profile of the teeth look like they may be the same?

20190322_081344.jpg

Reactions: iXi

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When SRAM started the design of the Eagle series 12-speed they started from scratch. One of the key decisions was the chain ring tooth form. They ended up with one that looks worn out! They believe that along with detail design differences to the chain that they would get longer life and better power transmission.

My SRAM XX1 Eagle black chain has done almost 1500 miles (2400km) and it is only at 0.25% (I use a vernier calliper). Because I change at 0.6% - 0.65%, it is on target to do 3600 - 3900 miles. I will probably change the bike before I have to replace the chain.

The best indicator of tooth wear is the chain. If the chain has not "stretched" then the teeth will be OK, both on the ring and on the cassette. One wears the other.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
While cleaning Trance the other day I was surprised how worn the front chainring was after about 800km, replacement in NZ is about $100nzd so thought I'd try a cheap alternative at $25, cant be much softer than Sram one.... View attachment 12117

Job done, ready to ride, even if it lasts half the life of Sram ring it'll be half the price.....a stainless ring would prob be ideal but at $165 I'll try this option first. View attachment 12118

where did you get that ring from?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles