Speeding

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
Maybe good if restrict ebikes to 20mph and must have insurance to ride on roads few pounds a month wont break the bank plus covered for accidents and theft ( too many kids riding on pavement on normal bikes at speed)

25 mph and I’ll happily pay £100 per year insurance , ?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
In Denmark they are doing a 1 year experiment where you can up your speed of your electric bike to 45 km/h, it does not matter road or Emtb and the only thing you have to is get an insurance and riding with helmet is mandatory. Same rules apply, only pedal assist no throttle or any other features.

Its been a huge success and I commute every day 50 km(if no rain) on my actually home made Specialized Enduro with a Bafang motor, bloody brilliant!

Karsten

Lewis

Nov 11, 2018
Littlehampton
How does befang motor compare with Brose, i started on a BB02 and burnt out motor 3 times doing 20mph so now running no pedal assist and throttle only after pedaling to get started

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
How does befang motor compare with Brose, i started on a BB02 and burnt out motor 3 times doing 20mph so now running no pedal assist and throttle only after pedaling to get started
Its doing perfect, I rode more than 3000 km last year and it did not skip a heartbeat. I do not even have throttle installed and I geared it down quite a bit, initially it could easily do 70 km/h with that crazy big front chain ring that came with it. I can do 120 km on 1 charge and it supports with more than 1500 watts.

Karsten

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
im pretty sure if you get insurance and register the bike as a road going vehicle you are allowed to ride over the cutoff?
My 45 km/h Emtb is not registered at all, only an insurance will do together with an helmet.

As a matter of fast I could de-restrict my Turbo Levo with BLevo and set limit to 45 km/h and it would be perfectly legal in Denmark. Waranty is another thing though.

Karsten

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Lots of country's including where I live (New Zealand) already have a 20mph/32kph limit and the bikes we buy here (same bikes) are mostly set up restricted to the 32kph. don't see how it causes any more issues than your 15mph limit.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I always utterly smoke people off the line, including every other normal bike I've seen, you must be HYPER fast Gary, lol.
Not HYPER fast no. but I am quite a powerful rider with a really fast max cadence (not helpful on an Emtb) and can hold a pretty good sprint.
My Emtb is a 170mm travel 50lb lump with aggressive tyres.
My roadbike is 18lb with fast rolling light tyres
my BMX is 18lb and a race bike so also has fast tyres
my 4X bike is 24lb(ish) and also has fast tyres
0-15mph is a very short sprint.
I reckon all these normal bike riders you are 'smoking' either aren't trying very hard, aren't decent sprinters, are also on heavy unsuitable bikes/tyres or simply don't realise they're in a "race" ;)

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Not HYPER fast no. but I am quite a powerful rider with a really fast max cadence (not helpful on an Emtb) and can hold a pretty good sprint.
My Emtb is a 170mm travel 50lb lump with aggressive tyres.
My roadbike is 18lb with fast rolling light tyres
my BMX is 18lb and a race bike so also has fast tyres
my 4X bike is 24lb(ish) and also has fast tyres
0-15mph is a very short sprint.
I reckon all these normal bike riders you are 'smoking' either aren't trying very hard, aren't decent sprinters, are also on heavy unsuitable bikes/tyres or simply don't realise they're in a "race" ;)
then more fool them! i'm top of all the leaderboards I create on the fly :p

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
I've not ridden a regular bike for about 4,500 miles now, roughly 3 years, and the bike I used to have was a 45lb batavus (living in amsterdam) so I imagine I'd be surprised at how much my leg power has increased and I think I'd probably be pretty similar to my emtb for the first few seconds *trying substantially harder mind you, but yeah, thinking about it, you're right.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
In Denmark they are doing a 1 year experiment where you can up your speed of your electric bike to 45 km/h, it does not matter road or Emtb and the only thing you have to is get an insurance and riding with helmet is mandatory. Same rules apply, only pedal assist no throttle or any other features.

Its been a huge success and I commute every day 50 km(if no rain) on my actually home made Specialized Enduro with a Bafang motor, bloody brilliant!

Karsten
The Specialized Turbo Vado is approved i Denmark up to 45 km/h.
The motor is this one:
Specialized 1.2 S, Custom Rx Street Tuned Motor, 250W Nominal
Then the 1.3 or 2.1 engines should be able to cope with higher speed-limit than the Euro 25 km/h :devilish:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles