Spectral On Battery Health

Grilito

Dec 19, 2019
Figueira da Foz
Hi there.
friends how are we of values for the health of the battery? Shimano says that after 1000 cycles there is still 60% of the battery's health left. Now I leave the specs of my bike, I've used 32 cycles and I'm in 85% of the battery's health, let's see how this value progresses from now on.
Screenshot_20200218-174409__01__01.jpg

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
I’d be a bit concerned there fella. I mean I have 106 cycles with 98% health according to blevo. MC says 100%, but then it would.

Grilito

Dec 19, 2019
Figueira da Foz
I’d be a bit concerned there fella. I mean I have 106 cycles with 98% health according to blevo. MC says 100%, but then it would.

well, let's wait for the Shimano engines to respond, I also don't know how credible this app's value is, but that's why I opened this post to get a vague idea.

nosenada

Nov 26, 2019
California
Curious as to what charger you have? Do you have the slow charger (ec-e6002) or the fast charger (ec-e6000)?

My battery health was at 87% after only 23 cycles and I am suspecting a defective slow charger.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I'd say those numbers aren't right.

I don't have his numbers but I have a mate who wasn't happy and was given a new battery.

Grilito

Dec 19, 2019
Figueira da Foz
Curious as to what charger you have? Do you have the slow charger (ec-e6002) or the fast charger (ec-e6000)?

My battery health was at 87% after only 23 cycles and I am suspecting a defective slow charger.

I have the ec-e6002 charger. Ok so my Numbers are fine comparing with tours.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
These battery health numbers are worthless unless you know how they are calculated. If you are concerned and/or the real world performance of your pack is substantially down in where it was during your first rides then take it back and have them run the full diagnostic on the battery, but there is no value in obsessing over these numbers when we know they often go up and down after charge cycles in a somewhat random way.

nosenada

Nov 26, 2019
California
32 cycles and 85% battery health would not be acceptable to me.

My second battery hit 90% health at only about 10 charges. My first battery was also at 90% health at 10 charges.

I am looking to warranty both my batteries, and tried once but was sent away to show more degradation in battery health. I think the cause of the degradation is my ec-e6002 charger the same one you have.

My slow charger (ec-e6002) is charging at a rate of over 14% per hour from 80-100% (504wh battery) which is way faster than the published specs and is even faster than my fast charger (ec-e6000) charges between 80-100%.

I primarily use my slow charges unless I am on an all day ride so almost all the cycles are from the suspected defective charger.

You may want to check your charger if you have a plug in timer to see how fast it is charging above 80%. My understanding is it should be 6% per hour for a 504wh battery.

Oh and these battery health numbers using stunlocker are the same as I got when I hooked my bike up to the official diagnostics device as I also own the pce02.

At least in my case I am pretty sure a defective shimano charger is slowly killing my batteries by charging them too fast between 80-100% and the same may be true for you.

Grilito

Dec 19, 2019
Figueira da Foz

My second battery hit 90% health at only about 10 charges. My first battery was also at 90% health at 10 charges.

I am looking to warranty both my batteries, and tried once but was sent away to show more degradation in battery health. I think the cause of the degradation is my ec-e6002 charger the same one you have.

My slow charger (ec-e6002) is charging at a rate of over 14% per hour from 80-100% (504wh battery) which is way faster than the published specs and is even faster than my fast charger (ec-e6000) charges between 80-100%.

I primarily use my slow charges unless I am on an all day ride so almost all the cycles are from the suspected defective charger.

You may want to check your charger if you have a plug in timer to see how fast it is charging above 80%. My understanding is it should be 6% per hour for a 504wh battery.

Oh and these battery health numbers using stunlocker are the same as I got when I hooked my bike up to the official diagnostics device as I also own the pce02.

At least in my case I am pretty sure a defective shimano charger is slowly killing my batteries by charging them too fast between 80-100% and the same may be true for you.
The warranty is two years, af
These battery health numbers are worthless unless you know how they are calculated. If you are concerned and/or the real world performance of your pack is substantially down in where it was during your first rides then take it back and have them run the full diagnostic on the battery, but there is no value in obsessing over these numbers when we know they often go up and down after charge cycles in a somewhat random way.
until I see, I don't notice any differences in autonomy in relation to the first laps I took, let's walk and see how the numbers will be in a while

Grilito

Dec 19, 2019
Figueira da Foz

and u already contact canyon bikes or shimano on this issue of battery health?

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
This is intriguing to me: if the batt can only be charged 1000 times, if I recharge before its totally empty I will be losing on the full life range of the batterie?
I mean if you can get 40 km out of a full charge, but you ride 20 and charge it again and ride another 20 and charge, you lost 2 charges and rode 40 when you could have ridden 80.
At the end of the 1000 cycles life of the batterie this could mean a very significant loss.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
This is intriguing to me: if the batt can only be charged 1000 times, if I recharge before its totally empty I will be losing on the full life range of the batterie?
I mean if you can get 40 km out of a full charge, but you ride 20 and charge it again and ride another 20 and charge, you lost 2 charges and rode 40 when you could have ridden 80.
At the end of the 1000 cycles life of the batterie this could mean a very significant loss.
Thats not how its calculated, a full charge is when your battery have been charged form 0 to 100%. 5 rides of 20% charging counts as 1 full charge.

Karsten

Grilito

Dec 19, 2019
Figueira da Foz
Thats not how its calculated, a full charge is when your battery have been charged form 0 to 100%. 5 rides of 20% charging counts as 1 full charge.

Karsten
on the shimano website it says 1000 cycles = 60% of battery life, before the two-year warranty is over, try to understand how the values are and approach the canyon or shimano if the values are far from the numbers they present

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
on the shimano website it says 1000 cycles = 60% of battery life, before the two-year warranty is over, try to understand how the values are and approach the canyon or Shimano if the values are far from the numbers they present
That is also a common statement among battery producers, after 1000 charge cycles your battery will have 60 % of original capacity - Its normal that batteries degrade over time, all batteries does that.

Karsten

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
That is also a common statement among battery producers, after 1000 charge cycles your battery will have 60 % of original capacity - Its normal that batteries degrade over time, all batteries does that.

Karsten
The problem is that actual degradation over time will vary hugely depending on how the pack is treated. Storage temp, storage voltage, length of time stored at elevated SOC, number of charge cycles, charge rate, discharge rate (i.e. short turbo assisted rides vs longer epics at lower assistance levels)… all have an effect. These factors combined with a dose of randomness (I have been playing with Li packs a long time now and you will always get some that are better or worse than others out of the box) mean it's very hard for manufacturers to set hard and fast expectations on cycle life and long term performance.

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I'm in a similar situation, but not quite as extreme. I'm at 93% after 48 cycles. The reason it matters to me is that I'll be doing some eMTB racing this year and that 7% makes a huge difference, since pretty much everyone brings them across the line empty.

aajiikoo

Jan 29, 2020
Finland
I was at 90% after 10 cycles and 1 month of use and 87% after 20 cycles and 2 months of use. I received a new battery from Shimano importer after I contacted them. I thought it was unacceptable that the capacity had dropped so much in such a short period of time and the importer agreed.

Grilito

Dec 19, 2019
Figueira da Foz
I was at 90% after 10 cycles and 1 month of use and 87% after 20 cycles and 2 months of use. I received a new battery from Shimano importer after I contacted them. I thought it was unacceptable that the capacity had dropped so much in such a short period of time and the importer agreed.
I contact Canyon service or talk direct to Shimano importer?

aajiikoo

Jan 29, 2020
Finland
I contact Canyon service or talk direct to Shimano importer?
Well, at first I talked directly to Shimano importer and when they agreed that I need a new battery, they advised me to contact the local Shimano dealer next so that they can order a new battery from the importer. But my bike wasn't Canyon so I can't comment if it's better to contact Canyon service first.

Grilito

Dec 19, 2019
Figueira da Foz
Well, at first I talked directly to Shimano importer and when they agreed that I need a new battery, they advised me to contact the local Shimano dealer next so that they can order a new battery from the importer. But my bike wasn't Canyon so I can't comment if it's better to contact Canyon service first.
Ok, so with new Battery what is your Numbers for Battery Health?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles