Specialized Mission Control App v2.x Now Available

Gatano

Sep 8, 2018
Italy
Normally I would be all over a new mission control app but now it usually comes along with a load of hassles just can’t be bothered anymore. I’ll stick with the old one if it still works.
the old version will stop working in november

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
Does anyone know if the new app has still the 5% steps, so MC only 5%, 10%,015% etc. possible? These are for low assistance riders in my view too big steps, as the assistance increases by 100% or 50% (from 5 to 10 or 10 to 15). If you want to do longer rides and more climbing, you need to have the steps narrower. And this should be imemented easily as others can do this with the Levo :)

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
In today’s world with everything programmable and software so good this was a missed opportunity. Plus releasing beta crap to people and removing the old one and not even bothering to tell the end user it is beta is irresponsible. If I had known it was beta I’d not have bothered use it. Now I can’t go back to the old that halfway worked. As it is I bought BLEVO glad that works. Really specialized need to rectify this quickly. It is more damaging than they realize. Lack of communication is even worse. Put something in the AppStore explaining the situation and what is being done about it. Label the software properly in the splash screen so we know what is supported what it’s doing and how if there is any way to disable features we don’t want, like surreptitiously uploading data to specialized. If it’s beta say so and make the old version available so we can roll back to it.

Unfortunately beta isn’t even good enough for beta. It’s almost like no one even bothered test this before putting it out there. Otherwise the glaring examples of all things that don’t even work and randomness of even what seems to work would have been obvious. Am not opposed to beta software, just make it halfway decent and give me a way to get rid of it and go to something that’s stable at atleast works.

Here is another proposal. If you can’t beat them then join them. Consider approaching Paulo and see if you can acquire BLEVo, rebrand it ( change color scheme to your own and label it ) and remove what you don’t want to allow people to do. Do a proper translation to English and create an easy to understand manual. At a minimum you already know people love the app, atleast it works for the bikes, and you can add to it. Ideally let him keep BLEVO too as it has value even if you acquire what he has.

Last edited:

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I'm sure that the main reason why the app is spying on people is to monitor if the rightful owner have connected 3rd party software/apps to the bike. If using Blevo together with the new Mission Control you have properly just lost your warranty even if you only use it the same way the MC is intended for.

If using Blevo, I would not even install MC on my phone as there could be communication over BT without you pairing to the bike.

Do the MC 2.0 work if disconnected from the Internet?

Karsten

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Just buy Blevo for far less money than a new bike and you will be an happy man again;) let's make the Levo great again!:LOL:
I have BLevo, been a while now. ;)
(BLevo has big minus vs MC; the app must be open on phone. I ride to work every day, it is annoying to open app every time, every day.)

This is a matter of principle. If spes is going to spy me, and they don’t give a shit older bike owners regarding old MC it´s time to wote with my feet.
Responsible manufacturer will take care older bike owners too, not trying to sell them 2019 Levos this way.
Arrogant is the right word for them?

Last edited:

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
(BLevo has big minus vs MC; the app must be open on phone. I ride to work every day, it is annoying to open app every time, every day.)

This is a matter of principle. If spes is going to spy me, and they don’t give a shit older bike owners regarding old MC it´s time to wote with my feet.
Responsible manufacturer will take care older bike owners too, not trying to sell them 2019 Levos this way.
Why do you need blevo open all the time?

Gatano

Sep 8, 2018
Italy

I never used MC since Blevo was born, I use it always active because I like the smart features, but you can use it just like MC (with more precise fine tuning) and leave the phone at home, no need to always being connected.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
What’s wrong with 3rd party apps that are not damaging the bike? I have all my cars tuned and 3rd party gadgets that are not really harmful on them no problems. Why is the cycling world like this? I mean screw it. I bought the bike I should be able to tweak it without draconian restrictions. If this becomes a problem I’ll just buy from different brand in a couple years and bye specialized. Easy as that. If you don’t like what they are doing don’t give your business to them. Eventually that will work better than groveling or begging them. Social media world soon prospective customers will know what the deal is and make decisions based on this. Nothing kills a brand faster than dumb policies.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
As a matter of fact I think I will try to flag the app in the iOS App Store with reference to the new EU Privacy Act. Apparently the app is retrieving personal information without user acceptance in the software - This is illegal in the European Union.

That could force them to rewrite the software.

Karsten

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
If i ride my levo without phone and BLevo, it works just like the same as with Blevo active? I don’t think so :rolleyes:
If you use the smart function or heart rate smart function you need phone connected all the time but mc cant do this anyway. If you just use blevo to set assist and motor peak settings you do not need blevo connected all the time

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
If you bought maps with the old app but later downloaded MC v2, then those maps are probably gone. The app doesn’t even show the page with the maps. I don’t know. I got myself a wahoo element bolt to go on the bars so I will just use that. Instead especially it has turn b6 turn navigation

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
It doesn’t seem to connect with either of my batteries maybe because I haven’t been able to bring myself to delete the old app and kiss my ride history goodbye.

Allysnell

Sep 16, 2018
Winchester
Are all these issues with us guys who have the prior model bikes or are the 2019s seeing similar issues? That would be interesting to know.
Either way for the amount that we have paid for these bikes the software is rubbish. I have the 2019 turbo Kenevo, I go into tune and can't change wheelsize so really what's the point of having it as a feature. I'm also massively peeved that now the new levo has come out that there are new software features but only available to that bike. Why should people be forced into using a 3rd party app and potentially invalidating warranties when specialized can't see the light and continue to use a shoddy app. I know they are on this forum and they really ought to be responding especially given that many people may well avoid specialized purely based on the software.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi all, I understand the frustration that folks are experiencing. You buy some of the worlds best bikes and want the worlds best support and service to go with it.

Whilst I can’t speak on behalf of Specialized, I do know that they are seriously looking into ways to take user experiences, feedback and suggestions on board and want to get much closer to riders especially when it comes to software.

Also, know that they will be reading this feedback and taking it all in.

Thanks
Rob.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
What’s wrong with 3rd party apps that are not damaging the bike? I have all my cars tuned and 3rd party gadgets that are not really harmful on them no problems. Why is the cycling world like this? I mean screw it. I bought the bike I should be able to tweak it without draconian restrictions. If this becomes a problem I’ll just buy from different brand in a couple years and bye specialized. Easy as that. If you don’t like what they are doing don’t give your business to them. Eventually that will work better than groveling or begging them. Social media world soon prospective customers will know what the deal is and make decisions based on this. Nothing kills a brand faster than dumb policies.

Derestricting IMO would lead to warranty issues. I doubt that the OEM would warranty a car you've tuned. Also, if they could stop you making a mod which made your car illegal, I suspect they would. Remember that Spesh have a legal obligation to ensure their equipment is safe and compliant with local laws. This means they can't support 3rd party apps and may well be under pressure to make the system more secure.

Having said that, poor show from Spesh on releasing an app that clearly isn't working correctly for all users. It's a difficult transition for them but I trust they'll invest to get this sorted.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Derestricting IMO would lead to warranty issues. I doubt that the OEM would warranty a car you've tuned. Also, if they could stop you making a mod which made your car illegal, I suspect they would. Remember that Spesh have a legal obligation to ensure their equipment is safe and compliant with local laws. This means they can't support 3rd party apps and may well be under pressure to make the system more secure.

Having said that, poor show from Spesh on releasing an app that clearly isn't working correctly for all users. It's a difficult transition for them but I trust they'll invest to get this sorted.

The legal part I’m totally in line with and it’s up to the individual to break the law but then also accept the consequences doing so.

What I cannot accept is that they are spying on people and not clearly informing about it in accordance with the EU Privacy Act. What data are they logging? Nobody knows as they do not clearly list it as they are supposed to - That is a illegal act by European law!

Karsten

Allysnell

Sep 16, 2018
Winchester
The legal part I’m totally in line with and it’s up to the individual to break the law but then also accept the consequences doing so.

What I cannot accept is that they are spying on people and not clearly informing about it in accordance with the EU Privacy Act. What data are they logging? Nobody knows as they do not clearly list it as they are supposed to - That is a illegal act by European law!

Karsten
Agreed we all know the rigmoral that companies in the UK have gone through to comply with gdpr. The if they were taking data from my bike and giving feedback on how I can improve my ride or technique or battery use then great. But they really need to sort the base app out first and make sure it can be retrofitted to previous model bikes.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
My issue here is that the app is being used as a tool for planned obsolescence as a consumer of these products we need to decide if we want to keep investing in companies using this strategy.

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
Whilst I can’t speak on behalf of Specialized, I do know that they are seriously looking into ways to take user experiences, feedback and suggestions on board and want to get much closer to riders especially when it comes to software.

Also, know that they will be reading this feedback and taking it all in.

Sorry to say, but my view as a rider of the 2018 Levo is a little bit different: The MC App is really bad, and third party apps show what´s possible with the Levo. That´s not really new, known for years now. But instead of investing in the software for the rider Speci put their efforts in social media and event marketing for their 2019 Levo ;)

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
As far as deristricting goes fair enough. For one I won’t go back and it’s my decision. I bought the bike damn it.

Now if something breaks and you can show and prove to me how something I did led to the problem, then fine I don’t expect you to warranty it. But blanket invalidation of warranty is unfair and enough to make me shop elsewhere. Am an intermediate cyclist, not racing and rarely going as fast as most. Nothing I do is careless or intended to cause bike to easily break. I don’t even do jumps because my skill level and age. Just pointing out. Typical people buying these bikes are not agile teenagers with a death wish ?

Anyway let’s hope nothing related breaks but I give them benefit of the doubt and assume they are reasonable and let’s see what happens when inevitably some repair is needed. If treated unfairly I just take my business elsewhere. Simple as that.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Spesh warranty the bike based on it being used as designed. If, for example, you fitted triple clamp forks would you expect warranty if the head tube weld cracked? Personally, I would expect Spesh to have done testing based on normal operating conditions. Given that they don’t control third party apps, I think it’s eminently fair that a blanket ban exists. They do still have the choice to honour warranty, but are not obliged to.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
They have the right to do what they think ok or them which may not always be the most customer friendly thing. Most of us love the product but we get to decide when something is not acceptable and buy different product. That’s all I said. No one is expecting to put a triple cramp fork and get warrantied on a weld crack. Basically there reasonable and unreasonable and gray in between. Now if you use a third party app and have a mechanical issue it’s simply not reasonable to deny you warranty based on having a third party app. We can ague all day but we all know where our lines are. For me that would drive me away.

For example I have a dropper that’s not working right from new even before I used BLEvo. It’s not fixed but I chose to take the bike because I had no bike for a week waiting on it and some other stuff. Now lbs said it was normal but even I being a novice know it’s not normal. It will inevitably get worse or stop working completely and am sure of that. When it does and I take it back in I don’t expect to hear that oh you used BLEvo so you have to pay for the repair.

I have a lupine light connected to the motor. If something happens I don’t expect to hear that because I used a lupine light now I have no warranty or because I have a 36T chainring I don’t have warranty. If the chain cassette goes I will take care of it, no problems.

I don’t know how else to explain my view here. Those are my only mods and I think my expectations are completely reasonable. Not like am trying to get away with anything. In fact I paid the lbs where I bought the bike to do those mods. BLEvo is about usability of the bike that’s all. As I said am not some kid who goes bombing down the trails at devil may care speeds. Am too old for that. Leave that to my son, but he’s not touching my bike. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles