speedbox shimano e8000 help

tonyker

Jan 28, 2019
Surrey
Have installed the speedbox1 Shimano on my Vitus, I keep getting the error code W011. can anybody help, I have watched the vid and have does what it says and nothing,

tonyker

Jan 28, 2019
Surrey
Is the speedboat wired into the lighting circuit? And if so have you turned on the lighting circuit on?

I have wired it in to the positive terminal, this allows it to run all the time, using the lighting switch allows you to turn it off, from my knowledge.

I have not done anything with the magnet/ sensor are you meant to take this off or change it some way?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am not familiar with the speedbox1 enough to know, I only know that most devices of its type work off the lighting ciuit

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
I threw my speedbox in the garbage bin...i kept having error codes (going up real steep climbs, also blasting down full tilt)...got so frustrated, i got rid of it...think it's a bad piece of kit.
Now i ride restricted and it doesn't bother me. And it rides like clockwork and longer

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Have installed the speedbox1 Shimano on my Vitus, I keep getting the error code W011. can anybody help, I have watched the vid and have does what it says and nothing,
This is a sensor error, have you checked to make sure the sensor and motor terminals are the right way round, I had this code come up when trying to get my speed box to work. Still cant get it to work. The speedometer freezes as 12mph and the motor stops assisting shortly after. The crank also clicks as it rotates once the motor stops assisting. My motor is a Shimano E8000 with Di2, I have the correct speed box 1 but it just doesn't work. I've tried everything, light on, lights off, (no light fitted) Anyone have any ideas?

Ginsterdrz

Jun 14, 2019
Lancashire
I'd been looking at the Speedbox1 but this thread has put me right off along with an advertising video which I saw a day ago. The ad showed the manufacturer handling the motherboards with chips installed using bare hands which from my electronics experience is a major no no.
Get your money back-I always buy electrical stuff on my credit card for double cover!

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
I'd been looking at the Speedbox1 but this thread has put me right off along with an advertising video which I saw a day ago. The ad showed the manufacturer handling the motherboards with chips installed using bare hands which from my electronics experience is a major no no.
Get your money back-I always buy electrical stuff on my credit card for double cover!
Thanks, I brought it through EBay so have Ebay support to return the chip. I have had some email communication with Speedbox but nothing they have suggested has worked so far.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Ok I had another look at the speedbox and refitted it, after several road tests I’ve found that the speed box is working but there are a few issues.
1 as mentioned in the speed box web site the speedometer freezes at 12mph.
2 The motor does continue to assist but the final cut off speed is in known, unless you can a second speed recording device.
3 When the motor stops assisting it disengages with the crank that can be felt when peddling at max speed. My guess is that this is a Shimano safety feature that’s built in to stop the motor from damage When 50kph or 30mph is reached.
4 The error code W011 intermittently comes in and goes off when 50kph or 30mph is reached. My guess is that the electronic sensor doesn’t pick up at max speed.

In conclusion it works but it’s annoying that the points identified above are a pain and spoil the ride. I’ve risen other Emtb bikes with different motors that have been chipped that don’t have these issues.

I think I’ll use it for now but only for additional assist up steep inclines and turn it of on down hill runs.

I will also look at an alternative option to reprogram the motor.

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
Having same issue with error w011 on my brand new decoy. Can't really reposition magnet as it is integrated in the disc.
Do you guys know how to fix this issue?

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
The Steps Unlocker app works an absolute treat. After bemoaning de-restriction I’m now a convert having switched to the US limit, makes things much more fun... However, somewhat ironically, I’m absolutely loving my normal MTB after a few months of eBike ownership - definitely room in the stable for both.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Having same issue with error w011 on my brand new decoy. Can't really reposition magnet as it is integrated in the disc.
Generally the error code only comes up when the magnet and sensor are not aligned. Does the error code come up instantly after being switched on.

Reactions: MsO

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
Generally the error code only comes up when the magnet and sensor are not aligned. Does the error code come up instantly after being switched on.
After a couple of meters pedalling as the speedometer stays on 0 and error comes up.

The yt decoy has the magnet integrated in the brake rotor. I checked and it's perfectly in place.

Not sure what to.do. Shimano not replying and yt either.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
After a couple of meters pedalling as the speedometer stays on 0 and error comes up.

The yt decoy has the magnet integrated in the brake rotor. I checked and it's perfectly in place.

Not sure what to.do. Shimano not replying and yt either.
Do you have DI2 electric gearing? Have you activated the unit via the lights on/off function? Are the lights set the light off or on? You can bypass having to activate the speed box by not connecting the red power cable. Have you got the sensor and motor leads the right way round? Also are the connectors, connected all the way home? Sorry lots of questions, some may seem obvious but it’s worth checking them all.

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
Do you have DI2 electric gearing? Have you activated the unit via the lights on/off function? Are the lights set the light off or on? You can bypass having to activate the speed box by not connecting the red power cable. Have you got the sensor and motor leads the right way round? Also are the connectors, connected all the way home? Sorry lots of questions, some may seem obvious but it’s worth checking them all.
No I have the manual shifting and no speed box. Just the bike as it was out of the factory

Freebert

Feb 4, 2019
Kasterlee/Belgium
There is a connector which could be bad. You can visually check something: Pull it of and check the little 'slit' they made in it to fit the other connector. With me the little pin inside was damaged from factory. I promptly got a new one and everything worked like it should.

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
There is a connector which could be bad. You can visually check something: Pull it of and check the little 'slit' they made in it to fit the other connector. With me the little pin inside was damaged from factory. I promptly got a new one and everything worked like it should.
Thanks. Where do I find the connector? In the downtime under the battery?

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Thanks. Where do I find the connector? In the downtime under the battery?

The long barrel connector has a slit in it that lines up with the male connector from the speed sensor.

1567502923274.jpeg

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke

My guess is it has something to do with the Shimano software. Went out the other day but turned the chip off by putting the light in the off position. Had about 10, W011 sensor faults in a 1 hour ride. Took the chip off and been out twice this week and no faults at all.

I'm putting it down to a software being able to see a chip and going in to fault mode. Speedbox claim it works on the E8000 steps but clearly it doesn't. I emailed Speed box but no response yet. Wouldn't recommend Speedbox for Shimano E8000 Steps with or without Di2.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
My guess is it has something to do with the Shimano software. Went out the other day but turned the chip off by putting the light in the off position. Had about 10, W011 sensor faults in a 1 hour ride. Took the chip off and been out twice this week and no faults at all.

I'm putting it down to a software being able to see a chip and going in to fault mode. Speedbox claim it works on the E8000 steps but clearly it doesn't. I emailed Speed box but no response yet. Wouldn't recommend Speedbox for Shimano E8000 Steps with or without Di2.
@mitch1808 I have the same problem on my Decoy. Did you figure out how to solve this is issue?
no I gave up with it, just don’t think the software allows you to use the chip. I did fine something else that works but only de restricts the bike to max 20mph bit it works perfectly. It’s an app called ST Unlocker. The app is £1 I think but you need to buy a licence to get the de restriction. £35 or €. Basically in America the limit is 20mph so you just reset the region in the app once connected to the motor, telling the motor your in America and it sets the limit to 20mph. The only way to reset it is to go back in to the app and reset for UK. To be honest I don’t even use that any more, happy with 15mph for a better work out and more distance as the battery drains quicker when de restricted.

Good luck

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles