Article Specialized Levo SL is a 16.9KG Super Light emtb

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Has anyone watched the Specilized promo video for the Levo SL on their Instagram?

That bloke 1 minute into it the advert looks awfully familiar :unsure:

reckon @Rob Hancill is applying for his equity card as we speak :D :D

all those straight gears in that motor will make some noise, only way to quiet them I guess is bevelled gears or belt but it sounded quite noisy to the point where I would find it irritating.

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
I guess it’ll be lighter to push or carry when it breaks down on the trail. Hopefully they‘ve put some effort into reliability and build quality. I’d sacrifice a few kgs to have an ebike with proper waterproofing and a reliable motor. Maybe this is time will tell

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
ebike with proper waterproofing and a reliable motor
I'm also a bit skeptical here, I think it's hard to say if this motor will actually be better until it's used in a mountain biking application, specially the waterproofing scenario. I wouldn't be surprised if there are new issues that weren't seen much on the road bike version.

snowbro

Jun 1, 2018
USA
They said they pressure washed them directly in testing and had no problems. I think it will probably be fine riding through some shallow rivers (like I do anyway with my levo).

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Awesome video @Rob Hancill and @TheBikePilot, was like watching a movie, watched quite a few reviews and the video of you guys stands out a mile.
this is the bike for me and I’ve been waiting for but will have to wait as enjoying the Megatower so much, just a shame for a few extra grams they could of put a 36 on it and at least a coil, as the dpx isn’t a very good shock after long days riding.
myb there trying for it to not overlap to much with a levo, but be interesting to see one with 36s and a cooler or better shoc.
Agreed! Three video was so Pro! Well done Rob and BP. Best video to date for content, quality, audio, the lot making waves!

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Has anyone watched the Specilized promo video for the Levo SL on their Instagram?

That bloke 1 minute into it the advert looks awfully familiar :unsure:

reckon @Rob Hancill is applying for his equity card as we speak :D :D

all those straight gears in that motor will make some noise, only way to quiet them I guess is bevelled gears or belt but it sounded quite noisy to the point where I would find it irritating.
This I need to find out. E8000 ala rest I couldn't live with. Please don't be need that noisy! The brose is perfect at noise levels. Not too intrusive

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
ebike with proper waterproofing and a reliable motor
I'm also a bit skeptical here, I think it's hard to say if this motor will actually be better until it's used in a mountain biking application, specially the waterproofing scenario. I wouldn't be surprised if there are new issues that weren't seen much on the road bike version.
Ala levo revisited. If it ticks the boxes I'm jumping balls deep again. This bike sounds like the bike I wanted 2 years ago and dreamed about since getting the levo.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
... all those straight gears in that motor will make some noise, only way to quiet them I guess is bevelled gears or belt but it sounded quite noisy to the point where I would find it irritating.
Had a chance to ride an S-Works SL today briefly on pavement. Yes, the motor is a bit noisier than my 2019 Levo which is pretty quiet. However, the noise level was low even pushing it hard in Turbo mode, and on trails I think I'd only notice it climbing at slow speeds where there's not a lot of other noise to mask it. Don't consider it a negative at all. I'm not sure where Rob had the mic when he was recording the motor sound in the video. I never heard anything that "loud".

Sweet bike, by the way. Just lacks the punch of the regular Levo. Also, no Acceleration Setting option in Mission Control. But that AXS seatpost, Oh my, I want to be so spoiled!

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Had a chance to ride an S-Works SL today briefly on pavement. Yes, the motor is a bit noisier than my 2019 Levo which is pretty quiet. However, the noise level was low even pushing it hard in Turbo mode, and on trails I think I'd only notice it climbing at slow speeds where there's not a lot of other noise to mask it. Don't consider it a negative at all. I'm not sure where Rob had the mic when he was recording the motor sound in the video. I never heard anything that "loud".
I will have to go for a ride & check it out. A Mahle at 48V in a lightweight Levo sounds pretty good to me.
ahr0chm6ly9mb3rvcy5yzw5ucmfklw5ld3muzguvzjmvnc80odqvndg0mtq5lxv5cwfid2zuzwcyay1zcgvjawfsaxplzh-jpg.16015

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
nice bike and some very good engineering ideas, IP rated motor, waterproof plugs constant battery connection. All sounds like the problems we have been having have been addressed.
Well it doesn't make me very happy, while the spesh engineers have been beavering away on the sl it looks like all the levo and kenevo owners have been a bit "overlooked" what about fixing our crappy power cables, what about fixing our TCU's that fill up with water if you sneeze on them, what about some quality control on the motors that have to get replaced, some guys have had up to five motor replacements in a bike thats not even a year old WTF!!
between my wife and I we have spent around £30k on spesh ebikes, how about a bit of reengineering to fix our problems!!
Just a little observation from the demo videos , it’s all well n good spouting the IP rating of this special Gore-tex prepped new motor and test it in SA in summer ....WTAF? ! Test it on the boggy moors on the Lancashire/Yorkshire border, crank deep in slop and sandstone grinding paste then I might be impressed?

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Just a little observation from the demo videos , it’s all well n good spouting the IP rating of this special Gore-tex prepped new motor and test it in SA in summer ....WTAF? ! Test it on the boggy moors on the Lancashire/Yorkshire border, crank deep in slop and sandstone grinding paste then I might be impressed?

Like this? Up near Burnley way.
Specialized Turbo Levo SL Comp Carbon | First Ride Video

michaeldorian

Jul 25, 2018
California
For those in the know. Can you comment on the weight difference between the Carbon and Aluminum Comp LEVO SL? Looks like the build between the 2 are identical. Curious how much weight you're actually saving between materials for it to be worth 1K difference.

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
February 4th 2020, the day non electric mountain bikes became obsolete. Bought it, love it. Maybe the best bike I’ve ridden. As much snap out of corners as my evil offering and power to take the sting out of any climb. Biggest overlooked point compared to my 19 Levo is if it’s turned off there is no resistance, it totally decouples. I could pedal it out of anywhere with the 1x12. The OG levo is a bit of a pig to fly home dead stick. I rode 2 rides today one 2000ft 14 mile lap on the SL and a 4000ft 23 mile loop on my all coil 19 Levo. They are so different I’m probably the 0.01% that is lucky enough to own both and one doesn’t replace the other. But man does that SL ride great!

2E1AC7A8-8CF9-4140-B3C9-BBBBB8B87DFE.jpeg

2wheeledwalbert

Apr 16, 2019
Gloucestershire, England
February 4th 2020, the day non electric mountain bikes became obsolete. Bought it, love it. Maybe the best bike I’ve ridden. As much snap out of corners as my evil offering and power to take the sting out of any climb. Biggest overlooked point compared to my 19 Levo is if it’s turned off there is no resistance, it totally decouples. I could pedal it out of anywhere with the 1x12. The OG levo is a bit of a pig to fly home dead stick. I rode 2 rides today one 2000ft 14 mile lap on the SL and a 4000ft 23 mile loop on my all coil 19 Levo. They are so different I’m probably the 0.01% that is lucky enough to own both and one doesn’t replace the other. But man does that SL ride great!

View attachment 25463
Sweet ride ? how noisy is the motor? Seems crazy loud in robs video

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
How was the motor in the puddles ? I’ve ridden these trails around hurstwood, ok but shoulda climbed up to gorple rocks and the soggy off piste stuff on the moors ! ?

Agreed but I think this as close as it’s going to get to a representative test for us northerners. The next step is a test ride. I’m willing to bet that given the lauding of the new sealing this is going to be better than the Brose Levo and there’s plenty of those about.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
For those in the know. Can you comment on the weight difference between the Carbon and Aluminum Comp LEVO SL? Looks like the build between the 2 are identical. Curious how much weight you're actually saving between materials for it to be worth 1K difference.
It was close to 1kg from memory with the levo. Something I couldn't justify for 2k on the original levo lineup.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If Spesh want to send me some demo bikes for a couple of months, I'm happy to setup a free demo centre.. :)

I can perform some extensive real world crash testing at the same time.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
well I posted this video link on some of the 'normal' facebook groups and pretty much got nothing but hate.. so, will this even bridge the gap as expected given the reaction or is it just a matter of time ?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Got a '19 Levo, very happy with it. Robs comments on geometry are pluses for me (he's pretty tall! - I'm not and super long reach is a negative for me).

Looks to me like the SL vs full gas Levo is trading turbo mode for a 9 pound weight saving, 15mm shorter chain stays, rolling both my Levo and my bio powered FS trail bike into 1 bike, and plausible fly-ability.

Absolute no brainer to me.

I use turbo mode because it's there but would happily do without. I still work hard all the same.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
why is that a deal breaker for you?

Couple of things:

1. My (secure) storage has no power supply, so I'll be moving the Levo SL around the house to get it charged for a few hours then put away. Can 'live with that' but putting up with downsides is difficult when you're spending £7.5k.

2. I like to do day long rides, but wont be able to take the battery in to a cafe/pub to charge at lunch time. The Extender would certainly help here, so I think I am over this objection now.

I am coming around to the fixed battery... It might be okay...

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Couple of things:

1. My (secure) storage has no power supply, so I'll be moving the Levo SL around the house to get it charged for a few hours then put away. Can 'live with that' but putting up with downsides is difficult when you're spending £7.5k.

2. I like to do day long rides, but wont be able to take the battery in to a cafe/pub to charge at lunch time. The Extender would certainly help here, so I think I am over this objection now.

I am coming around to the fixed battery... It might be okay...

good points thanks.

one thing I'm thinking re range is this will be a lot easier to pedal unpowered than the full fat Levo. I'm OK with bio-power in the mix.

Gotama

Apr 12, 2019
GU5 9hs
Can anyone with a better handle on it than i do suggest a setting for the Specialized app on the current levo that would mirror the asssitance of the SL on trail mode. No chance of finding an XL demo I suspect so may as well use my current levo to test how the assistance feels relative to 'normal'.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Can anyone with a better handle on it than i do suggest a setting for the Specialized app on the current levo that would mirror the asssitance of the SL on trail mode. No chance of finding an XL demo I suspect so may as well use my current levo to test how the assistance feels relative to 'normal'.

Rob says in the video that Turbo feels similar to a FF Levo in Trail mode.

Presumably the configuration on the SL is configurable as it is on the FF.

But if you work on the basic factory statistics that the motor is about half as powerful in terms of watts, but delivers a lower but squarer torque curve, then limit your FF (Full Fat) levo to 50% maximum would probably give you an idea of the SL on Turbo. Set the limit on the FF to 35% to give a very rough idea of Trail in default on the SL. The SL is also lighter and Rob states the motor has virtually no drag, so if it's better than what those numbers propose, then that's a bonus.

It's a totally different motor, so no matter what you do, you won't be able to emulate it exactly, but that might give you a rough idea what you're playing with.

Ride 5 minutes with the motor off first and no matter how low your settings are, it will feels amazing afterwards :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles