Speed limit petition

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
Speed limit petition - I see there has been others...

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Are they all the same in the UK? In Germany there's the Pedelecs, which are limited to 15 km/h and S-Pedalecs, which can go up to 45 km/h, but need a license plate, driving licence, can't use bike lanes, etc.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
This has been raised before, l agree that the 15.5mph limit is just a bit too slow for an ebike and those few extra mph make all the difference particularly on the road.

However l very much doubt that any petition raised will make any difference, it's only in the USA that 20mph pedelecs are allowed and everywhere else is 15.5mph

Most ebikes can be derestricted to 20mph if you want the extra speed, and while it's illegal there's pretty much zero chance of ever being caught.

Round here there are increasing numbers of e-scooters and these are illegal everywhere except private land, but l've never heard of anybody getting done, except for the odd one in London before they legalised e-scooters (although limited to scooter hire versions)

However in France they've really clamped down on it with a ridiculous 30,000 Euro fine or jail term if convicted riding a derestricted ebike.

l have to say that l tried my friend's which has been set to the USA limit, and being able to do an assisted 16-18mph makes all the difference and transforms an ebike for general road and trail use.
lt's not so much of a difference off road where you are generally either climbing at less than that speed, or descending with the assist turned off.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
However in France they've really clamped down on it with a ridiculous 30,000 Euro fine or jail term if convicted.
And the same for whomever de-restricted it for you or sold you something to de-restrict it with.

It's ok though, we've had a curfew all winter/spring and we're on full lockdown, so you can't go out and ride far anyway (10kms) .. But if you did and went and coughed your covid all over everyone when you're not supposed to - that's €135 fine.

So someone's worked out that pedalling uphill at 26kph (assisted) is 222 times more likely to cause death than spreading a covid.

With 102,000 Covid deaths, that means that in the same time period more than 22.5 Million French people must have died from de-restricted e-bike related incidents.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Nah. Keep it at 15.5mph, where do i sign to say that?
The only way this will work is if one of you who will sign the petition, doesn't. Could one of you, instead of signing, just post here "Offset SquireRides objection", please?

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Don’t know why you want to change things.If you need to go uphill at more than 15 mph ,go get a proper motorcycle,and if you can‘t pedal faster than 15 mph downhill with your motor switched off you need to get bigger balls,simples.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
The issue l find is neither of those things, it's riding on the road where l keep hitting the 15mph assist limit.
Ebikes are hard work when the assistance cuts out, it's OK on the flat but any gradient it feels like the brakes are stuck on.

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
The issue l find is neither of those things, it's riding on the road where l keep hitting the 15mph assist limit.
Ebikes are hard work when the assistance cuts out, it's OK on the flat but any gradient it feels like the brakes are stuck on.
I grant you that could be an issue.The problem (in my opinion )is this.I ride ebikes and normal bikes,at the moment there is an increasing number of ebikes on the trails,and jolly good it is too,and if we all stick to the 15.5 limit ,no one feels rushed when a bunch of electrics come up from behind,as we are all doing roughly the same speed.
So now we have fans of derestriction,well I guarantee you if a bunch of derestricted e bikes come up behind me and my mates doing 15.5 there is no way I am stopping on singletrack to let them by,they can wait.
As for legislation ,when enough unrestricted bikes start appearing on the roads trails , local woods you had better believe it won’t be long till there are complaints,then local council byelaws,then central government regulations.Then segregation into ebike only centres and normal bike only centres.
Just be careful what you wish for,there are already a number of cases where illegal e bikes have been involved in incidents and prosecution due to riding what is in effect an electric motorcycle ,no license,no tax no insurance,good luck keeping your newly acquired driving license when the clamp down starts.You got to think ahead boys.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
There's no chance of the limit being raised from 15.5mph anyway.
A similar petition some time ago raised over 100,000 signatures and parliament decided not to even discuss it.

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
How is the 20mph limit working out in the USA?
I think the limit in the US is a red herring.They have a massive land mass,thousands of square miles with no obvious access issues for off road recreation.I spoke to a couple of mountain bikers whilst in the states ( some years ago,to be fair) but the trails they regularly rode were actively policed by national park rangers for bikes exceeding the trail limits,with speed guns,and this was for all bikes ,not just e bikes.So whilst I have no issues with 20mph on the road,I just don’t think it translates well on british off road with our somewhat smaller land mass.

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Actually, unrestricted e-bikes in France aren't illegal. They become motorbikes and the rider must wear a helmet, have insurance, and not ride on bike tracks. The fine is really for riding a motorbike uninsured.
Personally I find 25 kph perfectly reasonable. Remember, on public roads and bike tracks we are mixing with pedestrians, children, normal bikes, possibly horses. I can ride just as fast on my road bike on the flat, but if I do hit someone with it I will probably do less damage to them, it's a lot lighter. The faster one goes, the more injury one can do for a given weight. Or the same speed and more weight, of course.
If you are in that much of a hurry get a motorbike, and everything that goes with it, including the driving lessons.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
Actually, unrestricted e-bikes in France aren't illegal.

Are you sure about that? It is not what I have read.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
I think she means arent illegal because once they become "motorbikes" they become legal because the Rider wears a helmet and gets insurance etc, so once that has been done it becomes "legal"

It will not be a type approved vehicle, so it cannot be "legal".

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
However l very much doubt that any petition raised will make any difference, it's only in the USA that 20mph pedelecs are allowed and everywhere else is 15.5mph
NZ bikes are North American models too. We have 32 and 45km/h bikes here with no restrictions for trail access or cycle lanes. Works well, although there will always be people who make the decision to take a motorcycle somewhere they should not. 32km/h is a good speed for cut-off in my experience, it makes the e-bike a more useful machine. I replaced our second car with my Rocky and now have a machine that is as capable in city traffic as it is descending a nationals track.
NB: my speed in city traffic in a 50km/h zone is around 20-25km/h. If the bike was to cut-out at 25, it would be shite tbh.

Last edited:

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
I had to purchase a new E8000 motor for my Ebike. The motor came from Sweden, so the top assist speed was 15.5 mph. Thankfully Shimano was able to change the top assist speed to 20 mph.

I personally don’t think having a top assist limit of 20 mph, is going cause more user conflicts than the Euro limit of 15.5 mph. So far after riding over 9,000 miles, I haven’t experienced any negative consequences. I find it really helps riding on the road back to my house and casing my friends who are riding regular bikes way out front of me.

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Sorry I wasn't saying that you can derestrict your bike yourself. Just saying that faster bikes are allowed, but not under the same rules. Yes, they do have to be type approved. No, you can't ride then on bike paths.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles