Specialized or YT?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I think it would be great if we saw regional service centres being open by/in conjunction with the likes of Bosch and Shimano.
Bosch already have Excellence Centres. RaceCo in Stourbridge is one, Dean Forest cycles is another.
RaceCo don't charge for warranty work, even if you didn't buy the bike from them, Dean Forest Cycles charge a small amount (I was quoted £30) to cover them for work outside that which is covered by Bosch.

Cryptwalk

Oct 3, 2018
Uk
Specialized have a couple of new parts to stop the crap going down the motor housing and a new rear shock connector. I called the bike shop I bought my 19 levo from (60 miles away) and they said they’d sort it no problem but I might want to try a local Specialized dealer. I did this and they said they’d charge the labour for fitting. I called Specialized themselves and they confirmed that they would not cover the labour. I told them exactly what I thought of that!

I think it’s a load of crap tbh, I’ve left it for now. It’s not the cost, it’s the fact I think it stinks.

lolp

Apr 5, 2019
london england
Well I've read all the bumph, reviews, opinions etc and it seems the yt decoy is more gravity orientated and the spesh levo more trail orientated whilst the yt offers better components at my approx £4k price point. My riding, on an 18 levo is definitely more forest trail based with a few trail centres etc thrown in each year.
So my questions are that .....relative to my existing bike... whilst most would advise me to buy the spesh and i acknowledge the common wisdom, as an average weekend warrior doing only relatively small jumps am i really going to notice much difference if i plumped for the yt? What disadvantages might i notice? Is the yt as easy to lift the front? Will the yt deal with the typical forest obstacles as easily?
Oh for a test ride...anyone know where or when?????
Thanks in anticipation!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
YT were at FoD this weekend just gone and they’re at Guisbourne (sp) this weekend. Queues will be horrendous but worth the wait.

lolp

Apr 5, 2019
london england
Thanks for those responses guys but my main questions were really if anyone can say whether i (or any other average weekend warrior) really am going to notice much difference if i plumped for the yt? What disadvantages might i notice? Will the yt deal with the typical forest obstacles as easily?

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I think you are the only one who can answer that question ?

I don’t think there are many disadvantages of either bike, they are just suited for different riding styles. When it comes to eBikes, personally I would rather be ‘over biked’, as I ride a very broad range of trails and the motor helps compensate in areas where an normal long travel bike might be at a disadvantage. The YT also has shorter chainstays and wheelbase, this should help make up for the extra travel and improve playfulness on less gravity focused trails.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Thanks for those responses guys but my main questions were really if anyone can say whether i (or any other average weekend warrior) really am going to notice much difference if i plumped for the yt? What disadvantages might i notice? Will the yt deal with the typical forest obstacles as easily?
The YT is fine over typical forest obstacles. Whatever they are... I rode the demo bike on some blue trails, some natural singletrack, some red descents and some sketchy off-piste descents. It was fine on all of them. My Trek is a little more stable when it gets steep, up as well as down, but it's longer and heavier so significantly less agile.
The obvious disadvantage over a Levo is the motor noise. If that doesn't bother you, crack on.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Can anyone advise if they had any size small decoys at FoD, as ideally would like to try out the actual size I've ordered. When I've demo'd bikes in the past brands often only bring mediums and up to demo days?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
How tall are you? I rode with a guy who’s 5’3” and he took out the medium. The seatpost was fractionally too high but other than that he said it was ok. He is going to order a Small though.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I'm 5.4 so can fit on a medium ok, but always size down to retain max agility. It would have been nice to try out as small, as I remember when demo-ing a medium Levo it felt like a monster truck. I took the chance with buying my small Levo and it paid off as it's much more agile than the medium. Hope the queue is smaller for the mediums.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It won’t be.

There’s only one medium and bikes are allocated on a first come, first served basis, meaning every pre-pubescent snot-nosed brat in front of you will just jump on whatever becomes available whether it fits or not.

Fire_2

May 11, 2019
Kent
Was interested in a 18 Levo for 3500, then extra would have to be a dropper now sure how much this cost fitted?

Thinking that 4200 decoy looks pretty good value for something so new and different!

I like the red stripe to!

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
It won’t be.

There’s only one medium and bikes are allocated on a first come, first served basis, meaning every pre-pubescent snot-nosed brat in front of you will just jump on whatever becomes available whether it fits or not.
That's not the answer I was looking for. I was planning to go on Friday to beat the crowds but that would mean getting there mid day. Might be better to go at the crack of dawn Saturday instead

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I got to the front of the queue at 8:45 last Saturday. I got my first ride on a Decoy at 11:30...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There doesn't seem to be a "right" time. On Sunday I headed back to ride my own bike. I got there around 12 and the queue was at least 10 people waiting for Decoys. I did 90 minutes or so on my bike and the queue was about half that so I rejoined it hoping to ride a Base model, of which there is only one. One of the people in front of me took it about an hour after I joined the queue and it was another 90 minutes before I got to ride it. Even if I had been waiting for any spec in Large, it would only have been about 30 minutes sooner.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Got to Gisburn at 2 and was on the Decoy by 3. Very impressed.
The medium Decoy didn't feel quite as agile as my small 18 Levo, but the suspension was much better and the Decoy felt better off jumps, less nose heavy. Didn't like the Di2 though, so glad I've gone for the Pro model not the Race

lolp

Apr 5, 2019
london england
Interesting info markh. I have an 18 levo too and am considering the decoy. I was pleased to hear you found it had a light front end. How did you find the shimano motor in comparison to the levo's brose?

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Interesting info markh. I have an 18 levo too and am considering the decoy. I was pleased to hear you found it had a light front end. How did you find the shimano motor in comparison to the levo's brose?
Way noisier than the Brose. Not quite as natural feeling. Boost mode was higher than the Brose - too high for me so I didn't really use it. Trail mode was spot on. Eco felt higher than on my Levo. Not sure how much you can adjust the Shimano.
I think I prefer the Brose motor but could live with the Shimano fine.
Battery use was good. Did a full loop on 3 bars.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Lucky, more like! ;)

Was there first thing this morning. The bikes were busy but it was ok; about an hour seemed the norm for the Decoy queue and there were plenty of their regular bikes too. I did a loop on the 29 Capra after trying the Decoy.

I'm using my '14 Capra daily just now as my Sommet is back with CRC. It's amazing how much the Capra has moved on.

Enjoyed the Decoy too but, apart from looks and battery strength, I don't think it's a better bike than the Vitus E-Sommet VR.

Not sure I would ever get used to controlling the DI2 mech with the E700 shifter buttons.

Also, I've been to lots of Demo days, this was the best by far, All the YT guys are super keen. Good job.

ATB Frank

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Sounds like it was a lot busier at FoD.

Has anyone with a 19 Levo test ridden a Decoy yet?

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Sounds like it was a lot busier at FoD.

Has anyone with a 19 Levo test ridden a Decoy yet?
Yes . I've got a Levo 19
Said in a previous post. Decoy looks stunning and is a plush ride but didn't like the Shimano motor as much as a Brose.
Actually prefer the ride and smooth powerful motor of my Levo
I know personal opinions are subjective but that's my 2p worth

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles