SRAM 12-speed RED eTap & RockShox Reverb AXS wireless dropper post

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
I had a wireless one and I never got used to the slight delay in the action.
This is totally different like new SRAM 12-speed RED eTap AXS. not remotely comparable to anything on the market before. But prices are just ridiculous....:sick:(n)

bobh3501

Jan 5, 2019
California
I have a base Levo on order that I plan to upgrade. I was thinking of X01/11 but I will definitely get this even though I don't need 12 speeds. Just the derailleur though. I have had Di2 on my good road bike since it came out for Ultegra - derailleur adjustments since then = 0, hassle factor = 0, missed shifts = 0.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
New technology always shows up on the top level spec first, hence the insane pricing.

Personally I would like to see this in a GX spec with 11 speed. Or better yet a 9-42 9-speed cassette for Ebike specific use.

An 11-50 cassette is almost redundant on an Ebike as is 12-speed, but I have had to do several Eagle conversions for my clients bikes.

I have been running the Box 2 Ebike drivetrain for 6 months and I never use the two lowest gears.

Of course this is only anecdotal

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
Well, Sram Etap is out for more than 3 years now and we didn't see any "cheaper" options like with Shimano Di2.
I wouldn't get your hops up, to get cheaper Etap groupset option any time soon if at all.
If you think this price is high, check out the price of road grupset with some additinal bits and powermeter..:sick:
SRAM RED eTap AXS 2x12 Groupset with Hydraulic Disc Brakes - Flat Mount - 46/33T Powermeter Crank
You get really decent complete bike for that.
at least they running decent chainring sizes for weekend cyclists now though......i ran a 46 on my sram etap set-up in the alps with a 42 rear cassette, running a wolftooth roadlink and never needed anymore top end speed....but loved having the 34/42 for climbing

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Fitted to a Levo:

Google Translate

aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMS5lbXRiLW5ld3MuZGUvdjMvMC8xNi8xNjkyNS1icDhyYzRneHN4ZzAtc3JhbWV0YXBheHNkc2...jpg

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I love that there are no cables, now surely the controller unit on an EMTB can be wireless!

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Wonder if they could set it up to link with the Spesh TCU, whereby for example if in turbo you could set it to only single down shift to prevent drivetrain damage, but in other modes allows multiple shifts.

Love the powershidt mode or whatever they call it that allows you to bang through the gears when accelerating.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Wonder if they could set it up to link with the Spesh TCU, whereby for example if in turbo you could set it to only single down shift to prevent drivetrain damage, but in other modes allows multiple shifts.

Love the powershidt mode or whatever they call it that allows you to bang through the gears when accelerating.
There's so many possibilities with things like this. I really liked the Di2 shifting when I used it on the Pivot Shuttle, this looks like next level stuff being fully wireless. Hopefully we will see the tech will trickle down soon, and ultimately get smaller / lighter on the top spec kit when its released.

Right now its a nice piece of *very expensive* kit and I can imaging when using it now wanting to go back...

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I have the last gen ETAP on my Roubaix SWorks road bike, is works brilliantly and gives super clean lines without the mech cables. That said, you’d have to be utterly mad to fit this to a MTB unless you have sponsorship or until the tech trickles down to a lower price point. One awkward minor crash could do a massive amount of damage to your pocket.

DanDilla

Jun 11, 2018
Germany
Don‘t know if there are factory equipped ones but some tests and the reviews I got from a few friends riding eagle on bio bikes indicate less wear than on a 11x drivetrain.
I expect the axs to shift more reliable, With less wear because of the same (and hopefully smoother) shifting movement / forces every shift.
If it should become a concern you could start riding gx eagle cassettes.
I stayed with my x01 which came with my bike because of the rumors around the axs dropping this spring.
Same with the CommandPost, which is creaking and just not working like the reverb I owned before and loved (except for the remote at freezing temps :D).
I also will use it in the Enduro I‘m building up this summer and swap if needed.
Already ordered both at my local dealer. :D

The look of the handlebar with just the breaking cables and the mounting are also a very big advantage imo...

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Love the idea, now we need to see it tested on an ebike with multiple shifts under load.

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
Just curious.... my bike shop told me that only original crankset could be fitted to 2019 Levo, but that pic of the AXS Levo shows the new set installed. Anybody know ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles