Levo SL Gen 1 Specialized Levo SL FAQ

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi all,

Have seen a few questions about different things popping up so here is some info that may help that I have in a document from Specialized.

WHAT’S THE WEIGHT RANGE WITHIN THE LEVO SL LINE?
Weights vary by size and model. The S-Works Levo SL, for example, comes in at 17.35Kg/38.25lb (for a size Large with tubes) while the Aluminium Comp comes in at 19.4Kg/42.7lbs (also in size Large).

WHAT SIZE TIRES DOES THE LEVO SL COME EQUIPPED WITH?
The Turbo Levo SL comes with 29x2.3” tires. Rob - I measured them at an actual width of 2.4" at 25 psi.

WHAT THE MAXIMUM TIRE SIZE THAT WILL FIT ON THE LEVO SL?
It may be possible to accommodate some manufacturers’ 2.4 tires (with minimal clearance), riders will have to verify this on a case-by-case basis since tire size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Rob - I measured up a 2.5” Maxxis DHF and it actually measured just over 2.4 so that should fit OK.

MOTOR AND BATTERY WEIGHT:
1.95KG for the Motor and 1.8KG for the internal 320Wh battery

WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM FORK TRAVEL THAT I CAN RUN ON THE LEVO SL FRAME?
All Turbo Levo SL models were designed around, tested, and equipped with, 150-millimeter forks. We do not recommend running 160mm (or greater) travel forks.

HOW MUCH SUSPENSION TRAVEL DOES THE LEVO SL POSSESS?
The Turbo Levo SL features 150 millimeters of travel, front and rear.

WHICH REAR SHOCKS CAN I RUN ON THE LEVO SL?
The Turbo Levo SL accepts standard-mount shocks with a 210-millimeter, eye-to-eye length and 52.5-millimeter stroke.

CAN RIDERS CHOOSE TO RUN A MIXED WHEEL (29/27.5) COMBINATION ON THE LEVO SL?
The Turbo Levo SL was designed around matching (front and rear) 29-inch wheels. Though a non “plus-size” 27.5 rear tire will fit, running that smaller-diameter rear wheel will substantially change the Levo SL’s geometry—and not for the better. Even with the flip chip, the Levo SL’s frame was not designed to have adequate BB height/crank to ground clearance with this kind of “mixed” wheel setup.

WHAT’S THE WEIGHT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE SPECIALIZED SL 1.1 AND SPECIALIZED BROSE 2.1 MOTORS?
The SL 1.1 motor weighs 1,100 grams (2.4 pounds) less than the Levo and Kenevo’s 2.1 motor.

HOW MUCH DOES THE SPECIALIZED SL 1.1 MOTOR WEIGH?
At just 1.95 kilograms (4.3 pounds), the SL 1.1 Motor is essentially half the weight of other crank-based motors. The magnesium motor casing is one of several advancements that help make the motor so light.

HOW MUCH POWER DOES THE NEW SPECIALIZED SL 1.1 MOTOR DELIVER?
Our Specialized SL 1.1 motor amplifies rider power up to 240 watts and 35Nm of both peak and sustained power. We tuned our motor to deliver constant, strong support across a wide cadence range for a very natural feel while pedaling.

HOW DOES THE SPECIALIZED SL 1.1 MOTOR COMPARE TO THE FAZUA EVATION MOTOR—IN TERMS OF WEIGHT AND POWER?
The Specialized SL 1.1 motor is a full kilogram (2.2 pounds) lighter than the FAZUA Evation motor. The SL 1.1 motor also features full-powered support through a wider cadence range (10-120 RPM). The FAZUA, by contrast, exhibits a significant support drop at cadences above 90 RPM.

HOW MUCH WEIGHT DOES THE RANGE EXTENDER ADD TO THE TURBO LEVO SL?
The Range Extender battery weighs 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds).

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CHARGE THE TURBO LEVO SL?
You can expect your Turbo Levo SL’s internal battery to charge from 3% to 100% in approximately 2 hours and 35 minutes. A Range Extender will charge from 3% to 100% in approximately 3 hours and 20 minutes. Both the internal and Range Extender batteries will charge (simultaneously) from 3% to 100% in approximately 3 hours 20 minutes with a “Y” cable.

CAN THE INTERNAL BATTERY BE REMOVED FOR CHARGING?
Yes, it can. However, the Turbo Levo SL’s internal battery is fully integrated into the frame and is intended to be charged while in the frame. In order to get the battery out of the frame, you need to remove the motor first. It’s this kind of integration that allows the Turbo Levo SL to be so light. If you want to fly with your Turbo Levo SL, the internal battery needs to be removed. You can carry a Range Extender in your carry-on luggage and when you arrive at your location, you can ride the Turbo Levo SL with just the Range Extender.

Last edited:

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
CAN RIDERS CHOOSE TO RUN A MIXED WHEEL (29/27.5) COMBINATION ON THE LEVO SL?
The Turbo Levo SL was designed around matching (front and rear) 29-inch wheels. Though a non “plus-size” 27.5 rear tire will fit, running that smaller-diameter rear wheel will substantially change the Levo SL’s geometry—and not for the better. Even with the flip chip, the Levo SL’s frame was not designed to have adequate BB height/crank to ground clearance with this kind of “mixed” wheel setup.

The SL has a flip chip? I never noticed this on the demo bike. How much does it slacken? 0.5°?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
thanks Rob.

also ..

IS THE FRAME DESIGNED AND WARRANTIED FOR RIDING WITHOUT THE INTERNAL BATTERY INSTALLED?

I've seen the bike described as 'flyable' by removing the internal battery and packing range extenders in hand luggage.

Can Specialized confirm the riding an SL without the internal battery installed is in the acceptable use parameters?

Ok the last item in the FAQ 'almost' confirms this.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
thanks Rob.

also ..

IS THE FRAME DESIGNED AND WARRANTIED FOR RIDING WITHOUT THE INTERNAL BATTERY INSTALLED?

I've seen the bike described as 'flyable' by removing the internal battery and packing range extenders in hand luggage.

Can Specialized confirm the riding an SL without the internal battery installed is in the acceptable use parameters?

Ok the last item in the FAQ 'almost' confirms this.
Spoke to them about this. They have not yet tested / certified it to be ridden without a battery. But the battery is not required for structural integrity.

Anecdotally it’s fine to ride without BUT they cannot yet officially say so.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Spoke to them about this. They have not yet tested / certified it to be ridden without a battery. But the battery is not required for structural integrity.

Anecdotally it’s fine to ride without BUT they cannot yet officially say so.

Thanks Rob. I guess Specialized need to decide their policy on this as people may be considering flyability for riding as a benefit of the SL when purchasing. I've seen it mentioned in reviews but I don't think I have in official Spesh media.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Some extra interesting bits from the EBR article :

ACCESSORIES:

Zee Cage II Right Bottle Holder
SWAT CC Multitool Stem-Integrated (Without Chain Tool)
Full-Wrap Rubberized Chain Stay Slap Guard
Rubberized Seat Stay Slap Guard
Clear Rubberized Sticker on Downtube
Optional Range Extender Battery Pack ($450, 46.8 Volts, 3.35 Amp Hours, 160 Watt Hours, 2.3lbs 1.04kg)
Range Extender Cable ($45)
SLY Charging Split Cable ($65)
Replacement Charger ($200)
Optional Replacement Battery ($700)
Optional TCD LCD Display ($90, Battery Percentage, Pedal Cadence, Speed, Distance, Trip Time, Odometer, Calories, Pedal Watts, Time)

Not sure if that means that the range extender doesn't come with a cable, or you can just buy spares.

With the Charging split cable, you can charge the main battery and a range extender at the same time. I'm not sure if this results in a slower overall charge time than charging the main battery individually ?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Not sure if that means that the range extender doesn't come with a cable, or you can just buy spares.

I don’t think it does come with the cable.
You only need 1 cable for 2 or 3 range extenders - so why supply one at all. Easy way to make an extra £25!

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
Also just figured out you can not charge the rage extender by its self. You must use the y cable hooked into the bike..kinda sucks if you have more than 1 rage extender

Bencab

Feb 13, 2020
California
Also just figured out you can not charge the rage extender by its self. You must use the y cable hooked into the bike..kinda sucks if you have more than 1 rage extender
Vin - that is odd. I was able to charge the extender by itself using the regular cable that comes with the charger; do not use the Y cable if charging the extender by itself.

What you cannot do is charging 2 extenders using the Y cable.

Last edited:

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
Vin - that is odd. I was able to charge the extender by itself using the regular cable that comes with the charge; do not use the Y cable if charging the extender by itself.

What you cannot do is charging 2 extenders using the Y cable.
Ohhhh good point..I didn’t try that....i had the Y cable still hooked up

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
You of course can charge the range extender by itself. Just unplug the cable at the top of the range extender and plug in the bike charger. I initially thought that as well so no worries.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
Can anyone help..Specialized website quotes "2x You (240 watts)" for the Levo SL and "4x You (565 watts)" for the Levo. Do the figures in brackets relate to the maximum power to be supplied by the motor? Also, if rider effort is 100w, will the Levo SL motor add 200w and the Levo motor add 400w, making a total (rider+motor) of 300w and 500w respectively? Or will the Levo SL motor simply amplify the rider power by 2x to make a total (rider+motor) of 200w and the Levo motor amplify the rider power by 4x to make a total (rider+motor) of 400w?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Can anyone help..Specialized website quotes "2x You (240 watts)" for the Levo SL and "4x You (565 watts)" for the Levo. Do the figures in brackets relate to the maximum power to be supplied by the motor? Also, if rider effort is 100w, will the Levo SL motor add 200w and the Levo motor add 400w, making a total (rider+motor) of 300w and 500w respectively? Or will the Levo SL motor simply amplify the rider power by 2x to make a total (rider+motor) of 200w and the Levo motor amplify the rider power by 4x to make a total (rider+motor) of 400w?
That's the power from the motor arriving at the cranks, after efficiency losses are taken into account.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Do you know the answer to the 2nd bit?
The second bit is far more complicated..... To both work out and know what that actually converts to in real world situations. In the real world you're rarely riding at peak all the time, plus there are various settings you can adjust which will affect how that power is applied in relation to how you pedal.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
So at 100% if I am putting in 240 W is the motor adding another 240 W or do I put in 120 W and the motor adds 240 W? Also it appears that the "2x" may actually be 1.8x. I don't mind that, I really like the SL, it suits the way I ride and is great fun to ride (90% of the time at 35% Eco).

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
The second bit is far more complicated..... To both work out and know what that actually converts to in real world situations. In the real world you're rarely riding at peak all the time, plus there are various settings you can adjust which will affect how that power is applied in relation to how you pedal.
Yeah I'm just trying to compare he power/weight/capacity of the levo and levo SL when delivering a set amount of power but can't seem to get to the bottom of whether the 2x and 4x are in addition to the rider input. Other threads do talk about it but no real definitive answer.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
There’s plenty of discussion about what the 4x/2xYou means in the pinned post Understanding Support vs Peak Power in Mission Control App v2.0 - EMTB Forums
maybe it’s helpful.

I have read all the posts (and downloaded the spreadsheet), it is helpful but there still seems to be some confusion and differences in interpretation of how the power is applied. I have an SL so at least there are no shuttle/accel settings to think about. For now it seems the consensus is I will get my power plus 1.8x added (up to 240 W) if I am at 100% and my cadence is sufficient.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
I have read all the posts (and downloaded the spreadsheet), it is helpful but there still seems to be some confusion and differences in interpretation of how the power is applied. I have an SL so at least there are no shuttle/accel settings to think about. For now it seems the consensus is I will get my power plus 1.8x added (up to 240 W) if I am at 100% and my cadence is sufficient.
Thanks for that.i don't really need an exact number more just a comparison of apples to apples between the Levo and the SL. So looks like 2x/4x is in addition to rider power.up to max the motor can provide.

michaeldorian

Jul 25, 2018
California
Thanks for that.i don't really need an exact number more just a comparison of apples to apples between the Levo and the SL. So looks like 2x/4x is in addition to rider power.up to max the motor can provide.

2x / 4x feels right. I own both. The SL feels very underpowered when coming from the LEVO. ECO SL just barely takes the edge off. Think ECO in LEVO is Trail in SL.

And it is 2x / 4x your own pedal power. Roughly.

Vasspi

Jan 13, 2020
Greece
Hi Rob !Glad to see all these useful information, as current owner of a brand new Levo SL Comp 2021 . My previous Kenevo expert sold at once after one year of usage and only 470km performed....
I would like to ask if anyone knows what is the exact tightening torque for the front fork in order to disappear-reduce any “play” ?
Thank you

6E47B536-2266-4332-BF0B-DCA41D7F3F99.jpeg

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Hi Rob !Glad to see all these useful information, as current owner of a brand new Levo SL Comp 2021 . My previous Kenevo expert sold at once after one year of usage and only 470km performed....
I would like to ask if anyone knows what is the exact tightening torque for the front fork in order to disappear-reduce any “play” ?
Thank you

View attachment 52477
You just need to tighten your bike's head set

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Thank you

View attachment 52477
There is no torque figure, it's done by feel more than torque, same with any aheadset on any bike. Lots of info on Youtube.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles