• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Speedchip vs Speedbox vs VOLSpeed vs...

sigg

Jul 1, 2020
Poland
Hi,

i'm thinking about derestricting my bike but I see all these different systems and wanted to ask if there is one that is better than the other?

I've read that for example Speed Box requires a "wait" before you can turn off your bike which seems like an annoying requirement - do others have this problem too?

Does anyone have any experiences in this matter?

Rawnei

Jul 28, 2020
Sweden
Hey @sigg, I was in your exact seat, I've got a Bosch motor with latest firmware and did a lot of research and reading around various tuning methods, was contemplating doing the simple magnet method, badassbox and speedbox but was also afraid of getting the 504 errors, finally my choice landed on Volspeed v3 due to the great non-fuss features it has (the dynamic and custom speed limit in particular caught my eye) and how it seems to work really great with the latest Bosch software without giving the 504's (from reading various comments and forums about this) and you don't have to think about countdowns when you stop, you just plug and go and easy to disable. I ordered it like yesterday so I haven't gotten mine yet but should get it any day and really looking forward to it.

Cheers.

Rawnei

Jul 28, 2020
Sweden
Thanks @Rawnei - can I ask you where did you order it from?

Well since I'm in Sweden I used a local retailer called "elcykeltrim", was almost the same price as ordering directly from volspeed but figuring it would be less fuzz and faster delivery for me ordering from a local one. Don't know the best choices for you in Poland. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles