Article Specialized Levo SL is a 16.9KG Super Light emtb

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
ROB could we get a video of you dead lifting the bike please? 10 reps, over the head...
P1010863.jpg

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
lot of appeal in this bike for me but some of the climbing around here that my levo can do might be too much for it.. the IP rating is a big advantage, love the fact that the power is through the cadence range and the range extender is available straight away from spesh ! nice

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I'm torn!!

I've been riding Stumpjumper's for the last 10+ years, and still have an Expert.

I have some trails that I cycle round, that I just don't have the legs for... and thought an EMTB would be the answer. I spent months of researching, and eventually opted for a Trek Rail 9.9. The Levo was a close second, but the component spec of the Rail 9.9 v's the Levo S-Works sold me. I also got a decent discount which I couldn't get on the Levo.

I've now had the bike for 2 weeks - and have been having a ball on it. I already feel like I've gone against all of my own wishes, because I've been riding mainly in EMTB mode. My intention was to ride in ECO all of the time, and still get the exercise I want - but get a little bit of a boost when needed. The truth is, riding the Rail in ECO is a chore... and feels tougher than riding my Stumpy! EMTB means I can climb things I'd never have attempted before... and I get a work out in different ways.

What I originally wanted was something that I could ride as normal, but then get a wee boost on the technical uphills when my legs run out.
I think if the Levo SL had been available 4 weeks ago, then it would probably be the one I'd have bought. I'm a great one for buying something, and then wishing I'd bought something else - which is why I spent months pondering over what to buy!!

I'm only half way into my "30 day satisfaction" period with the Rail, and can swap it for something else. Now I've tasted EMTB power, I'm afraid that the SL wouldn't offer enough - despite it being what I originally wanted.

Part of me feels that I'm happy with what I have, and to stick with it. The other part thinks the Levo SL is what I originally wanted - and that I have this 2 week "exchange" window that I could make use of.

Any advice?!

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Just been through the specs, and the base £5k model is exactly the same spec as the £6k version.

You are paying £1k for a Carbon Frame only. Sorry but that's just insane £500 understandable, but I dont really see the point in the £6k model currently.

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
I decided to keep the 2020 Levo Comp I got just last week despite it still being in the return window. I'm 190cm tall and 100kg (large build) naked weight. There is a lot of wind resistance and weight for my bike to carry, I think the Levo with bigger motor and 700 Watt hour battery is more suited. I can also drop my weight down to 96kg to make up the difference :ROFLMAO:

I appreciate the changes around making the motor more water resistant and also the charge connector is designed in a much more water proofed way. I guess this explains why they didn't address the 2019 levo flaws on the 2020 levo, busy making the SL?

There are so many reviews already out for this bike, I can definitely see the Specialized marketing machine at work right now.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
I have ordered and paid for the new limited edition Turbo Levo SL S-Works, as they are only making 250 of them. At $26500 Au, I consider it an investment and it will be locked in the vault at the bank, and viewed once a month on a Saturday, by appointment.
In 10 years would be worth around $1.000, if not used of course.:)
Specialized thinks, that with this special editions would be like buying limited edition Hyper/Sports Car that go up in value over the years, not down.. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
I decided to keep the 2020 Levo Comp I got just last week despite it still being in the return window. I'm 190cm tall and 100kg (large build) naked weight. There is a lot of wind resistance and weight for my bike to carry, I think the Levo with bigger motor and 700 Watt hour battery is more suited. I can also drop my weight down to 96kg to make up the difference :ROFLMAO:
"Drop" ;) I get ya.

Blinkie

Jan 11, 2020
aberdeen
I'm torn!!

I've been riding Stumpjumper's for the last 10+ years, and still have an Expert.

I have some trails that I cycle round, that I just don't have the legs for... and thought an EMTB would be the answer. I spent months of researching, and eventually opted for a Trek Rail 9.9. The Levo was a close second, but the component spec of the Rail 9.9 v's the Levo S-Works sold me. I also got a decent discount which I couldn't get on the Levo.

I've now had the bike for 2 weeks - and have been having a ball on it. I already feel like I've gone against all of my own wishes, because I've been riding mainly in EMTB mode. My intention was to ride in ECO all of the time, and still get the exercise I want - but get a little bit of a boost when needed. The truth is, riding the Rail in ECO is a chore... and feels tougher than riding my Stumpy! EMTB means I can climb things I'd never have attempted before... and I get a work out in different ways.

What I originally wanted was something that I could ride as normal, but then get a wee boost on the technical uphills when my legs run out.
I think if the Levo SL had been available 4 weeks ago, then it would probably be the one I'd have bought. I'm a great one for buying something, and then wishing I'd bought something else - which is why I spent months pondering over what to buy!!

I'm only half way into my "30 day satisfaction" period with the Rail, and can swap it for something else. Now I've tasted EMTB power, I'm afraid that the SL wouldn't offer enough - despite it being what I originally wanted.

Part of me feels that I'm happy with what I have, and to stick with it. The other part thinks the Levo SL is what I originally wanted - and that I have this 2 week "exchange" window that I could make use of.

Any advice?!

This where I am enjoy the non ebike, but just can't keep up with buddies on the climbs, I just want the assist for the climb to top of trail. Don't want a full on ebike.

Will see if EBC will have a demo in sometime soon.

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
I can’t imagine paying $16525 for the top level bike here in the USA. The low weight is only because it has low power. Basically makes it a super expensive Stumpjumper with a little boost for climbing. I have a 19 Stumpjumper carbon and a 2020 Reign E. The Reign is much more fun to jump and trail ride because of its weight and stability. I was looking at a 2020 Honda CRF450 works edition the other day and thinking how expensive it was at $11998. Now I think it’s a steal in comparison to a plastic bike with a tiny electric motor and a small battery!

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
nice bike and some very good engineering ideas, IP rated motor, waterproof plugs constant battery connection. All sounds like the problems we have been having have been addressed.
Well it doesn't make me very happy, while the spesh engineers have been beavering away on the sl it looks like all the levo and kenevo owners have been a bit "overlooked" what about fixing our crappy power cables, what about fixing our TCU's that fill up with water if you sneeze on them, what about some quality control on the motors that have to get replaced, some guys have had up to five motor replacements in a bike thats not even a year old WTF!!
between my wife and I we have spent around £30k on spesh ebikes, how about a bit of reengineering to fix our problems!!

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
nice bike and some very good engineering ideas, IP rated motor, waterproof plugs constant battery connection. All sounds like the problems we have been having have been addressed.
Well it doesn't make me very happy, while the spesh engineers have been beavering away on the sl it looks like all the levo and kenevo owners have been a bit "overlooked" what about fixing our crappy power cables, what about fixing our TCU's that fill up with water if you sneeze on them, what about some quality control on the motors that have to get replaced, some guys have had up to five motor replacements in a bike thats not even a year old WTF!!
between my wife and I we have spent around £30k on spesh ebikes, how about a bit of reengineering to fix our problems!!

Because they've already got your money...

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
2 bolts to drop the motor. takes about 20 mins.

Can then fly with your bike and take 2 x 160Wh range extenders in hand luggage.
I wasn't aware if this rule. 300Wh max or 2x160Wh.
Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours

That makes me think, should they have made the battery pack 300Wh rather than 320? Using a 3400mAh battery we get 318,2Wh. Using a 3200mAh cell we get 299,5Wh. And the actual difference in capacity may be less than it sounds. A 3200mAh can be made with lower internal resistance, so you will have less energy wasted as heat. This can make a difference when riding at high assistance in low-ish outside temperatures, and when the battery is runing low. So, at most a minor sacrifice of range to have an airplane legal emtb!?

Did they address this at the event @Rob Hancill?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I wasn't aware if this rule. 300Wh max or 2x160Wh.
Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours

That makes me think, should they have made the battery pack 300Wh rather than 320? Using a 3400mAh battery we get 318,2Wh. Using a 3200mAh cell we get 299,5Wh. And the actual difference in capacity may be less than it sounds. A 3200mAh can be made with lower internal resistance, so you will have less energy wasted as heat. This can make a difference when riding at high assistance in low-ish outside temperatures, and when the battery is runing low. So, at most a minor sacrifice of range to have an airplane legal emtb!?

Did they address this at the event @Rob Hancill?
I think it’s country dependent. So Europe the Max is 160wh (ive not checked)

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I think it’s country dependent. So Europe the Max is 160wh (ive not checked)
It seems you're right. I assumed the European flight safety rules reflected the US rules. But in EU there is no 300Wh rule, only 160Wh x2. Still, they were pretty close to making an emtb that could be brought on planes in the US.

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Looks good, will have a better look on Sat at the open day

Still no frame, motor and battery only option though

Hopefully Spesh will sort this out soon with the Levo and the Levo SL

Germany were pretty much the only ones to get limited number of frame motor and battery only Levo's in 2020 and they were all s-work versions

I like to build a bike to my spec preference not a manufactures price point

Im sure Spesh would shift many more Levo SL's if they offered them as frame, motor and battery only

Topov

Just been out for a ride on one.... First impression are :Need to size up, I am 5'8" and needed to ride a large to feel comfortable, the bike is light, the bike is nimble, the bike is underspecced whatever model you decide on, the bike is perfect for the die hard Mtber wanting to move into Emtb.
For me to sum up the power, it is more semi-skimmed than full fat and I wont comment on the price

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
Seems pretty simple. If you're mostly an eco guy the SL makes total sense. If you want to blast trails as fast as possible keep your normal levo. Living in Colorado with crazy climbs I want all the torque and battery as possible.

I think the SL will be able to convert the die hards that have been on the fence.

Hope to see at least an option of a lighter battery with add on offered on the normal Levo. For park days it would be nice to drop 4-5lbs.

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
I'm torn!!

Any advice?!
I would keep what you have if you enjoy the fast speeds. Once my wife and I tasted the Turbo 2 years ago we haven't looked back and just laugh about the thought of using lower support levels unless you need to extend the range. The extra weight isn't all bad. It makes the bike feel more stable in the high speed/nasty sections.

What you originally want before you demo and what you end up wanting are often two different things. I came in thinking I just wanted an extra boost but love the adrenaline I get from the higher speeds.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Two things;
1. Stop being so lazy. ?
2. Ride a short distance with the assist off, then switch over to Eco, makes the assist seem more assisty.

That's exactly what I did on Saturday... but after a few mins of slogging up the steep fire road at 5mph, I switched back to EMTB, and continued at about 12mph!
With the bike set to off, it feels like you're cycling through thick mud.

The more I think about it, I think I'll stick with my full fat Rail as I can drain the battery on that in about 2 hours in EMTB mode and still feel like I've had a solid work out - whilst actually enjoying the 1500m of climbing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles