Article Specialized Levo SL is a 16.9KG Super Light emtb

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
does anyone know the exact difference between carbon and aluminium frames of the SL in large?
Simple question. Complex answer.

Comp likely to be over 1kg heavier just in the frame but could be more because.

Expert still has alu rear triangle. Uses cheaper carbon so has to use more of it.

S works uses lighter carbon construction than expert plus carbon components such as wheels and rear triangle.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

Expert still has alu rear triangle. Uses cheaper carbon so has to use more of it.

S works uses lighter carbon construction than expert plus carbon components such as wheels and rear triangle.

This is not true!
The Comp Carbon / Expert / Sworks in the SL all have the same frame - all the same carbon, and all with carbon rear triangles.
The only thing that ‘may’ be different is that the Expert has alloy linkages - not sure if the S-Works has carbon linkages?

Last edited:

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB

This is not true!
The Comp Carbon / Expert / Sworks in the SL all have the same frame - all the same carbon, and all with carbon rear triangles.
The only thing that ‘may’ be different is that the Expert has alloy linkages - not sure if the S-Works has carbon linkages?
You are correct. I clicked the normal Levo.

The alu then would be quite a bit heavier than even the comp carbon. At that point may as well get the normal levo.

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
I’m at the Specialized Peaslake Levo SL event on Sunday. I’m hoping it’s a great bike, but that I’ll prefer my 3 month old Levo Comp Carbon. Main reason I bought the Levo was to get more miles of trail riding in in the limited time I have available, which it enables me to do nicely. My rides are nearly always time rather than bike range limited. I’m not into flicks and whips etc, like to ride smooth and as fast as I can and I like the planted feel of Levo.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Just ordered a 29 x 2.6 Specialized Butcher tyre for upfront to see if it fits. It was only £24 inc shipping... so no big loss if it doesn’t.

Wonder if it’ll measure approx 2.7 wide, since the 2.3 measures 2.4?

Since the Levo SL is <18kgs, I guess it can get away with standard enduro tyres rather than heavier eMTB specific ones?
The 2.6 Butcher is listed as 60g heavier than the 2.3 that’s already on the bike.

Reactions: CjP

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You don’t need the heavier EMTB tyres on a regular EMTB, it’s more (in my experience) the tread pattern that helps putting down the power and maintains grip.
inwould choose a tyre based on the terrain your ride and your personal preferences

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As an FYI I have run Minions, Magic Mary’s, Hillbilly’s and E-Wilds (all with heaviest casing option) over the last two years, all tubeless, and no punctures in that time round the Surrey Alps

Last edited:

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Just ordered a 29 x 2.6 Specialized Butcher tyre for upfront to see if it fits. It was only £24 inc shipping... so no big loss if it doesn’t.

Wonder if it’ll measure approx 2.7 wide, since the 2.3 measures 2.4?

Since the Levo SL is <18kgs, I guess it can get away with standard enduro tyres rather than heavier eMTB specific ones?
The 2.6 Butcher is listed as 60g heavier than the 2.3 that’s already on the bike.

I have a 2.6 arriving for mine shortly - Shop didn't get it in with my bike, Its been recommended to me by a Specialized staff that tested the bike, that the 2.6 upfront made it ride nicer.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have a 2.6 arriving for mine shortly - Shop didn't get it in with my bike, Its been recommended to me by a Specialized staff that tested the bike, that the 2.6 upfront made it ride nicer.

I felt on my demo ride that I wanted a little bit wider at the front. My Stumpy has 3.0 tyres on it - so looking down at a skinny 2.3 felt funny. The Trek Rail I had for a few weeks had 2.6, and felt much better.

I’ve always found Specialized tyres to be good - so I thought I’d try their 2.6 before swapping to a different brand.
The rear 2.3 seemed fine. I notice Spesh set up the full fat Levo and Stumpys now with 2.6 front and 2.3 rear...

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
I felt on my demo ride that I wanted a little bit wider at the front. My Stumpy has 3.0 tyres on it - so looking down at a skinny 2.3 felt funny. The Trek Rail I had for a few weeks had 2.6, and felt much better.

I’ve always found Specialized tyres to be good - so I thought I’d try their 2.6 before swapping to a different brand.
The rear 2.3 seemed fine. I notice Spesh set up the full fat Levo and Stumpys now with 2.6 front and 2.3 rear...

This was exactly my feeling too, I'm going to give the spesh one a go before moving over if I want something more.

The 2.35 def feels small on the front, I wont go bigger on the back due to clearance - but I'll probably go 2.6 on rear come summer too.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
This was exactly my feeling too, I'm going to give the spesh one a go before moving over if I want something more.

The 2.35 def feels small on the front, I wont go bigger on the back due to clearance - but I'll probably go 2.6 on rear come summer too.

I don’t think mine will be here for the weekend, so I’ll just do the rear tubeless for now. No point in making a mess at the front for 1 or 2 rides! Can do it next week.

Summer where I am (Scotland) is probably as boggy as winter. Not sure if there will ever be a time for a 2.6 on the rear!

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I reckon 2.6F 2.3R will be sweet.

I'm still running the stock 2.6 Butcher on the rear of my '19 Levo, but really only to wear it out before replacing it.

JSQ

Jan 28, 2020
Finland
FYI A 2,6" Bontrager XR4 fits fine in the rear on a SL Comp Carbon. Swapped rear wheels on our demo Trek Fuel Ex 8 with our Demo SL Comp Carbon. It was a weight savings of over 400 grams. The EX8 has a Bontrager Line Comp 30 wheel with XT 12 Speed cassette. The NX derailleur works fine with the XT cassette btw. Weight of the Medium with above changes is now 17,92 kg with XTR pedals and setup tubeless.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
i switched the back to a 2.3 on my levo yesterday and it seems a bit quicker steering /easier to correct, i like it

I'm guessing the rear would follow a tighter (lower radius) arc with a smaller tyre so might fell a tad snappier.

Or maybe it's not noticeable in reality.

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
Yesterday, test ride.
245BB8A5-613D-4DB2-90D8-893E0C20F87C.jpeg
306BB431-03A1-4007-9087-9897BA96D638.png

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I reckon 2.6F 2.3R will be sweet.

I'm still running the stock 2.6 Butcher on the rear of my '19 Levo, but really only to wear it out before replacing it.
I’m still running my original butchers as rears too. now on second one - they seem to last forever ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles