Speedbox 2 Giant Explore E +2 GTS 2020 & 2019 Giant

dee6567

Oct 25, 2020
Uk
Has anyone run into problems activating speedbox 2 on a Giant 2020. Tried for a week trying all different combinations from the instructions and manufacturers and had no joy.
Any help would be well appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

dee6567

Oct 25, 2020
Uk
Hi
I had no joy with mine and the manufacturer said it may be a faulty unit. The site I bought mine from were extremely helpful but eventually gave in and are sending me a volspeed 2. I think personally the last software update that the Giant dealer did changed a couple of functions on my bike.
Now when I press the light switch it only turns on my LCD display light so I have to release it and then hold it down for 5 sec to turn on the front and rear lights and the second change is when I turn the bike on it automatically selects auto mode where before it would stay on the last selection.
I think in this software they might be something written to tackle these devices.
I will update tomorrow hopefully if my Volspeed turns up.

dee6567

Oct 25, 2020
Uk
I am still waiting for the Volspeed 2 to turn up.
Apparently it was sent from Germany and there are delays in delivery.

dee6567

Oct 25, 2020
Uk
Well
Received Volspeed this morning and guess what.
It didn't work so was advised to put bike back together go for a little ride and re-install the unit.
Did this and it still didn't work.
First thing I am going to do is email volspeed with my software info and what was tried and see what they come back with as I can't see both speedbox and Volspeed being faulty.
I can only suggest it may be the latest software installed. Here is a pic of software installed on my bike. I would suggest to not try installing any chip with this software unless proven by somebody unless you have time to waste.
Hope this helps

20201029_103153.jpg

Jeffrey electric

Oct 26, 2020
Point cook
Well
Received Volspeed this morning and guess what.
It didn't work so was advised to put bike back together go for a little ride and re-install the unit.
Did this and it still didn't work.
First thing I am going to do is email volspeed with my software info and what was tried and see what they come back with as I can't see both speedbox and Volspeed being faulty.
I can only suggest it may be the latest software installed. Here is a pic of software installed on my bike. I would suggest to not try installing any chip with this software unless proven by somebody unless you have time to waste.
Hope this helps

View attachment 43316
Thank you for your feedback. I bought a wolf warrior 11 scooter for a blast and it is absolutely awesome!

dee6567

Oct 25, 2020
Uk
This is the reply I got from Volspeed....

Hi, we are not aware of that problem. But it seems that the tuning can't read the button press events of your charge display. Most likely the software version of the motor is not the problem here.. Could you please check if there is a purchase number on the back of your display? I have two charge displays here, but both are not capable of setting the "automatic" mode. Most likely this newer version is the reason for that problem. But I'm wondering why nobody reported this problem until now. I would try to get one of those displays as fast as i can and then would try to update the tuning chip software. Unfortunately, I can't make any promises. Best regards Tobias Lindermayr

Jeffrey electric

Oct 26, 2020
Point cook
This is the reply I got from Volspeed....

Hi, we are not aware of that problem. But it seems that the tuning can't read the button press events of your charge display. Most likely the software version of the motor is not the problem here.. Could you please check if there is a purchase number on the back of your display? I have two charge displays here, but both are not capable of setting the "automatic" mode. Most likely this newer version is the reason for that problem. But I'm wondering why nobody reported this problem until now. I would try to get one of those displays as fast as i can and then would try to update the tuning chip software. Unfortunately, I can't make any promises. Best regards Tobias Lindermayr
This is typical seeing they have your money

dee6567

Oct 25, 2020
Uk
Hi Dee I have come across some new information for your speedbox.
Press walk and then press the up power button straight away let me know how you go cheers Jeff

Jeff

Sorry for late reply that did not work and Volspeed finally found out what the problem was. They asked me to send them a picture of my display details and found out that my display is a version 4. For some reason the version 4 is not responding to the button commands through the volspeed or speedbox. They tried to buy a version 4 to re-write the chip but were unfortunately sent a version 5 which is a later version which worked with the original software. The gladly offered me a refund instantly but I refused it as I had already ordered an upgrade to a Evo display from Germany and told them I would inform them what version I was sent so they would check this against there software to make sure there are no issues before they send it out.
To be fair they have actually been super helpful and understanding.
Will update you when I have installed my new display.

dee6567

Oct 25, 2020
Uk
Jeff

Sorry for late reply that did not work and Volspeed finally found out what the problem was. They asked me to send them a picture of my display details and found out that my display is a version 4. For some reason the version 4 is not responding to the button commands through the volspeed or speedbox. They tried to buy a version 4 to re-write the chip but were unfortunately sent a version 5 which is a later version which worked with the original software. The gladly offered me a refund instantly but I refused it as I had already ordered an upgrade to a Evo display from Germany and told them I would inform them what version I was sent so they would check this against there software to make sure there are no issues before they send it out.
To be fair they have actually been super helpful and understanding.
Will update you when I have installed my new display.
I have finally resolved the issue.
The problem was not the chips it was the Yamaha motor which had a fault in it which was not talking to the display even though the bike was working OK. So a new motor was fitted.
Rode the bike home fitted the Volspeed and now bike is de-restricted.
Had it in for 1 month now with no issues.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles