• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Speedbox v3 vs Volspeed v3 for Bosch Gen4

MonkeyBars

Sep 5, 2020
Bristol
Hi all,
I've been reading through all the posts in here from the last year or so but I don't know if it's helped or hindered me :rolleyes:
I have a Cube with a Bosch Gen4 motor (with Kiox) running the latest firmware and want to remove the 15.5mph limit. The Volspeed has the obvious lack of countdown but my LBS has said if they supply and fit a Speedbox v3 then they will honour the bikes warranty so it seems a no brainer.
Historic posts in here seem to show that a small number of people get errors using either unit and that overall one is not better than the other. Is that a fair judgement?

With the Speedbox, having the bike count down before turning it off doesnt bother me really, but I don't quite understand if/how this affects you when you are riding. If I ride over the 15.5mph limit and then stop, is starts a countdown right? If I ride off before this countdown finishes then there is a few second delay before the motor kicks in? I also read you can only do this a certain number of times before receiving a fault code? I must have this bit wrong or surely everyone would use the Volspeed...

Appreciate any views or advice on this. I could always use a Speedbox during the warranty period and then switch to a Volspeed after if need be, but although I dont mind waiting when i'm finished, I can't be dealing with any faffing around during a ride.

Cheers.

gasss

Aug 11, 2020
Barcelona
I have had speedbox installed for many months, with firm 1.0.2 and 1.0.3, no problem but the countdown and the delay was super annoying, now I have only 1 month with volspeed, so far perfect, installed with the new firm 1.1.0 , there is no countdown or any kind of delay, it is too early to say if there will be no errors, at the moment there is already one person who has obtained the 504 error with a few kilometers, we will cross our fingers so that no more cases appear

In summary, either of the two will work for you and with either one you will assume the risk that the 504 error appears, personally after having both I am left with the volspeed

Last edited:

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
Hi all,
I've been reading through all the posts in here from the last year or so but I don't know if it's helped or hindered me :rolleyes:
I have a Cube with a Bosch Gen4 motor (with Kiox) running the latest firmware and want to remove the 15.5mph limit. The Volspeed has the obvious lack of countdown but my LBS has said if they supply and fit a Speedbox v3 then they will honour the bikes warranty so it seems a no brainer.
Historic posts in here seem to show that a small number of people get errors using either unit and that overall one is not better than the other. Is that a fair judgement?

With the Speedbox, having the bike count down before turning it off doesnt bother me really, but I don't quite understand if/how this affects you when you are riding. If I ride over the 15.5mph limit and then stop, is starts a countdown right? If I ride off before this countdown finishes then there is a few second delay before the motor kicks in? I also read you can only do this a certain number of times before receiving a fault code? I must have this bit wrong or surely everyone would use the Volspeed...

Appreciate any views or advice on this. I could always use a Speedbox during the warranty period and then switch to a Volspeed after if need be, but although I dont mind waiting when i'm finished, I can't be dealing with any faffing around during a ride.

Cheers.
Did you end up getting the volspeed? Wondering how it went and if you received any errors.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles