Spinning the cassette backwards by packpedalling......how to?

locoboy

Jan 15, 2022
Midlands
Being new to E bikes, I didn't realise that when you back pedal the hain doesn't move and the cassette doesn't rotate!
When cleaning and lubing the chain on my normal bike I spin the cranks backwards whilst cleaning/lubing. How do you achieve this with an EMTB? is there something you can attach to the crank arm that engages the sprocket or is the motor not supposed to turn backwards? for info it's a shimano EP8 Rs motor.
Thanks

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Correct, the cranks and chain are two separate entities and it's only the pedals that turn backward.

To lube the chain you need a friend to run beside you applying the lube as you cycle slowly ;)

In seriousness. Lift the bike up ,and if you have a stand hook the saddle nose on to the stand to lift the back wheel and turn the pedals as normal(with the power off). You can then lube it just as you would before.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Some people just put an allen key in one of the spider bolts, so the crank catches on it and it turns the chainring backwards.

You can buy specific products to do this.

You can also just grab the chain and pull up along the bottom, left to right. Or brave your fingers in the spider (with the motor off) and spin the chainring backwards.

GolfChick

May 16, 2019
UK
Upside down and pedal it forwards, use something to lift the bars off the ground though otherwise your controller will get scuffed.

Ziggyrags

Feb 24, 2021
Cornwall, UK
Some people just put an allen key in one of the spider bolts, so the crank catches on it and it turns the chainring backwards.

You can also just grab the chain and pull up along the bottom, left to right. Or brave your fingers in the spider (with the motor off) and spin the chainring backwards.
I was wondering if rotating the cranks backwards on an EP8 might damage the torque sensor, causing the E010 error; just a thought!
I think that lifting the rear end and rotating the pedals forward is the best option.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany

I use the allen key method. Just make sure you put some tape on the key where hit meets the crank to avoid chipping the crank. Also helps to identify the correct key from the set

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
Just take a hook and loop and tie the crank to the spider. Works fine. Remove battery while doing this. I've noticed on EP8 that spinning the chainring backwards powers up the bike for some reason. Maybe the motor is acting like generator and wakes the battery?

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I use the allen key method. Just make sure you put some tape on the key where hit meets the crank to avoid chipping the crank. Also helps to identify the correct key from the set

Tried this and in my opinion its going to wreck the bolt/damage the crank arm.

Far easier to do it in a work stand using a chain cleaner. I superglued the handle on the other side so it runs through in the correct direction.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Tried this and in my opinion its going to wreck the bolt/damage the crank arm.

Far easier to do it in a work stand using a chain cleaner. I superglued the handle on the other side so it runs through in the correct direction.
I can understand the concern, but I've had no problems at all.
Smart idea with the chain cleaner. Maybe you should patent that before Park Tools creates a cleaner with handle sockets on both sides for standard- and ebikes

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I hook the nose of the saddle over the horizontal arm of the bike stand to lift the back wheel off the ground a couple of inches or so & rotate the cranks by hand. Works for me. :)

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
All well and good, but that requires both a tool in the axle and chainring that has fixing bolts. That rear axle tool is merida specific thing and some ebikes dont have any bolts on the spider because the chainring is one-piece construction.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Being new to E bikes, I didn't realise that when you back pedal the hain doesn't move and the cassette doesn't rotate!
When cleaning and lubing the chain on my normal bike I spin the cranks backwards whilst cleaning/lubing. How do you achieve this with an EMTB? is there something you can attach to the crank arm that engages the sprocket or is the motor not supposed to turn backwards? for info it's a shimano EP8 Rs motor.
Thanks
High Rock Ruti

I replace the chain more often.....!

Warm Regards Ruti

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
grab the chain and pull is all I do, just turns the motor - probably best to make sure it's switched off first.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Alan key in one of the ring bolts, small bit of wood between the alan key and the crank arm (as being an idiot, the alan key gets jammed otherwise) and bob’s your uncle fannys your aunt…

Or just grab the chain with a hand and pull backwards whilst using the other hand to pour the chain oil and your teeth/chin to hold the bike steady 👍

IainF

Jan 10, 2021
UK
Double sided velcro around the back of one of the arms of the spider, then around the crank. Takes seconds, doesn't scratch anything and you can spin the pedals backwards and use your chain cleaner as normal!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles