Specialized turbo connect display unit

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
Are the turbo connect units any good? I understand that there is a mark 2 version out now but my LBS still think they aren't much good. Has anyone got one? What are your thoughts please?

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
I have one and it works well to display basic ebike info. My LBS had it for $80 US. The distance did not display correctly until I had the bike's firmware upgraded (2019 Levo Comp). There are 5 customizable display windows, but I only use the first one.

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
ANY smartphone, an old one or a cheap one will do - better. Also the better garmin devices can also do most of what the connect units do.
Yes, but phones aren't going to display ebike info are they ?
I agree regarding the gamins, I have an edge 520 and it is a much better display than the TCU.

Chardy82

Feb 25, 2019
Southampton
I have heard a lot about this BLevo. I have just purchased a 2019 Levo expert. Could anyone give more information on BLevo and effects on the bike? Thank you.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yes, but phones aren't going to display ebike info are they ?
I agree regarding the gamins, I have an edge 520 and it is a much better display than the TCU.
You don't even need BLevo if you don't want it - remember any smartphone will run the free Specialized Mission Control app which will give you all the data too (though without some of the advanced functionality BLevo has).

jeffintheusa

Dec 12, 2018
MA - North Shore
Are the turbo connect units any good? I understand that there is a mark 2 version out now but my LBS still think they aren't much good. Has anyone got one? What are your thoughts please?
I purchased the TCD (Turbo Connect Display). No idea of it is mark 1 or 2, but I suspect 2 since it's the same as what is on the Specialized website. Having now used it I would NOT recommend it to others unless you simply want real-time information display on the cockpit. You really need a proper bike computer if you want to track and upload your rides to Strava, or use your phone with Strava/Mission Control. The TCD is just for displaying rider/bike information. I paired it with my heart rate monitor only to find it does NOT record that HRM data for the ride, it just displays it. My incorrect assumption was that the TCD is sync'd with the ride that is started with Mission Control. It isn't. The ride time and ride distance are NOT reset when you start a new ride using Mission Control, instead you have to manually reset the ride time and distance by holding down the two buttons for a couple of seconds. If these two features (record HRM data and sync ride start with Mission Control) were added I wouldn't have needed a separate bike computer.

My current setup is the TCD and a second bike computer. TCD displays bike speed, battery % remaining and rider output (Watts). My second bike computer displays heart rate, ride time and ride distance.

Last edited:

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
I purchased the TCD (Turbo Connect Display). No idea of it is mark 1 or 2, but I suspect 2 since it's the same as what is on the Specialized website. Having now used it I would NOT recommend it to others unless you simply want real-time information display on the cockpit. You really need a proper bike computer if you want to track and upload your rides to Strava, or use your phone with Strava/Mission Control. The TCD is just for displaying rider/bike information. I paired it with my heart rate monitor only to find it does NOT record that HRM data for the ride, it just displays it. My incorrect assumption was that the TCD is sync'd with the ride that is started with Mission Control. It isn't. The ride time and ride distance are NOT reset when you start a new ride using Mission Control, instead you have to manually reset the ride time and distance bt holding down the two buttons for a couple of seconds. If these two features (record HRM data and sync ride start with Mission Control) were added I wouldn't have needed a separate bike computer.

My current setup is the TCD and a second bike computer. TCD displays bike speed, battery % remaining and rider output (Watts). My second bike computer displays heart rate, ride time and ride distance.
Thank you! I was considering one and glad did not get

RipTide

Sep 2, 2019
California
I am looking for a computer, leaning toward the Garmin 530. Just doing more research to determine if it is the right fit for me. What display are you using if you only had one? (Sorry to hear about using the TCD and another device.)

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I am looking for a computer, leaning toward the Garmin 530. Just doing more research to determine if it is the right fit for me. What display are you using if you only had one? (Sorry to hear about using the TCD and another device.)

Have you thought about using BLEvo? It has all features you can imagine and can do much more then a Garmin or TCD. If you like to know more about this just leave a message in the BLEvo thread.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I use a Garmin 1030, brilliant tool and way smaller than a phone on the handlebar. The way I sometimes crash, a phone would not last long......

image.jpg

Karsten

RipTide

Sep 2, 2019
California
Have you thought about using BLEvo? It has all features you can imagine and can do much more then a Garmin or TCD. If you like to know more about this just leave a message in the BLEvo thread.
I will look at the Blevo app too. It sounds like a good app. I am concerned about relying on any iPhone mount. As I prefer to keep my phone either in my hydration pack or pocket for safety.

RipTide

Sep 2, 2019
California
So, I decided to get the Turbo Connect Display (TCD). I just wanted real-time info as I ride. And:
1) Uses sensors already on the Turbo Levo (I like that there will not be extra parts to worry about being shaken off as I bounce over the trail.)
2) Cadence is coming directly from the onboard sensors, reports quickly on the display.
3) I'm a newbie, so as of now, I am not looking to post to Strava.
4) I have not found good examples of using the Trail maps (Garmin 530) while riding. Did find a couple examples of the 530 telling the rider to do a U-turn (might be that the 830 with the ability to recalculate a route might be better.) Seems like for street riding the 530 works well.
5) I wanted something to track miles from my first mile.
So I then was comparing the list prices of $80 for TCD to $470 for the 830 Mountain Bike Bundle.
Who knows, I might look another solution in the future. But for now, I am looking forward to miles of rides.
Yes - I do find the lack of a simple reset timer/distance to be an annoyance. But I will keep looking for a simple method to reset. If you know of one, please let me know.

Oh yeah, I sure all of your already knew that Mission Control tracked the ride, but I did not know that - see I really am a newbie. I will have to learn how to read the Mission Control App.

This is all very new to me, as I used to just worry if I had my filled my water bottle. Now I have to turn on the Turbo Levo, start the Mission Control app, start the ride on the app, put my phone in my pocket, make sure the Turbo Connect Display is on screen #1, and that I have a full water bottle. Oh yeah, and I also have ANGi on my helmet...Hmmm need to see if that has an app to, that I will need to start when I ride... :)

Last edited:

JasonNZ

Sep 6, 2019
New Zealand
I have a TCD and I think it's great for what I need it for. As my Levo is an '18 model it shows me my exact battery percentage (without looking at led bars which could actually be at the start or end of each 10% increment), power mode (Eco / Trail / Boost), speed and distance - all at a glance. Much better than having my iPhone on the bars like I used too (it's now still with me but safe in my camelback instead). Works for me, but I don't need all the other fancy stuff some may want.....

Having said that, I still thought it was expensive for what it is - but what'ya do.....

Last edited:

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
So, I decided to get the Turbo Connect Display (TCD). I just wanted real-time info as I ride. And:
1) Uses sensors already on the Turbo Levo (I like that there will not be extra parts to worry about being shaken off as I bounce over the trail.)
2) Cadence is coming directly from the onboard sensors, reports quickly on the display.
4) I have not found good examples of using the Trail maps (Garmin 530) while riding. Did find a couple examples of the 530 telling the rider to do a U-turn (might be that the 830 with the ability to recalculate a route might be better.) Seems like for street riding the 530 works well.
So I then was comparing the list prices of $80 for TCD to $470 for the 830 Mountain Bike Bundle.
Who knows, I might look another solution in the future. But for now, I am looking forward to miles of rides.
Yes - I do find the lack of a simple reset timer/distance to be an annoyance. But I will keep looking for a simple method to reset. If you know of one, please let me know.

Oh yeah, I sure all of your already knew that Mission Control tracked the ride, but I did not know that - see I really am a newbie. I will have to learn how to read the Mission Control App.

This is all very new to me, as I used to just worry if I had my filled my water bottle. Now I have to turn on the Turbo Levo, start the Mission Control app, start the ride on the app, put my phone in my pocket, make sure the Turbo Connect Display is on screen #1, and that I have a full water bottle. Oh yeah, and I also have ANGi on my helmet...Hmmm need to see if that has an app to, that I will need to start when I ride... :)
I run a Garmin 820, and have been through all their versions just about for the last 15 years, turn off any routing calculation for off road riding as its all useless TBH. I used the navigation on a recent road section due to a road closure and that worked fine but as I say for off road it simply does not have enough inbuilt mapping info to route tracks etc.
I have the BLevo app but don't use as I prefer the Garmin and don't want a phone strapped to the bike, otherwise I get phone calls and bloody text messages which are the last thing I want when riding.
Just my opinion.

Jirka_S

Sep 8, 2019
Czech
You should know the TCD is not synchronised with Mission Control. No matter. I'm satisfied using that because I like to be simply informed about actual speed, time or distance. Not always I have my mobile at hand.

Last edited:

RipTide

Sep 2, 2019
California
TCD owners, I need a little help. I have read the manual in all its glory, but did not see how to reset for a new ride. My distance and odometer are the giving me the same info. And timer, well. I know what my accumulated ride time is, not really what I want. As I ride more, I can see the importance of knowing how far I have ridden on this ride.

So - If someone know the secret steps to "reset the distance and timer to zero, while keeping the total in the odometer, "I would appreciate it.

I have tried: Holding both buttons - puts you in configure the page. Holding left button - put me in setup mode for time: 12/24, set time, pair to bike, etc. Holding right button - nothing.

Gabypb

Nov 8, 2019
Ecuador

Hi! ?

I also bought the TCD and started using it a few days ago on my Specialized Turbo Levo 2019, I am very pleased, I don’t need more information than what it offers, the rest I can get it from Strava. However I do have one question, I hope you can help me answering. Distance and KM/h seem off. I used metric unit, distance shows 145.2 when I have maybe 3KM on my Apple Watch. Speed shows much slower KM/h than actual speed, and it’s not just a little, its half the real speed. I thought it needed to update its firmware, but it keeps searching on the set up step for that.

Thanks for any help from you or the rest of the colleagues ?

RipTide

Sep 2, 2019
California
Hi! ?

I also bought the TCD and started using it a few days ago on my Specialized Turbo Levo 2019, I am very pleased, I don’t need more information than what it offers, the rest I can get it from Strava. However I do have one question, I hope you can help me answering. Distance and KM/h seem off. I used metric unit, distance shows 145.2 when I have maybe 3KM on my Apple Watch. Speed shows much slower KM/h than actual speed, and it’s not just a little, its half the real speed. I thought it needed to update its firmware, but it keeps searching on the set up step for that.

Thanks for any help from you or the rest of the colleagues ?
As I compared TCD to mission control to Garmin vivoactive all three showed about the same distance within 0.2 miles of each other. All showed about same time, within a few minutes of each other, and all showed about the same average speed. 2.5 hour ride, 30 miles. So my experience is that they are all close on measurements. I did not look at anything other than the TCD during the ride. Only compared at the end so I don’t have data for current speed. I recommend checking your firmware version on the bike to make sure it is current.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles