Specialized Levo vs Trek Rail

EMTB Rider

Dec 14, 2019
Scottsdale Arizona USA
I had a chance to ride each of these bikes for about 75 miles. I rode the large size Levo Turbo Expert Carbon and the Carbon Trek Rail 9.7. The power feels the same to me but the Levo in the tubo setting has more motor run on and in slow technical trails and is more difficult to control than the Rail. The Rail is $1300 less money than the Levo. Levo Battery 700 vs 625 Rail. Bosch battery warranted longer. The Rail has a 160 mm fork vs 150 mm Levo. Rail has a longer reach and a more slack head angle and steeper seat tube angle. Rail has 12 speed and the levo has 11 speed. Both Bikes ride really good but the main difference for me was the way the bikes handled. I am 5'11" and weigh 175lbs and have been riding mountain bikes for about 12 years. I ride bike parks, flow trails , and Technical trails. For my riding style the Levo front tire in turns feels very light and washes out easily and doesn't give me confidence on the trail. The Rail, my weight distribution is more centered and in the turns and feels fantastic. The Levo, even though the front end felt light in the turns was more difficult to pop it up on rocks then the Rail. I also noticed that the Rail even though it has a slacker head angle feels more nimble than the levo. Keep in mind both bikes are awesome but the rail in my opinion is a better value . As far as the way the bike handles it will very from rider to rider. In my opinion Trek Rail is the better bike. Before purchasing a bike is always wise to Demo them!

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have the Rail 9.9 and Levo S-Works on my shortlist. I’m trying to get a demo, but suspect it will be with lower specced models. The geometry will be the same though - just better components... so it should give me a decent comparison.

The Rail ticks more boxes for me due to the higher spec, and slightly slacker angles... however the Levo has a better motor. Silent, tuneable and more natural. I still haven’t ridden a Bosch Gen4, but am concerned by the ‘clattering’ noise all the reviews mention.

The Rail seems to be much better value too... but the ugly Kiox display is another slightly off putting factor. I like the Levo with no display - just some discreet LEDs.

Hopefully the demo will help me decide, as I keep swaying back and forth between the 2!!

EMTB Rider

Dec 14, 2019
Scottsdale Arizona USA
I have the Rail 9.9 and Levo S-Works on my shortlist. I’m trying to get a demo, but suspect it will be with lower specced models. The geometry will be the same though - just better components... so it should give me a decent comparison.

The Rail ticks more boxes for me due to the higher spec, and slightly slacker angles... however the Levo has a better motor. Silent, tuneable and more natural. I still haven’t ridden a Bosch Gen4, but am concerned by the ‘clattering’ noise all the reviews mention.

The Rail seems to be much better value too... but the ugly Kiox display is another slightly off putting factor. I like the Levo with no display - just some discreet LEDs.

Hopefully the demo will help me decide, as I keep swaying back and forth between the 2!!
The local bike shop that i purchased my Rail from told me that the Levo motor has lots of problems, there hoping next year they will have a new motor

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The local bike shop that i purchased my Rail from told me that the Levo motor has lots of problems, there hoping next year they will have a new motor

Best motor... but with poor reliability!
I’ve read lots of stories on here of people having their motor replaced 3+ times under warranty. The plus side is Specialized have one of the best warranty schemes out there.

How did you find the noise of the Bosch compared to the Levo?
The Bosch being new this year has a plus that it’s going to be the ‘current’ motor for the next couple of years... but the negative is no one knows what sort of flaws may pop up! Hopefully being Bosch’s 4th Gen, they’ll have it sussed out by now.

EMTB Rider

Dec 14, 2019
Scottsdale Arizona USA
Best motor... but with poor reliability!
I’ve read lots of stories on here of people having their motor replaced 3+ times under warranty. The plus side is Specialized have one of the best warranty schemes out there.

How did you find the noise of the Bosch compared to the Levo?
The Bosch being new this year has a plus that it’s going to be the ‘current’ motor for the next couple of years... but the negative is no one knows what sort of flaws may pop up! Hopefully being Bosch’s 4th Gen, they’ll have it sussed out by now.

The Bosch motor definitely has more noise but compared to the Brose motor. The bosch motor has a soft whine sound under load and almost silent when not under heavy load. The Bosch motor feels so natural when riding just like the Brose! Both great riding motors.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I usually ride with earphones in (low volume!), so hopefully the noise won’t be an issue anyway.

My LBS can only offer me a 10min ride along the roads near them on the Trek. Not sure what I’ll gain from that - other than size / comfort of the frame.

The shop that sells Levo can give me a £100 2 day hire of a Comp - and the £100 is refunded as a voucher at the end provided the bike is returned in the condition you got it. Much more beneficial to take it to some trails I normally visit and see how it compares to my mechanical bike.

I’m definitely leaning towards the Rail for the geometry and Rockshox / Eagle AXS components... with the Kiox and non tuneable Bosch motor putting me off a little. There seems to be a lot more support for Specialized Brose motors at the moment.
I just wish Bosch would offer a no display option.

EMTB Rider

Dec 14, 2019
Scottsdale Arizona USA
I usually ride with earphones in (low volume!), so hopefully the noise won’t be an issue anyway.

My LBS can only offer me a 10min ride along the roads near them on the Trek. Not sure what I’ll gain from that - other than size / comfort of the frame.

The shop that sells Levo can give me a £100 2 day hire of a Comp - and the £100 is refunded as a voucher at the end provided the bike is returned in the condition you got it. Much more beneficial to take it to some trails I normally visit and see how it compares to my mechanical bike.

I’m definitely leaning towards the Rail for the geometry and Rockshox / Eagle AXS components... with the Kiox and non tuneable Bosch motor putting me off a little. There seems to be a lot more support for Specialized Brose motors at the moment.
I just wish Bosch would offer a no display option.
I would not worry about the Bosch motor not tunable. The EMTB mode is fantastic. Just leave it in that setting for each ride and enjoy!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve read the EMTB mode is very good and adapts to the conditions, so that’s a big plus. I was more concerned about the lack of ‘hack ability’, as it’d be nice to be able to get about 20mph assisted rather than just 15.5.

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
It’s only a matter of time before it’s hackable. You can still do non-dongle hacks such as sensor on the crank if you have to.

I thought I would want a display but the range display is very helpful. Having a 5-bar readout is one thing but knowing the fairl accurate distance you have to empty is great, especially when you’re on the last bar.

And yes I keep mine on eMTB mode 100% of the time.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
You can still do non-dongle hacks such as sensor on the crank if you have to.

Can you still do this when the sensor is built into the brake rotor? I’d be happy if I could change the region to USA, just to get the extra 5mph!

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
Yeah ditto, you just need that extra ability on the flat when you can cruise at 'just over' the limiter!

I haven't investigated, but the rotor just houses the magnet which is removable with two rotor screws. The sensor in the rear triangle I haven't looked closely at, not sure if it's relocatable.

Speedbox 3 claims it's compatible with Gen4 Bosch, waiting for a test mule to confirm :)
SpeedBox 3.0 for Bosch - Quantity: 1 pcs, Box :: SpeedBox Tuning

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Even if you can get a copy it won’t work without a dealer log-in.
It can’t be used to alter region either unless you can get a US dealer portal log in.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
There a lot of ebikes that descend better than the Levo. The Levo is one the best overall packages and the Brose is the best motor if you’re going to pedal a lot, but if you focus on the descends the geometry is not the best neither is the suspension tuning.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Hi guys, from Murcia, Spain.
I share my impressions with my mates, about the Vs rail.

I enjoyed watching, but don’t speak Spanish unfortunately.
Could you maybe give a brief summary of your thoughts?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles