Spectral ON - size XS

Maxdown

May 10, 2019
Huddersfield
Due to my limited height (5'6") and short ass legs (28") the sizing calaculator on the Canyon site and rep I spoke to both reccomend size XS for the Spectral:ON.

This is the only model that doesn't come with the 29er front wheel and instead has 27.5 x 2.5 front and rear. I'm guessing because of the frame size (and rider size) a 29er is too big at the front and not as nimble, has anyone got experience of this setup and sizing? Does going back to both 27.5s reduce the ability of this bike whihc it is founded on?

I have this query in general as the 29ers feel large for me however I haven't actually been out for a proper ride one to gauge but intend to demo some before buying anything however had my eye on the spectral as it looks so darn good.

haendiemaen

Mar 10, 2019
Germany
My wife owns the Spectral:On WMN 6.0 in size XS and she ist 1.60m (about 5'25''). For her it is the perfect size and the seatpost is in the lowest position. I am 1.80m (abaou 5'84'') and size M is on my Spectral:On 8.0 is perfect for me. Maybe you can also try size S.

We are using our bikes on the same trails and there is no difference that one of us cannot do anything. The problem is always the driver - not the bike ... :)

Maxdown

May 10, 2019
Huddersfield
Thanks. I think the issue for me is I'm close to that boundary of XS or S, however with the S is the 29er wheels, increased reach and standover. Its not that easy to check as I there isnt another Canyon demo day until July and its miles away or will have to order online, test and return if not correct.....

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I have 1,78 and bought a spectralON 2018 on size L. After two weeks of riding the bike I found its OK for my height, the seatpost is almost all the way into the frame though.
So, as I'm shorter than Maxdown and ride a bigger frame I think you could go with a S instead of XS without fitting problems.

SteveSSS

Aug 14, 2019
Lancaster, UK
Due to my limited height (5'6") and short ass legs (28") the sizing calaculator on the Canyon site and rep I spoke to both reccomend size XS for the Spectral:ON.

This is the only model that doesn't come with the 29er front wheel and instead has 27.5 x 2.5 front and rear. I'm guessing because of the frame size (and rider size) a 29er is too big at the front and not as nimble, has anyone got experience of this setup and sizing? Does going back to both 27.5s reduce the ability of this bike whihc it is founded on?

I have this query in general as the 29ers feel large for me however I haven't actually been out for a proper ride one to gauge but intend to demo some before buying anything however had my eye on the spectral as it looks so darn good.
Hi, I'm same height and inseam as yourself, can I ask which size you went for as I'd prefer the small if possible. What did you go for any regrets?

Maxdown

May 10, 2019
Huddersfield
Yes mate I did go for XS and it’s awesome as a bike all round. In terms of height clearance I am only just above the top bar when stood on the ground which is fine as rarely do that. For pedalling I can have the seat post slightly raised and get good power and comfort. I reckon I could manage a S but it wouldn’t have been as good. I found the reach quite short at first and more upright than on my previous bike but after doing several long rides it hasn’t been an issue comfort or control wise. Also the bars are not as wide which for me is perfect, I found many to be too wide and a bit of a stretch over long rides.

The positive is the weight is less and I can throw it round more and actually lift this over styles and gates etc which is always helpful especially with them analogue boys.

I suppose the slight downside is it has 27.5 x 2.5 tyres front and back as opposed to 29 x 2.6 and 27.5 x 2.8 on the other models. For me the 29ers feel too big on the front so it suits and the tyres are more than enough for any terrain I’ve been on as yet.

TimVW

Jul 11, 2019
Warwickshire
Hi, I'm same height and inseam as yourself, can I ask which size you went for as I'd prefer the small if possible. What did you go for any regrets?

@SteveSSS - I am 5’ 4” tall but with a 29” inseam and I went with a size S, despite the Canyon website suggesting size XS, as I wanted the 29” front wheel and slightly longer reach.

Like @Maxdown, I just clear the top tube with feet flat on the floor and I too can have the saddle up slightly for peddling if necessary. For me, i still find the reach on the S quite short compared to my Trek Cobia analogue, but I don’t have a FS analogue MTB, so that may be the difference.

Like @Maxdown thinks, I think that you too would probably be fine with an S as long as you are not concerned about standover height and it would provide slightly more reach plus the 29” front wheel (if that’s what you are looking for). HTH.

SteveSSS

Aug 14, 2019
Lancaster, UK
Yes mate I did go for XS and it’s awesome as a bike all round. In terms of height clearance I am only just above the top bar when stood on the ground which is fine as rarely do that. For pedalling I can have the seat post slightly raised and get good power and comfort. I reckon I could manage a S but it wouldn’t have been as good. I found the reach quite short at first and more upright than on my previous bike but after doing several long rides it hasn’t been an issue comfort or control wise. Also the bars are not as wide which for me is perfect, I found many to be too wide and a bit of a stretch over long rides.

The positive is the weight is less and I can throw it round more and actually lift this over styles and gates etc which is always helpful especially with them analogue boys.

I suppose the slight downside is it has 27.5 x 2.5 tyres front and back as opposed to 29 x 2.6 and 27.5 x 2.8 on the other models. For me the 29ers feel too big on the front so it suits and the tyres are more than enough for any terrain I’ve been on as yet.
Thanks, that's great. Looks like xs for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles