• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Speedbox 3.0 or Volspeed for Bosch 4 gen?

Broke

Apr 14, 2020
Slovakia
Hi all.

I have a new bosch 4 gen bike - Mondraker crafty RR. Which chip do you guys recommend for my bike? I have a big discount on Speedbox 3.0, so Im prefering it, but I dont want to get errors. Is Volspeed worth to pay more for it?

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
Hi all.

I have a new bosch 4 gen bike - Mondraker crafty RR. Which chip do you guys recommend for my bike? I have a big discount on Speedbox 3.0, so Im prefering it, but I dont want to get errors. Is Volspeed worth to pay more for it?
Why do you assume you'll get an error if using a Speedbox 3.0?
I've had one fitted for over 600 miles, no problem at all.

Finga

May 7, 2020
Uk
If you have fw 1.0.2.0 theres a possibility of getting a 504 with any chip, and even without one

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Just fitted a VOLspeed 3 and like that I can select speed limit each time its activated, display in mph. Biggest plus was no countdown as required at end of Speedbox ride and no delay for motor power wimhcih people say happens with speedbox module. Unless discount is large I'd get a VOLspeed.

bemic

Jun 12, 2020
Belgium
Just fitted a VOLspeed 3 and like that I can select speed limit each time its activated, display in mph. Biggest plus was no countdown as required at end of Speedbox ride and no delay for motor power wimhcih people say happens with speedbox module. Unless discount is large I'd get a VOLspeed.
Hello Aerotec,
Have you experience with speed >+32km/h >+20mph for example 24mph
Thanks

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Hello Aerotec,
Have you experience with speed >+32km/h >+20mph for example 24mph
Thanks
Hi there,

I cranked it up to a 28mph limit and did a super fun 15 mile trip cruising along with the traffic. No issues. Battery went from 100% to 40% though ?.

Range displayed seems to be affected. With tuning off on an eco ride it was showing 29 mile range. Activated tuning and range alternated between 29 and 55 miles. Then a bit later with tuning on range alternated between 34 and 55 but when I deactivated tuning it showed a range of 27. So take range as unreliable.

Long term I'll run it with a 19.9mph limit as that's more than enough for me most of the time. But a high speed burn sure is fun!

bemic

Jun 12, 2020
Belgium
Hi there,

I cranked it up to a 28mph limit and did a super fun 15 mile trip cruising along with the traffic. No issues. Battery went from 100% to 40% though ?.

Range displayed seems to be affected. With tuning off on an eco ride it was showing 29 mile range. Activated tuning and range alternated between 29 and 55 miles. Then a bit later with tuning on range alternated between 34 and 55 but when I deactivated tuning it showed a range of 27. So take range as unreliable.

Long term I'll run it with a 19.9mph limit as that's more than enough for me most of the time. But a high speed burn sure is fun!
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the volspeed 3
I also saw that there is compensation for the missing km/mile when we leave the module on at the end of the ride/trip...
Did you observe anything on the screen during this procedure? (like countdown of speedbox 3)

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the volspeed 3
I also saw that there is compensation for the missing km/mile when we leave the module on at the end of the ride/trip...
Did you observe anything on the screen during this procedure? (like countdown of speedbox 3)
No haven't noted anything like that. Maybe it depends on how much time is above 15.5mph? I'll keep a look out but haven't seen any unusual screen behaviours apart from the range value not being accurate and alternating eg 29/55 miles when ibwas on Eco mode.

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
So I have done about 100 miles this week with the module mostly active at 19.9mph and maybe 20 miles of that at 28mph.

Motor responds as soon as I pedal, no delay. Display has no countdown requirement. I do get range alternating between a likely correct value eg 25 miles and a higher value eg. 55 miles but that's OK.

At the end of a ride I deactivate tuning before powering down.

Really enjoyed the tuninh assist as my natural speed is around 18/19mph.

No errors yet... Fingers crossed I don't get any!

bemic

Jun 12, 2020
Belgium
So I have done about 100 miles this week with the module mostly active at 19.9mph and maybe 20 miles of that at 28mph.

Motor responds as soon as I pedal, no delay. Display has no countdown requirement. I do get range alternating between a likely correct value eg 25 miles and a higher value eg. 55 miles but that's OK.

At the end of a ride I deactivate tuning before powering down.

Really enjoyed the tuninh assist as my natural speed is around 18/19mph.

No errors yet... Fingers crossed I don't get any!

Hi,
Regarding the Range:
The value alternates between the range in km remaining (i am in km)​
&​
the second value ;-) is the remaining battery in % of charge​
In my case the remaining autonomy seems correct, maybe the autonomy is your case is not displayed in mph but in km
I once had a 6-digit autonomy error after resetting the counters to zero, to avoid any problem of the kind I activate the chip after driving a little & solve this error
Regarding the compensation:
I correctly set the circumference of the meter by measuring a turn of the wheel sitting on my bike + redo the setup of chip
The distances are identical to gps even when the chip is activated.
Distance compensation is very effective and is done continuously while driving. (No countdown)
I have directly after my trip it's ok, Distance compensation is very effective and is done continuously while driving.

Jfeko

Sep 6, 2020
London
Couple of questions 1 about usage of volspeed and the other about warranty.

I have the basic display (purion I think it's called) how do I set up the restrictions on there? Is there a YouTube vid?

Secondly, I know it voids your warranty but how do they know, how can they tell its ever been fitted?

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
Hi all.

Hi all.

Hi, what did you go with in the end? I fitted a vol speed 3 to my 2021 mondraker e crafty and couldnt get it to work properly. Motor would cut in and out. Sometimes cut out at 12 ish mph and kick in at 17ish. Had to take it off aa riding today and couldnt get it working.. Any update on what you did w

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles