• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Speedbox 3 for Bosch Gen4

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
Just to add to this, apparently numerous people have had errors on their Bosch motors (504 etc) recently. This is on bikes with and without a chip fitted, apparently a firmware update is coming soon to fix the problem.
I think the issue I've had is quite unique, no fault codes and random speed readings, I think the Speedbox I have has just developed a fault and the motor/firmware hasn't detected anything...yet!

jodo

Mar 27, 2020
Sweden
Just to add to this, apparently numerous people have had errors on their Bosch motors (504 etc) recently. This is on bikes with and without a chip fitted, apparently a firmware update is coming soon to fix the problem.
New FW 1.0.3.0. released end of march. Notes:
General functional improvements have been implemented in this software update to Version 1.0.3.0 to further enhance the software's reliability. The update should prevent any potentially erroneous recognition of tuning measures from recurring.

Colin sedgwick

Jun 7, 2020
Colne lances
Hi

Tried mine yesterday, just a quick ride around the block. Should give assist up to 99 km/h now, only tried it up to 60 km/h yet though.
Hi Mattew I have a canndale 2018 I. And I have just ordered a speedbox 3 and some sits say it’s for a 2020 then some say 2014 to 2020 I hope I haven’t wasted my money . Have you or anyone got thought. Need as much help as pos thanks bro.

Ali-G

Jun 19, 2020
Denmark
Hello! If it helps anyone: I replaced the Speedbox with a Volspeed V3. There is no delay at departure. There is no countdown. 1210 km so far error free.
i have Volspeed V3 and after 200-300 = (error 504) i have version 1.0.2.0.
Can anyone recommend other tuning device, I have heard that Speedbox 3 gives the same problem. Have anyone tried the PearTune MSO 3.0

Last edited:

Chribbe

Dec 29, 2019
Vaasa, Finland
Hi, does anyone know how to change the limit/cutoff with Speedbox3 and the kiox bosch gen4?
Is there a way or is it just the 2.5 (25km/h) or 9.9 (99km/h)?
At least I can't figure out how to set it to for example 3.2 (32km/h), any suggestions?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Have the bike with the rear wheel raised.
Then with the bike on, scroll from eco to turbo then back down to eco a figure will then show on the display.
I.e if it shows 6.0 this means theoretically the motor won't cut off till 60 mph.
What you have to do, is while this figure is displayed turn the rear wheel around, you will then see the figures change.
If you want say 20mph, keep turning the wheel until the number changes to 2.0.
The motor will then cut out at 20mph.

Chribbe

Dec 29, 2019
Vaasa, Finland
Have the bike with the rear wheel raised.
Then with the bike on, scroll from eco to turbo then back down to eco a figure will then show on the display.
I.e if it shows 6.0 this means theoretically the motor won't cut off till 60 mph.
What you have to do, is while this figure is displayed turn the rear wheel around, you will then see the figures change.
If you want say 20mph, keep turning the wheel until the number changes to 2.0.
The motor will then cut out at 20mph.
Thank you, this helped a lot! ?

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
I hit 30mph with my Volspeed at the weekend. Wouldn't want to go fast without decent goggles as my eyes were watering like crazy! ?

StilusBoy79

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
When people have opened up the drive how has the condition been?

Any signs of dust or ingress?

I’ve found this to be a bit dustier than I expected, the fittings are far from airtight.

BB5F8602-3105-4CDF-93E0-0678B925FFC4.jpeg

78F7E8D7-2411-49E4-95A0-C69C30775ED5.jpeg

685EA063-D695-4A22-A33B-12BC50AD87DA.jpeg

6DB5E742-9849-40EE-89C2-AF7ADFAD619B.jpeg

4BE78350-57CA-4E82-9818-43FF91418057.jpeg

Last edited:

StilusBoy79

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
I should mention I have been very careful around water, not ploughing through puddles. The mud you can see is very low speed splashes, it’s generally been kept dry apart from a couple of rides days after heavy rain

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
I should mention I have been very careful around water, not ploughing through puddles. The mud you can see is very low speed splashes, it’s generally been kept dry apart from a couple of rides days after heavy rain

The facia you remove is cosmetic and not designed to keep out crud. The connectors have rubber grommets on them so the plug/socket should be watertight. I wouldn't worry about it but maybe avoid riding down a shallow river or through a ford. ??

Ninja21

Feb 21, 2021
Lancashire
Im led to believe that the gen 4 motor can detect speed unlocking and that you need to set max assistance to 33kph is this correct?

Dave

jrtemp

Mar 2, 2021
Netherlands
i have Volspeed V3 and after 200-300 = (error 504) i have version 1.0.2.0.
Can anyone recommend other tuning device, I have heard that Speedbox 3 gives the same problem. Have anyone tried the PearTune MSO 3.0

A week ago I installed the bikespeed-RS on my Bosch performance line cruise (65Nm, 2020 edition). My motor isn't a gen 4 cx but it does have the Bosch anti-tuning software. I was doubting between the bikespeed-RS and peartune MSO, both are not limited to 35 km/h and work with the Bosch anti-tuning software without giving the 504 error, hopefully...

2 weeks ago a asked a few questions to [email protected]. Below the answer.
You can drive much more faster than 35km/h with PEarTune MSO installed.
And absolutely no worries, with our product you will have NO error codes
504 or 503.
We have very good algorithm, so no Bosch diagnostics can recognise that
the PEarTune MSO was installed! :)
You can switch ON/OFF anytime during the ride and the speed limit is
fully REMOVED.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018
Spain
Today the Speedbox 3.0 failed ?
I have only covered just over 300 miles with it fitted, it's only been switched on for a small percentage of that time, maybe 20 miles...
I was riding down a country lane at approx 16-18mph when the motor cut out and the display was showing random speeds. I switched it off and back on again, in walk mode it now shows 1.5 and 4.6 instead of 1.5 and 6.1. I've now removed it and returned for refund as I've now lost confidence.
I had the same issue BUT when the SpeedBox is not activated (speed limited to 25 km/h), When I switch on the speedbox the speed shows fine.

Mavica

Jul 13, 2021
Canada
Be VERY CAREFUL with this product SPEED BOX it YES unlock the speed but also it brakes your Motors I know what I talk about THREE Motors in 1 1/2 years
Yes it happen to me the display gets crazy with speeds I was a t 20 Km/h and it show me 33, 67,74, Km/h and it keep going until I stop use Speed Box, and I want my money back and the seller told me this (Sorry but I cannot help in this instance...) Be VERY CAREFUL special with this people:ebikespartsandaccessories.com They are a REAL SCAM
Look the Pic about the Warranty...
I am just WARNING people

Speed Box.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles