Article Specialized Levo SL is a 16.9KG Super Light emtb

Gotama

Apr 12, 2019
GU5 9hs
Can then fly with your bike and take 2 x 160Wh range extenders in hand luggage.

Interesting. So you'd run it with no battery in the frame, just one range extender on the frame and one in the pack.

For me it's a shame they didn't go more the Evo/Kenevo way with the geometry, specifically reach, lets get the XL up around 500/510, the seat angle steeper and a degree off the head angle. Oh and whilst you're at it change the suspension curve so i don't need a 700lb spring at 100kg. The levo just about works for me at 6ft 3 because of the longer chainstays but i suspect with shorter stays it will start to feel too short at speed in rougher terrain. Is it too much to ask for a Levo Evo SL:)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Is it too much to ask for a Levo Evo SL:)

My guess: they worked on the motor, battery, electrics and frame integration over the geometry to get out a lightweight EMTB to market. Based on the Levo geo as tried and tested (safe).

Now they've nailed the electrics I hope we see more modern geo / bikes for taller riders.

Interesting. So you'd run it with no battery in the frame, just one range extender on the frame and one in the pack.
No battery on frame at all, 2 range extenders in backpack / hand luggage.

Nebben00

May 13, 2019
Sweden
Publication biased!? Or did I missed some thing?

So what is so groundbreaking compared with Lapierre fazuabased ezesty? €7000 17.5kg 60Nm 250wh battery 1.4kg battery weight proper enduro geo, possible to ride i bare (analog) at 16kg. Specialized 16.9kg 30Nm 320wh battery xc allmountain geo at twice The price €140k.
BULLS did a am fazua speced bike under 16kg.
What is THE big deal? Smells like fanboys all The way to me?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Hey the first of the Ebike world to catch up with all the aftermarket motors, first of the 48volt units. 2 years down the line and they might just think about 52volts where all the E tools are already and all the after market motors are heading.

michaeldorian

Jul 25, 2018
California
Just been through the specs, and the base £5k model is exactly the same spec as the £6k version.

You are paying £1k for a Carbon Frame only. Sorry but that's just insane £500 understandable, but I dont really see the point in the £6k model currently.

Do you happen to know the weight difference between carbon and aluminum just in frame weight?

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Thanks, Rob! Excellent first review, and your enthusiasm is infectious.

Re geometry - Long, low, slack is not the end all. There are technical trails where short chainstays, a short front-center, and a high bottom bracket are advantageous. The SL sounds like a step in the playful direction.

Question: how much louder is the SL motor compared to the Brose? (a quiet Brose)

Cheers! :p

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Hey the first of the Ebike world to catch up with all the aftermarket motors, first of the 48volt units. 2 years down the line and they might just think about 52volts where all the E tools are already and all the after market motors are heading.
Rocky Mountain Powerplay is 48V and has been since release in 2017.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I would also like to hear @Rob Hancill comments on motor noise vs the turbo levo. From his video it definitely sounds louder and more unpleasant pitch. Could be a deal breaker for me as I like a quiet ride. But everything else about it looks amazing (except the price).

Yzlvr

Jun 23, 2019
USA
I would also like to hear @Rob Hancill comments on motor noise vs the turbo levo. From his video it definitely sounds louder and more unpleasant pitch. Could be a deal breaker for me as I like a quiet ride. But everything else about it looks amazing (except the price).

Agreed, the pricing is pretty outrageous...

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’ll do some comparisons. Louder, yes. Higher pitched. Probably a little quieter than the Shimano E8000. Not by much at higher cadences. More like a RC car pitch.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Publication biased!? Or did I missed some thing?

So what is so groundbreaking compared with Lapierre fazuabased ezesty? €7000 17.5kg 60Nm 250wh battery 1.4kg battery weight proper enduro geo, possible to ride i bare (analog) at 16kg. Specialized 16.9kg 30Nm 320wh battery xc allmountain geo at twice The price €140k.
BULLS did a am fazua speced bike under 16kg.
What is THE big deal? Smells like fanboys all The way to me?

Honestly the Fazua motor is nothing like this one. To start, at a cadence of 90 rpm the Fazua motor basically has no assistance left in the tank.

Levo SL motor will give 240 watts of support up to 130 rpm. Think really quick pedal rotations over a rock... you still have support.

The Fazua motor is 1 KG heavier. Has nasty ratchet sound when you stop peddling.

The eZesty weighs 18.4 KG and has 20% smaller battery.

Fazua motor has 15 degrees of rotation before the motor engages.

If the eZesty was a great bike I’d tell you.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
What a great bike, it's a shame the battery is not quick and easy to remove like the regular Levo. My bike lives in the shed and the battery in the house for charging and temperature, if it was kept in the house I'd be looking to swap. SHMBO would have something to say if suggested it!

The add on battery is brilliant, pity they don't offer one for the regular levo :(

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
This sounds like the bike I've been waiting for. Demo nearly sorted and could have one by next week

Motor noise is a concern. Geom not as I like the levo, just wanna feel the lighter bike as I'm an active rider who uses very little support and what the shorter stays feels like.

Interesting all models have fact 11m carbon, so no weight difference. As I'm swapping parts out the comp carbon makes sense, but none of the colours except founders edition and sworks float my boat

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
Awesome video @Rob Hancill and @TheBikePilot, was like watching a movie, watched quite a few reviews and the video of you guys stands out a mile.
this is the bike for me and I’ve been waiting for but will have to wait as enjoying the Megatower so much, just a shame for a few extra grams they could of put a 36 on it and at least a coil, as the dpx isn’t a very good shock after long days riding.
myb there trying for it to not overlap to much with a levo, but be interesting to see one with 36s and a cooler or better shoc.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
OPTIONS

Thats the best thing about this Levo, to have the options to go whatever you like or prefer. Less power but also less weight, or more power more weight. Choose what you want.

I don’t know nothing more than that many people would desired this kind of ebikes we’re available long time ago.

Anything else is a sterile debate. The problem is when they killing the options! But create new ones is not good news, are great news!

@Rob Hancill thank for the prime exclusive

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
Honestly the Fazua motor is nothing like this one. To start, at a cadence of 90 rpm the Fazua motor basically has no assistance left in the tank.

Levo SL motor will give 240 watts of support up to 130 rpm. Think really quick pedal rotations over a rock... you still have support.

The Fazua motor is 1 KG heavier. Has nasty ratchet sound when you stop peddling.

The eZesty weighs 18.4 KG and has 20% smaller battery.

Fazua motor has 15 degrees of rotation before the motor engages.

If the eZesty was a great bike I’d tell you.

Hi Rob,
Great Video.
Have you ridden the Bulls WILD FLOW EVO SL . It tips the scales under 16kg. I would love to see a comparison.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
In 10 years would be worth around $1.000, if not used of course.:)
Specialized thinks, that with this special editions would be like buying limited edition Hyper/Sports Car that go up in value over the years, not down.. :ROFLMAO:

Why not have both ?‍♂️

Tell you the truth, I almost did not buy it as it didn’t have a Yamaha motor. Merh, it’s only money right ?‍♂️
1B8E0142-D613-41C1-8A06-82D092FE5579.jpeg

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Rob, did they give an explanation of why they used plastic for one of the gears?

The dinosaur in me would love to see a 2019 focus jam compared to the alloy sl.....this is the bike focus SHOULD have released for 2020.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Yeah, I was really howling on that uphill climb in the video. The one downfall of higher voltage is a corresponding increase in RPM of the motor hence the higher pitch.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Yeah, I was really howling on that uphill climb in the video. The one downfall of higher voltage is a corresponding increase in RPM of the motor hence the higher pitch.
Also means they can run a lower KV of the motor, which can allow less amps and better torque

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nice to see the ip rating on the motor, but IIRC the TCu is the weakest pint on the full fat Levo in terms of warter resistance, have they sorted that out? Oterhwise you are probably going end up spending more time riding it without the battery out than in!

Most exciting thing for me is when they produce a more powerful version of this motor and kick Brose into the grass

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles