SpeedBox 2 for 2019 Giant

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
My Trek Powerfly is restricted to 32km/h (20mph) and I wish that it was about 40km/h when I am commuting to the trailhead.

Mick Dryza

Apr 6, 2019
AU
Hi guys, I have one on my 2019 GIANT Fantom and it works great.
Then I swapped it over to my brand new 2019 Trance E+1 PRO and it doesn't work.
The motor shuts off and I get a flashing red LED on the bar mounted controller.
I put it back in the Fantom and it works sweet again...
After a couple of emails to Ebiketuning they couldn't come up with an explanation, however they did offer to replace it if I sent the old one back to them. I can't see how it will make any difference, as there is nothing wrong with it so I'm stuck in limbo and still yet to decide what I'll do next.
Once thing is for certain, the 25KPH limiter on these eBikes sucks big time.

Cooldaddygroove

Jul 11, 2018
Vancouver, BC
On my previous eMTB I installed the Speedbox for Bosch and it was terrific. Here in Canada we have a higher speed governor limit than other countries (20mph/32kmh) than the 15mph your have. I can't imagine riding anything with a 15mph limit to be honest.

I found myself hitting "The Wall" often, especially when traveling on the flats between trails and it bothered me enough to buy the Speedbox. I looked at all the various devices and chose Speedbox as it looked well made (which it is), was simple plug and play, and it didn't screw with what was displayed on my computer.

That being said, I sold the bike and bought another as I progressed my riding and am now limited to 20mph/32kmh again. I have no plans to de-limit my current bike mostly because I ride almost exclusively with other eMTB'ers and there is no benefit it travelling faster than them on the flats.

If most of my riding was on my own, I might consider doing it again

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
After a couple of emails to Ebiketuning they couldn't come up with an explanation, however they did offer to replace it if I sent the old one back to them. I can't see how it will make any difference, as there is nothing wrong with it so I'm stuck in limbo and still yet to decide what I'll do next.
I wonder if it's the difference between the Yamaha Sport motor/controller, compared to Pro? Or did your Fathom have a Pro motor/controller?
Mine's the Sport model

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
A different solution here in this video and I have not tried this myself but see if this may help for your 2019.
I did this on my E +2 Pro and it certainly works. All you need is a security torx bit and a magnet. I simply stuck the magnet to the crank and moved the sensor forward and to the underside of the swingarm. I didn't even have to cut the wire tie. I was able to pedal to 25 mph. You run out of gearing with the stock chain ring though so you are pedaling your ass off to maintain the 25 mph. Also, the way the Yamaha motor produces most of it's assistance at a lower cadence, power is reduced as you hit higher cadence and speed. So even though the motor doesn't cut out, power is reduced enough that I really did not feel the increased speed versus increased battery use was worth it. For my use on the trail, I am good with the 20mph limit so I will undo it but if I was using the bike for transportation it is a cheap way to increase speed.

20190416_222412.jpg

20190416_222434.jpg

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
I did this on my E +2 Pro and it certainly works. All you need is a security torx bit and a magnet. I simply stuck the magnet to the crank and moved the sensor forward and to the underside of the swingarm. I didn't even have to cut the wire tie. I was able to pedal to 25 mph. You run out of gearing with the stock chain ring though so you are pedaling your ass off to maintain the 25 mph. Also, the way the Yamaha motor produces most of it's assistance at a lower cadence, power is reduced as you hit higher cadence and speed. So even though the motor doesn't cut out, power is reduced enough that I really did not feel the increased speed versus increased battery use was worth it. For my use on the trail, I am good with the 20mph limit so I will undo it but if I was using the bike for transportation it is a cheap way to increase speed.

View attachment 13019

View attachment 13020
Had the exact same thoughts when I tried it, Yamaha motor is like a diesel with no top end.....once past the 32km limit even with assistance it felt like torque dropped off.
Mate has a Scott with a box and its very different in that it keeps making power the harder you pedal.

Pommylumpmmylump

Apr 16, 2019
Perth
I did the free hack as well, got a magnet of eBay that sticks to pedal axle, then just stuck the sensor to outside of swing arm with duct tape. Not pretty but can sit on 40kmh on bitumen. Legs are spinning good style though :)

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Cube Deristricted
Try looking at this thread I posted a while back, think you should find it interesting, hope it helps stringbean

I know it's not the same bike but it might help you make a decision
Just for the record I think there fantastic ?

Jeffrey electric

Oct 26, 2020
Point cook
Hi pal I have the same problem

Struthbooth

Nov 20, 2019
Perth Western Australia
Hi pal what method do you use to activate the speedbox

To activate it, I press the 'Walk Mode' button and then while its doing the flash thing I press 'Up or Down' assist button (either one).

That sequence turns it on. I think if you do it again it turns it off again as well. The only way I can tell its on, is by riding the bike and it keeps assisting past the usual brick wall that hits at 25kmhr or what ever the Aus limit is. It's funny as I don't actually remember what the Aus limit is as I have had the Speedbox 2 in the bike the first week I got it.

It's so much better to ride when riding urban, or on the street etc. Off road on the trails I dont use it as much. But its night and day on the road and makes riding way more fun. I would highly recommend it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles