Specialized or YT?

Alf Alderson

Mar 31, 2019
Les Arcs
I'm looking to buy a new bike later this month and am torn between the Specialized Levo Comp and YT Decoy. Any advice on which is the best option much appreciated!
PS I ride a mix of trail centres and downhill, with more of a focus on trails

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
I'm looking to buy a new bike later this month and am torn between the Specialized Levo Comp and YT Decoy. Any advice on which is the best option much appreciated!
PS I ride a mix of trail centres and downhill, with more of a focus on trails
If you don't mind the online ordering bit and if it goes wrong / sending back bit/ waiting for months to get your bike back bit, I would be tempted with the Decoy (Y)

After saying all that, I would still get the Decoy :p

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
later this month
no brainer really.
YTs ebike won't be avalable until next month.

Sorted ;)

Seriously though. They're pretty different bikes and designed with a different intended use in mind.
Trail centres and downhill is pretty vague and could mean anything from lapping WC standard DH tracks and bike parks to doing short relatively flat southern DH and blue/red graded manmade XC trails.
The Decoy is a better bike for the former while a levo is going to be better for the latter.

As with any bike choose geometry, travel and sizing based on what and how you ride. Using this approach you can't really go wrong. Pretty much ALL £4k+ emtbs are great these days.

Alf Alderson

Mar 31, 2019
Les Arcs
no brainer really.
YTs ebike won't be avalable until next month.

Sorted ;)

Seriously though. They're pretty different bikes and designed with a different intended use in mind.
Trail centres and downhill is pretty vague and could mean anything from lapping WC standard DH tracks and bike parks to doing short relatively flat southern DH and blue/red graded manmade XC trails.
The Decoy is a better bike for the former while a levo is going to be better for the latter.

As with any bike choose geometry, travel and sizing based on what and how you ride. Using this approach you can't really go wrong. Pretty much ALL £4k+ emtbs are great these days.

Ta. I'm tempted towards the Levo on the basis of what I've read and comments such as yours, as I mainly ride blue and red trail centre runs and the same in Les Arcs bike park (I live in Les Arcs for half the year); the idea behind getting an e bike is to open up more riding options once the ski lifts close at the end of August as much as anything.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you live in Les Arc, then I would check the dealer network - so if you have an issue with the Levo you are gong to want a Specilized dealer handy (is there one in Morzine or Les Gets?) and with the Shimano motor in the YT, you are going to want a shop that is a Shimano service centre, or at least will get parts etc for you.

Last edited:

Alf Alderson

Mar 31, 2019
Les Arcs
Les arcs? Get the YT then!
Aye but I don't ride the bike park all the time! I also want something for the trails after the lifts close, and also for Wales where I live the rest of the year. Hence my dilemma! First world problems hey?!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Will 2 be enough though? I suppose if you opt for expedited shipping...

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
My last regular bike was a YT Jeffsy 29er, which was great, but I did have to wait eight months for it to arrive in NZ. I'd expect the Decoy to be just as popular and likely to sell out, so your decision made be made for you on availability. One review I read summed up Decoy vs Levo as the the former was better downhill whereas the latter was a more well rounded trail bike. Also bear in mind e-bikes gave more bits to go wrong, so good dealer back up is essential to avoid excess downtime.

Stringbean

Mar 9, 2019
Cape town
With purchasing a Ebike one of the biggest part of the decision has to be backup.
It doesn’t matter how good a bike is if you have problems and it ends up sitting in your garage foe months waiting for a dealer to get parts.
Based on the type riding you doing I would say Levo.
If you only looking to buy end of month that’s a bonus.June Specialized will already be pushing2020 bikes so you might find a deal on 2019 around.
I know there is a shortage on Levo at the moment.I was looking for comp carbon and couldn’t find one but instead found a s works that was on a shop floor for 3 months that they were willing to discount.

Stringbean

Mar 9, 2019
Cape town
Before I had the Specialized I had a Giant trance E1 which was almost just as good as the s works at half the price.
If I was looking at lower spec Specialized I would definitely put the trance e1 in the mix

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
On paper the YT blows away the levo on spec, the only question is warranty coverage. I'll wait until I've ridden the decoy before I comment on how they both ride, but the reviews look positive.

It should be noted that the local specialized dealer is currently quoting 'up to a month' to do a motor swap.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
I would test ride both bikes.

Having had a 700wh battery I wouldn't buy anything less.

BTW the riding in Les Arc is awesome. The trail past Black Eight was fantastic (called double header).

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
On paper the YT blows away the levo on spec, the only question is warranty coverage. I'll wait until I've ridden the decoy before I comment on how they both ride, but the reviews look positive.

It should be noted that the local specialized dealer is currently quoting 'up to a month' to do a motor swap.
Same day service for a motor change at Berkshire Cycles. You just need to make a courtesy call to tell them when you are coming and take your original receipt with you.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Is it free if you didn’t buy the bike from them?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The YT has a 700wh battery option coming out later in the year, which I am hoping will be for all models unlike the Levo which is only on the £££ models.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles