Kenevo Gen1 Specialized release overpriced bike which is likely just as F***ing reliable as the last one

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Rubbish.

I paid £5500 for an S works enduro 4 years ago. Came with ohlins. One of the first Eagle drive trains on a bike ever. Carbon wheels ( same ones that are on the latest s works levo ) carbon bar and RS Carbon brakes. Carbon cranks. Full carbon frame.

The fact the same bike now costs 11.5 grand is everything that is wrong with this sport.

We even picked up an expert carbon stumpy for £2700 in the same year.

We are seeing 25% price inflation per year on the high end and the components are barely getting any better. Most are still exactly same as 2017.

You can literally buy 2 bikes for the price of one now.
No. The examples are correct.

I don't disagree with you that bike prices are ridiculous though.

But, if there was easy margin to be made there for not a lot of effort why don't we see hundreds of new brands like we used to 20 years ago.

Even chinese copy brands like BLYKE could churn out a WHYTE copy for ?? Go for it - start your own brand - I'll give you the name for free.

Rob made his CHEEB for £4000 - but had to do A LOT of work himself. So there are other routes you could take.

No one is forced to pay £6k,£8k,£10k,£13k,£22k (was one a few weeks ago) for an EMTB. You pay your money and take your choice.

Complaining that you can't get huge discounts anymore when the supply/demand situation is so ridiculous just seems like winging ?

On the bright side, if you paid that for your bikes, you'll be able to sell them for more than you paid for them - so it's all relative isn't it ?

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
There are affordable reliable options,
there is no reason to focus on 3-4 brands.
Here is one

That is a well priced bike. But as you say, that's not really moved on from something available 5 years ago. Compare it to the Cube 140 Stereo Hybrid for £3800. I think there's room across the spectrum. No doubt, the last few years have been rubbish for a lot of Spesh owners. I guess we will see how it goes with the new model.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Locally the most problems with bikes seem to be with the levo, they are a popular bike but so are the moterra, trance, rail, etc. basically any ebike people can get hold of.

not all Levos have problems, some are fine, and some of the other bikes have problems too, the Trek battery chucker for example.

point is the Coburn is right. These are big expenditures, and the technology is not super difficult, and it’s not just the battery or the motor that is going wrong, it’s the basic stuff.

Having spouted off I’m going away to hide as my giant has had very little wrong with it over the last couple of years ??
My 2019 Giant Trance +1 Pro e-mtb, is now exactly two years old. 7300 kilometres ( 4562 miles), still the original factory tyre on the front. On my 3rd rear tyre. Front and rear shocks still original and working fine. No trouble with motor. Just had original wheel bearings replaced in the rear, and the accident damaged down shifter needed replacing after two good 'offs'. One of them a downhill Grade 4+ which only lunatics should ride. Chain, cassette and dropper seat replaced once. Had 3 RideControl ONEs replaced under guarantee, but Giant have sorted the problem out a year or so ago.
I am perfectly happy with this machine, and I can't see the point in spending a lot of money to replace it with a new e-mtb, at a greatly increased price.

tartu71

Aug 4, 2020
EE
I have a cube 160. In under a year 1xframe warranty and 1xmotor warranty. But at least it was "only 4200€". If i had the money for spesh then I would still buy 2 Cubes so I will have something other to ride when it breaks.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I like the 70s car analogy - takes me back to the weekends watching my dad and Uncle Keith remove engines from an unreliable Datsun with little more than a plank and some swarfega. My sons memories will be of trips to a well known Berkshire bike shop to see Uncle Chris.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
.....and the most unreliable parts on modern cars are the electronics..............not the ignition, charging, or electrical components in the main, but sensors and junction boxes mostly associated with emission controls together with their components like DPFs, EGRs, air pumps and catalytic converters.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles