Speed sensor to motor..wire doesn't lock in

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
2018 commencal meta power with Shimano e8000 motor. Speed sensor stopped sending speed. Went to trouble shoot and wire to motor won't definatively snap in and make an electric connection upon replacement. Used needle nose to ovalize the plug and teflon tape around plug to keep it in place. Otherwise will pop out. Finally got it reading speed on spinning wheel. Going for a big ride today and not sure this fix will work. Commencal of course never heard of plug problems and yes my 2 yr warranty was up in April. Otherwise love the motor. Anyone have problems with the e8000 connections not holding...seems like a terrible way to design an electrical connection. Is the part where the wires from the display and the speed sensor attaches to the motor something that can be obtained available a d how hard is it to change out.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Went over other posts and I opened cover and pushed harder and finally felt the snap in. I think the teflon tape on the outside of the plug is going to keep dust out.
Great to solve this . Hope others in need read this post.

sam-widgers

Jan 12, 2021
west yorkshire
I've just stumbled across this thread after posting a similar question earlier this morning. I might try giving the plug a squeeze to ovalize it as no matter how hard I push I can't get it to snap in, at least I know it's not just me;)

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Careful squeezing it. Hit the area with compressed air. I think I put a loop of teflon tape( to seal water connections around the outside of the plug... Suddenly it snapped in.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
If you have a good camera snap some close-ups of the connector and the sensor end. Are you using a new sensor ? I would speak with you directly but I won't post my tele number. You can find me on pickbike as cyclopath 1000. Find one of my buy sells such as the 27.5 lyrik on buy sell and if in usa give me your email or tele and after the innagurayion I'm going for a short ride but can talk later this afternoon it's 9am pacific standard time.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Ahh.. so think about a replacement. There are 3 different lengths. There is a uk shop I bought the correct size ( commencal 540mm length). Most sites seem to only list the 1400 mm length. In fact I have shortened the two 1400 s I bought before I snagged a 540mm. I actually shortened them , silver solder , staggered so that no cross voltage leakage is possible and then shrink wrapped.

I also remember that the direction of applied force must be near perfect along the long axis of the plug. I think for the longest time I was a tiny bit out of plane. Can't remember if I used the official Shimano pusher or the tiny needle nose pliers that I use to place circlips on small pistons(I have a bunch of souped up mopeds)

If I was going to say which of the above got it to snap on I might say pushing in the perfect direction.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles