Speed sceptic

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hi, i am in Canada where the legal assist top speed is 32km/h.
In europe with a lower legal assist support is the majority
of riders respecting the law?
It seems quite expensive when we look at Trek, Specialized . . .
for a small advantage.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think he meant to type "sceptic" !!
I understand some people getting frustrated with the motor cut off speed if they do a lot of flat singletrack, roadwork, commuting, fireroad type riding. Personally I rarely find it an issue riding in the forest. I have no idea what proportion of users hack their motors but I suspect in the UK it is only a minority and most of those would be content with an increase of the EU imposed max of 25kph to the same as applies in the US and elsewhere.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Since there is no difference other than the software between bikes limited to either 25kph or 32kph there should at least be no negative effect on the bike................other than to make it illegal ( in the UK)!!

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Since there is no difference other than the software between bikes limited to either 25kph or 32kph there should at least be no negative effect on the bike................other than to make it illegal ( in the UK)!!
We know the bike as the potential, one question is will your warranty be void?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I got this;
Lord tundren jehes I know what you mean dare eh. Ya can’t wear a frozen muckluc when yor toque is under a canoe. Best way I can say this eh. Yor welcome, and I am sorry aboot dat eh. ?
Or, I believe it will void the warranty.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.

It depends on the bike manufacturer.

For manufacturers with standardised [mostly] global warranties such as Specialized/Brose - if you change the 'destination market' to say Canada and thus increase the speed before the cut-off happens - no it won't void the warranty, Shimano is basically the same. Bosch on the other hand is not - they impose country specific warranty clauses so its really down to which country you're in to whether it voids the motor warranty or not.

-- BUT.... for certain manufacturers, the end user can't change that setting so its mostly hypothetical - it can only be done through an approved service centre (not a LBS); so chances are if you want to do it you'll need to fit a derestriction device.

If you fit a derestriction device, it will void the warranty regardless of location.

Msawyer110

Mar 30, 2021
Wylie,Tx
Hi, i am in Canada where the legal assist top speed is 32km/h.
In europe with a lower legal assist support is the majority
of riders respecting the law?
It seems quite expensive when we look at Trek, Specialized . . .
for a small advantage.

22mph regular cadence. 29mph top speed. And yes it is more fun.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I think he meant to type "sceptic" !!
I understand some people getting frustrated with the motor cut off speed if they do a lot of flat singletrack, roadwork, commuting, fireroad type riding. Personally I rarely find it an issue riding in the forest. I have no idea what proportion of users hack their motors but I suspect in the UK it is only a minority and most of those would be content with an increase of the EU imposed max of 25kph to the same as applies in the US and elsewhere.
From what I see in the UK derestriction is the norm, lose count of the amount of eebs I see blasting along fireroads, riders still claiming they're getting a workout dressed in long trews jackets and full faces without even getting a sweat on!

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Not me! Restriction still on, sweat like a pig! Lost nearly 20lbs since getting the eeb, getting much fitter. Used to race on MTB 30 years ago so still have some skills...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles