Article Specialized Levo SL is a 16.9KG Super Light emtb

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
standard for demos seems to be they put a change on your card for the full value of the bike which is cancelled when you return it. and a fee for the demo, which is credited if you purchase.

bike shops have to stay in business, there are plenty of tea-leaves out there (they come in credible packages) and plenty of punters happy to use a demo as free bike hire if they could.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Take a 2020 Levo S-Works with same equipment than the SL and 500Wh battery => 19,6kg

Take a Levo SL with extender (total 480Wh)
18, 2kg

Less power, less autonomy and flexibility for only 1,4 kg, non sense for me

If you think you'd always ride with the Range Extender then, yes, you're probably right.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Anyone know the weights for the 3 lower models, I’ve only seen them for the S Works and Expert. Base must be pushing 20kg with extender battery?

I've heard 19.5kg for the Alloy model.. doesn't seem any lighter imho, when you take smaller battery, lighter forks and tyres.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I've heard 19.5kg for the Alloy model.. doesn't seem any lighter imho, when you take smaller battery, lighter forks and tyres.

wouldn't expect it to be otherwise as that plus the motor is where the weight savings are. there'll be a bit on the frame (smaller tubes, it looks) but not much.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Does this also tell us Spesh don't see any game-changing tech breakthroughs on the short term horizon?

So advancement for now is repackaging and refinement?
Probably. I suspect advances in the next few years will be limited to improved reliability (through waterproofing and iterative internal design improvements like cable sealing an routing) and motor efficiency (assuming the next gen motors all go to higher voltages and lower currents). These are likely to be incremental rather than step change improvements though; we need a significant leap in battery tech to get the energy density packs that allow a "full fat" 500-700Wh trail and enduro bikes between 16-18kg. Even if that leap in battery tech came tomorrow there would still be a big delay before the tech got to ebikes though - automotive and industrial applications will be first in line for the new cells.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
ok so I sort get the weight thing but unless you can afford the 10k for the s works SL what actually is the weight difference between say a levo carbon expert and the SL carbon?
Isn't the pop and flick effect of the SL more down to the shorter chainstays than the lighter weight?
Both rear end and weight. I took the comp carbon out and I've got a light levo 21.5 and the difference was night and day for how it feels.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
So 2O.5kg with battery and call it 21Kg with decent tyres. Add a water bottle (which you can’t cos there’s a battery in the way) and your at 2019 Levo comp carbon weight.

habitually running an extender on an SL? buy a Levo.

water bottle point not relevant - I carry a bottle on my Levo too.

tyres - fair point.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
This was my Levo Comp Carbon weight. Tubeless no pedals. 22.44KG

My Comp Carbon Levo SL is 18.2 KG for reference. Again, tubeless, no pedals.

Levo Comp Carbon in XL:
31312833-C9C2-4C47-BA25-88D9D00B3270.jpeg

Levo SL Comp Carbon:
37F3548F-3592-4528-9D61-4FE6FC21B82E.jpeg

JSQ

Jan 28, 2020
Finland
Probably. I suspect advances in the next few years will be limited to improved reliability (through waterproofing and iterative internal design improvements like cable sealing an routing) and motor efficiency (assuming the next gen motors all go to higher voltages and lower currents). These are likely to be incremental rather than step change improvements though; we need a significant leap in battery tech to get the energy density packs that allow a "full fat" 500-700Wh trail and enduro bikes between 16-18kg. Even if that leap in battery tech came tomorrow there would still be a big delay before the tech got to ebikes though - automotive and industrial applications will be first in line for the new cells.
Just weighed a Stumpjumper Comp in our shop today (alloy) and it was 15,4 kg. I don’t think we’ll ever see a ”full fat” e-bike at 16 kg ☹️

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Isn’t the old adage that it’s £1 a gram to lose weight? Mind you, comparing apples to apples then I think the pricing on these could be more shocking (apart from the S-Works models of course).

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Got a test ride booked for Saturday. Collect it tomorrow evening to get it set up - and then hit the trail early on Saturday morning before the storm comes in! It’s a Large I’m getting, which felt fine to sit on in the store. I still think I may be better with XL as the geometry is more like my Rail.

I’ve done a GoPro video of my Stumpjumper, and then my Rail on the same route... so I’m going to do that route on the Levo SL Expert, and see how they all compare.

Last edited:

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Isn’t the old adage that it’s £1 a gram to lose weight? Mind you, comparing apples to apples then I think the pricing on these could be more shocking (apart from the S-Works models of course).

they ain't cheap bicycles but yeah I was braced for more.

tho I also have the take into account a £1500 hit if I flipped my 19 Levo.

Blinkie

Jan 11, 2020
aberdeen
Got a test ride booked for Saturday. Collect it tomorrow evening to get it set up - and then hit the trail early on Saturday morning before the storm comes in! It’s a Large I’m getting, which felt fine to sit on in the store. I still think I may be better with XL as the geometry is more like my Rail.

I’ve done a GoPro video of my Stumpjumper, and then my Rail on the same route... so I’m going to do that route on the Levo SL Expert, and see how they all compare.

Yes you have me to thank for that, cancelled my weekend demo in favour of midweek due to forecast

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Yes you have me to thank for that, cancelled my weekend demo in favour of midweek due to forecast

Forecast looks a tad windy... but should be ok up until about 11am. After that it’s up to about 50mph winds. I just want to compare the same climbs as I’ve done on the Rail with the SL and see what it / I am capable of.
I should manage that in 2 hours.
Saturday will save me taking a day off work though.

From the sound of it, someone is booked in for Sunday, as they need it back for about 5pm so they can prep it. They’re building it tomorrow!!

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
I like the punch my normal Levo provides so I am staying put but damn 10lbs is a lot! Looking forward to a lighter full juice motor with smaller/lighter battery options. Although I'm glad to have a 700wh after toasting my 500wh battery in about 8 miles on a super demanding ride in NM.

michaeldorian

Jul 25, 2018
California
Went to my local shop to check them out. You can easily pedal this bike without power. It felt like a regular bike. Kind of amazing. It definitely was a bit noisier then the LEVO. At high candence you can really hear the whine. It felt as light as a aluminum stumpy comp picking them up back to back.

The S-Works is gorgeous of course. And the surprise was the comp carbon in the berry color. It was pretty unique!

IMG_5775.jpg
IMG_5788.jpg
IMG_5787.jpg
424254C2-FF14-4701-A36E-3840CF95AC36.jpg

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
This was my Levo Comp Carbon weight. Tubeless no pedals. 22.44KG

My Comp Carbon Levo SL is 18.2 KG for reference. Again, tubeless, no pedals.

Levo Comp Carbon in XL:
View attachment 25534

Levo SL Comp Carbon:
View attachment 25536
4.2kg makes a big difference! 20% weight reduction. People talk about all these numbers but neglect to notice weight. Imagine 20% more battery, or power! It shouldn't be knocked that people want those numbers in weight reduction.

snowbro

Jun 1, 2018
USA
They need to do one with the new enduro's new suspension design. Its 40% more efficient in pedaling than the current stumpjumper, not to mention, is a ton better on the downhill.

I'm fine with less power, but if I am having to pedal it harder, that energy shouldnt be so wasted. There is no way that spesh doesnt update the SJ in the next year or two with the new suspension. If you look at the "xray" promo schematics they have released of the sl, they have room to do that low mounted suspension.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles