• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Speedbox 3 and Bosch Gen4 after update to 1.04

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Did 3 hours of ups and downs today .
I like it !

Power delivery felt more like a Brose / Levo . Felt it on the most extreme climbs . More grunt .
Quicker and smoother torque .Faster acceleration from standing start or out of corners .
20 + KM or so covered .

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Had the new 85nm update done on my cube with the speed box 3 still on the bike no problems so far ??I took the speed box 3 off my rail 7 to have the new update done to that bike and the dionosgtic showed no faults up at all and I have done 950 miles using the speed box 3 on the rail 7

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Got update last Monday .
Ridden every day since . All good !

Can feel the extra torque on extreme climbs . Also faster response to 1st pedal stroke .

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
I'm sad to inform you that I got the 504 error today with firmware 1.1.0.0 and badassBox 4. I didn't even remove the badassBox 4, just rode around in limp-mode for 90 mins until the error went away. I've been riding the bike daily for 2 weeks with the latest firmware and badassBox 4 installed on it, for at least 200-300km. Very disappointing in any case. Is Volspeed or Speedbox 3 better in this regard? Are you getting errors with those too?

Last edited:

Broke

Apr 14, 2020
Slovakia
I'm sad to inform you that I got the 504 error today with firmware 1.1.0.0 and badassBox 4. I didn't even remove the badassBox 4, just rode around in limp-mode for 90 mins until the error went away. I've been riding the bike daily for 2 weeks with the latest firmware and badassBox 4 installed on it, for at least 200-300km. Very disappointing in any case. Is Volspeed or Speedbox 3 better in this regard? Are you getting errors with those too?
Sofar no errors with speedbox 3.0 (600km ridden), but i still don't have the new 1.1.0.0 update.

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
I bought the VOLspeed v.3 and installed it yesterday, seems to work fine except for the "dynamic mode" switch, I'm not seeing 50.0 or 50.1 when pushing the buttons as shown in the operating manual. I have the Purion display. What am I doing wrong? Anyone else have this issue?

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
I bought the VOLspeed v.3 and installed it yesterday, seems to work fine except for the "dynamic mode" switch, I'm not seeing 50.0 or 50.1 when pushing the buttons as shown in the operating manual. I have the Purion display. What am I doing wrong? Anyone else have this issue?
You need to be moving to set dynamic mode.

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
Yes, I am moving. It works for you? In that case, do you push the WALK-button only or something else?
Press walk button then + button briefly

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden

Press walk button then + button briefly
Thanks but nothing works, at least it is not showing any of those codes. I've tried it in every possible way but it never shows 50.0 or 50.1. Seems like dynamic mode is always on for me. Everything else works as it is supposed to. Weird.

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
Thanks but nothing works, at least it is not showing any of those codes. I've tried it in every possible way but it never shows 50.0 or 50.1. Seems like dynamic mode is always on for me. Everything else works as it is supposed to. Weird.
I wouldn't worry about it, I have dynamic mode switched on, and I can't tell a difference as I find the gen 4 motor doesn't shut down abruptly anyway.

Chr1ssso

Aug 19, 2020
Melbourne Australia
Hi Guys, so I just put the SpeedBox 3.0 in my Focus Jam2 6.8 and love it. No issues so far and the instructions do tell you to wait a minute or so before turning off. I have the Kiox Display and it’s activated with the -+-+ sequence. Bike is running motor firmware 1.0.2.0 - The shop did offer to do an upgrade to 1.0.3.0 but it seems the 85nm upgrade is in the 1.1.0.0 upgrade which I guess is not available in Australia just yet?

really interested to see if anyone has the 1.1 update and still error free with the SpeedBox 3.0 hit me up. Also if there is no issue with the 1.0.2.0 and SpeedBox 3.0 may not even be worth the extra 10nm of torque.

Chr1ssso

Aug 19, 2020
Melbourne Australia
Been running speed box 3 with the 85nm and no problems so far update is a big improvement over the 75nm
Sounds good dude, I’m thinking I will do it also if that’s the case, how many kms have you done with the new update and speedbox3 if you don’t mind me asking? Some guys say that after a few hundreds they are seeing the error. I believe it’s super important to wait for the countdown before turning the bike off, I have a feeling some guys may not have done this which causes the motor firmware to recognise the chip. But then again some say they got the 504 error without a chip anyway!!

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Over 300 miles with new update over 900 miles with the 75nm when I had the new update done I left the speed box on the bike nothing at all showed up on the dionosgtic reports ?

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
Hi Guys, so I just put the SpeedBox 3.0 in my Focus Jam2 6.8 and love it. No issues so far and the instructions do tell you to wait a minute or so before turning off. I have the Kiox Display and it’s activated with the -+-+ sequence. Bike is running motor firmware 1.0.2.0 - The shop did offer to do an upgrade to 1.0.3.0 but it seems the 85nm upgrade is in the 1.1.0.0 upgrade which I guess is not available in Australia just yet?

really interested to see if anyone has the 1.1 update and still error free with the SpeedBox 3.0 hit me up. Also if there is no issue with the 1.0.2.0 and SpeedBox 3.0 may not even be worth the extra 10nm of torque.

I'd recommend updating when you can. The 1.0.2.0 is the version that throws up 504 errors with or without tuning.

Try get it updated to 1.1 once it's available in Aus

Chr1ssso

Aug 19, 2020
Melbourne Australia
I'd recommend updating when you can. The 1.0.2.0 is the version that throws up 504 errors with or without tuning.

Try get it updated to 1.1 once it's available in Aus
Thanks George, seems like the dealer are offering the update which adds the 10nm of torque but on the AU Bosch website its only showing 1.0.3.0.

I am heading there tomorrow to pick up a bike with the old man, after he does it ill check what version it is. Maybe they do have access to it and its just not on the AU website.

Nitshoo

Aug 30, 2020
Belgium
Goodafternoon, I just installed a speedbox 2 - 3.0 chip and noticed that the max battery-range in turbo mode now displays only 35km, when before I reached 65km! (in eco 60km instead of 135km)
Is it normal that the difference is that big?
Thanks 4 the help!

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
ERROR 504 with updated firmware after 1 month with Speed box 3.

Always allowed to count down .

Took a 2.5 hour drive to an MTB park . Switched on the bike and error 504 . :mad:

Used a cordless drill and a cut off allen key to clock up the 15 KM to unlock the limp mode . 2nd time error 504 . Once with 2019 firm ware now one with 85 NM update .

ggomeze

Oct 23, 2020
Spain
ERROR 504 with updated firmware after 1 month with Speed box 3.

Always allowed to count down .

Took a 2.5 hour drive to an MTB park . Switched on the bike and error 504 . :mad:

Used a cordless drill and a cut off allen key to clock up the 15 KM to unlock the limp mode . 2nd time error 504 . Once with 2019 firm ware now one with 85 NM update .
Thanks for sharing! Did you get it again or did you go with a different solution? I’m still with 1.0.2.0, where I also got the 504 with speedbox 3.0, and thinking about what to do. I also read that you can break the motor if you get 504 3 times, but not sure how true is that or just a rumor.
Did someone email speedbox to see what’s their point of view on this?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I haven`t used Speed box since 2x 504 .
Once with old firm ware . Once with 85 NM upgrade . Don`t want to take the chance of more 504 error .

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
I've used 2 speed box 3s on both of my emtb trek rail 7 1400 miles no issues at all and my cube stereo 160 with 600 miles again no issues at all had the 85nm upgrade done with the speed box still on the bike diagnostic report didn't pick up no errors at all

ggomeze

Oct 23, 2020
Spain
Thank you guys!. I will ask for the upgrade of firmware first. And will probably send an email to speedbox to see what do they recommend.

ggomeze

Oct 23, 2020
Spain
And here you go official response from Speedbox. I will give it a try...

Dear Ger,

thank you for your message. The error 504 is connected with a countdown - if the countdown is not respected after each ride, then the error 504 appears. The countdown is only for the SpeedBox 3.0 due to the tuning detection implemented in the generation 4 of Bosch motors. (Hence, it is not connected with the actual firmware you have on your bike).

Please, watch this video, where we explain the principle of countdown:
Also, now when you already have the error 504, it is necessary to ride the bike for at least 90 minutes (not necessarily at once) without the SpeedBox. So if you rode the bike now without SpeedBox for 90 minutes, you can install it back and the error should no longer be there.

If the error appears for 3 times in total, then the motor blocks itself and it is necessary to take the bike to your service for an engine diagnostics. Only then you risk the loss of warranty, from that reason I recommend following the countdown every time. (The best option is to leave the bike turned on after each ride - after the countdown finishes, it will turn itself off.)

Best Regards

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles