Specialized Mission Control App v2.x Now Available

PetarHolland

Oct 1, 2018
Cortona, Italy
Hi - if you mean you want to ride with the map or statistics screen but cannot because the screen goes into screen-lock (depending on your settings) after 1 minute or so, then I understand your question. This is a feature that I know the team are working on and should be delivered within the next 2 or 3 updates. If that doesn't answer your question - please could you provide a little more information?
That's perfect!
And i hope in a fully integration with the wahoo computer too, in the near future :D

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Which bike are you riding Swissrob? If the new Levo, check that you have the latest firmware because the walk assist is great with the latest motor firmware due to the way the new Brose Drive S Mag motor delivers instant power. (Bikes were shipped before the latest motor firmware was released by Brose but if retailers do the hand-over using our firmware-update system then everything will be up to date when a bike is purchased). If the previous generations of Levo or a Kenevo, the speed-sensor magnet needs to pass the sensor for the motor to permit assist levels - and that sometimes means walking the bike forward or back a little before it engages, I've been stuck on a rock-face trying to push the Levo uphill until the magnet passes the sensor myself so I understand your comment.

There are several legal restrictions around the use of walk assist that we have to adhere to, the latest Brose motor design improves the way we navigate these restrictions but two simple guidelines that all manufacturers have to adhere to: 1) 6kph max assist speed 2) Speed must be validated (i.e. by a speed sensor) - and assist must cut above 6kph.

This makes perfect sense to me now that you have explained about the positioning of the magnet for the speed sensor and why this could be mistaken as a fault with walk assist mode. I will try this out on my 2018 and report back

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
thank you thats an excellent discription but as a compromise can we have accelleration response setting put back please. Until you removed it it was a useful tool for tuning the response of the motor under various situations especially when climbing steep stuff. I notice the control is reinstated for the 2019 models and seeing as we used to have this in 2017/18 models can you put it back please

Hi ccrdave. Sorry we didn't answer this earlier. The feature was removed from the 2017/18 models because it was jerky and at times too responsive from take off but actually didn't change acceleration response through the majority of the range - it never functioned quite the way we'd intended it and actually drove a few complaints (Hardware limitations played a part in that). The acceleration response that we've been able to achieve on the new Brose Drive S Mag is smooth and responsive irrespective of the option you choose - and we feel does what it says on the tin for the new Levo.

We've been back to the product team a few times on this one and they've been clear that they can't get the acceleration response to work smoothly enough to reinstate it as a feature on the 2017/18 bikes. Sorry :(

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hi ccrdave. Sorry we didn't answer this earlier. The feature was removed from the 2017/18 models because it was jerky and at times too responsive from take off but actually didn't change acceleration response through the majority of the range - it never functioned quite the way we'd intended it and actually drove a few complaints (Hardware limitations played a part in that). The acceleration response that we've been able to achieve on the new Brose Drive S Mag is smooth and responsive irrespective of the option you choose - and we feel does what it says on the tin for the new Levo.

We've been back to the product team a few times on this one and they've been clear that they can't get the acceleration response to work smoothly enough to reinstate it as a feature on the 2017/18 bikes. Sorry :(
For me it seems like you kind of don’t care about your customers with bikes older than 2019☹️ In my world the acceleration feature could easily be implemented via a on/off button in order to meet demand from those that miss the specific function. I guess it would take a developer 10 minutes to solve that task. But again, you want to save all the nice features on the new model in order for us that owns an “obsolete” 2018 model to upgrade.

Karsten

RickW

Oct 2, 2018
UK
Karsten,

Don't be too down hearted - your 2018 version can have mods via Blevo which make it a lot faster than the 2019 version if that's your cup of PG

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Karsten,

Don't be too down hearted - your 2018 version can have mods via Blevo which make it a lot faster than the 2019 version if that's your cup of PG

I'm aware of that and a Blevo user by the way - My point is why do I have to be forced to use 3. Party "illegal" apps in order to utilize functions that my bike initial was marketed with from Specialized? Can you imagine buying a new car and then after first service functions are removed without notice by the dealer......How would you react to that?

Karsten

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I'm aware of that and a Blevo user by the way - My point is why do I have to be forced to use 3. Party "illegal" apps in order to utilize functions that my bike initial was marketed with from Specialized? Can you imagine buying a new car and then after first service functions are removed without notice by the dealer......How would you react to that?

Karsten
I'd probably be really fu..ed up :p

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Which bike are you riding Swissrob? If the new Levo, check that you have the latest firmware because the walk assist is great with the latest motor firmware due to the way the new Brose Drive S Mag motor delivers instant power. (Bikes were shipped before the latest motor firmware was released by Brose but if retailers do the hand-over using our firmware-update system then everything will be up to date when a bike is purchased). If the previous generations of Levo or a Kenevo, the speed-sensor magnet needs to pass the sensor for the motor to permit assist levels - and that sometimes means walking the bike forward or back a little before it engages, I've been stuck on a rock-face trying to push the Levo uphill until the magnet passes the sensor myself so I understand your comment.

There are several legal restrictions around the use of walk assist that we have to adhere to, the latest Brose motor design improves the way we navigate these restrictions but two simple guidelines that all manufacturers have to adhere to: 1) 6kph max assist speed 2) Speed must be validated (i.e. by a speed sensor) - and assist must cut above 6kph.

2018 and I will check the hardware upgrade. I think I will do a bit of bush mechanics and put a bit of tape next to the magnet then I can see if it's better to roll back to engage walk mode.

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
@Specialized Rider Care : Any feedback on the finer adjustments for assistance for Eco mode?

Another comment: The new app has a 3x2 screen with adjustable fields which is fine. But for those using their smartphones as bike computer, can you inrease the number of fields (e.g. 4x2) or even make it more flexible?

Whizz

Oct 23, 2018
Belgium
Thanks for the question Karsten and sorry for the delay. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right answer.

Quite a few of you have specifically asked why we removed wheel circumference adjustment from our new Mission Control app - this was directly in response to advice from our legal team based on European eBike safety standard EN 15194:2017. They explained that we needed to close a door whereby 3rd party apps were bypassing local speed limits via reducing wheel circumference further than we designed or intended. We recognise that this feature removal has not been popular with riders that genuinely need to adjust wheel circumference – for example those running two different sets of wheels – however on this particular issue we were asked to respond quickly and firmly. We also understand that some riders wish to circumvent local speed limits, however as a manufacturer we need to ensure full legal compliance and rider safety. In the long-run, we believe that it is vital to invest in the reputation of eBikes (and eBike riders) to create a future where greater understanding is fostered and more eBike-friendly trails are opened.

In the coming weeks we will adapt our retailer software to enable them to adjust wheel circumference at bike set-up for you (please note only real world scenarios will be possible). For the longer term we will continue to monitor this issue – if there is a simple way for us to support multiple wheel sizes through our app (that does not open a door for others to exploit) then we will absolutely consider adding this.

@Specialized Rider Care
Please don’t forget in your future retailer software those who ride 27,5 x2,6 on the newlevo 2019

Thanks

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
The new Levo uses the Brose Drive S Mag motor - which has a new feature from Brose that they call 'Flex Power Mode', essentially power delivery is controlled according to pedal force (torque - as per our previous gen Levo bikes) and also now cadence...enabling you to slide between 0% support (fully torque controlled) and 100% (overall power controlled, which is a combination of torque and cadence).

Can you explain how the power works in more detail? How does it consider torque and cadence? I have been trying to sense the difference between 0% Shuttle and 100% Shuttle (while in Turbo mode with 100% support, 100% peak power and 100% acceleration) and I just cannot sense any difference in any situation.

Thanks for you help!

airscape

Dec 19, 2019
Romania
Hi there,
I have a Turbo Levo 2017, and after updating my Mission Control app, I see that the wheel circumference is incorrectly set to 2000mm, a value that I can't change (I've already read that it is no longer possible to change the value).
I have the standard 27.5 x 3.0 wheels from factory which have a much higher circumference (around 2300mm).
So right now the bike will give me an incorrect speed and distance ? I need my bike to be fully functional and use the correct circumference! I am using the standard factory tires that the bike was equipped with, so I need the cirumference properly set in my app and bike settings!! I am not using other wheels/tires, I want to use the standard bike properly!
@Specialized Rider Care please advise!

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Hi there,
I have a Turbo Levo 2017, and after updating my Mission Control app, I see that the wheel circumference is incorrectly set to 2000mm, a value that I can't change (I've already read that it is no longer possible to change the value).
I have the standard 27.5 x 3.0 wheels from factory which have a much higher circumference (around 2300mm).
So right now the bike will give me an incorrect speed and distance ? I need my bike to be fully functional and use the correct circumference! I am using the standard factory tires that the bike was equipped with, so I need the cirumference properly set in my app and bike settings!! I am not using other wheels/tires, I want to use the standard bike properly!

And the silence is deafening...........

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
If you still have the original app you can keep it, I have both on my phone. if you back up your phone it will install it onto your new phone when the time comes to upgrade. I found the ability to see what the charge is at when charging was very useful so I didn’t charge more than I needed.

3A9F3CED-8BBD-4A71-9621-699A80A6987A.png

airscape

Dec 19, 2019
Romania
I obviously don’t have the old version anymore and I can’t install it from App Store on my iPhone.

I just need to be able to have the correct wheel circumference in my bike settings, corresponding to my ORIGINAL FACTORY wheels and tires, 27.5 x 3.0! @Specialized Rider Care please enlighten me, I paid a lot of money for this bike, this is absolutely ridiculous not to be able to use it correctly!

Last edited:

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Hi there,

Hi @airscape . Sorry to hear you're unhappy with the wheel circumference adjustment being locked in the newer version of the app. Whilst the fine-level adjustment is locked, you should simply be able to go to the PRESETS section of the TUNE menu and recall FACTORY settings - your original wheel circumference will be restored. Please let us know if this doesn't resolve things for you and I'll PM you to see if we can find you a retailer that can get this set up correctly.

To explain in more detail, we implemented this change in 2018 following legal advice based on legislation that was passed after your bike was built (EN15194:2017 - due to come into force in 2019) I'll quote the key sections below - however wheel circumference is now a retailer set-up parameter. I realise that it doesn't feel great to have been able to adjust something in the old app that you can't in the new app, sorry about that.

For all manufacturers/eBike brands, the last 5 years have seen consistently tightening rules where bikes must stick to the regional speed limits that they were intended for - even to the extent (see section b) that the bikes can detect when speed limits have been bypassed and deploy counter-measures or "limp-modes". Allowing riders to adjust wheel circumference was originally designed as a benefit, however in reality a lot of riders adjusted this to the lowest level to increase their maximum speed and we were advised a) to remove the controls from the app. and b) to build countermeasures into our bikes, which we've done for all current models. Your bike will still allow adjustment of wheel circumference over Bluetooth, and our original app (in addition to a number of 3rd party apps) will still allow you to fine-tune your wheel circumference. If you have further questions we'll be glad to help further.

EN15194:2017 - 4.2.17.2 Prevention of tampering
a)Anti-tampering relevant parameters shall only be accessible to the manufacturer or authorized persons and changes of software configuration parameters require programming tools that are not commercially available or security protected.
b)Assumable manipulations on the approval relevant configuration shall be prevented or compensated by effective counter measures, i.e. plausibility logics to detect manipulations on sensors

airscape

Dec 19, 2019
Romania
@Specialized Rider Care Thank you. I managed to download and install the older Mission Control app on my other Android phone, and I was able to set the correct circumference. It’s then read correctly by the new MC app too.
BUT, something else is puzzling me now: the old MC app on Android says my battery Health is 91%, and the new MC app on my iPhone says it’s 100%. The old MC app on my iPhone I recall was showing 100% as well.
So which one is correct ? The Firmware for battery has also different versions in the old app and new app.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@airscape You can also use Blevo and eGenesis on a 2017 bike to modify/correct your wheel size. It might be that the default settings Spesh rider care has explained how to achieve, aren't the exact measurements for your tyre - which I'm guessing is what you're trying to correct ?

With regard to your battery health, the newer versions of MC calculate this differently and within different parameters, compared to the older version. If you need to know the exact state of your cell capacity, again Blevo or eGenesis should give you this information.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
@Specialized Rider Care Thank you. I managed to download and install the older Mission Control app on my other Android phone, and I was able to set the correct circumference. It’s then read correctly by the new MC app too.
BUT, something else is puzzling me now: the old MC app on Android says my battery Health is 91%, and the new MC app on my iPhone says it’s 100%. The old MC app on my iPhone I recall was showing 100% as well.
So which one is correct ? The Firmware for battery has also different versions in the old app and new app.
just use the old app for the wheel circ and the new app fir everything else.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles